Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite hard(ish)-to finds

Posted by dietzjm 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 17:10

One of the main reasons why I use this forum is to learn about different cultivars that I would like to add to my own garden. (I think Ken uses the term "enabling.") Since it is the dead of winter, let's post pictures of our favorite conifers that some may haven't seen or heard of before. I'll go first with my young plants:

Picea omorika 'Osmaston #1': The needles are blue-green and are much smaller than other omorika's I have. Stanley's description says that the plant's foliage looks like that of a seedling's at a old age. This plant "pushes" multiple times during the growing season, about 2" per year.
Photobucket

Picea glauca 'Hudsonii': Again, you have to do some hunting around for this guy. The plant has bright blue needles and forms a fairly tight pyramid eventually. It has bright red cones in the spring.
Photobucket

Picea pungens 'Montana Ave': New growth is a bright green-blue. By late summer rolls around the color is a striking steel blue with slightly green undertones. Grows about 2-3" per year.
Photobucket

Picea abies 'Gold Strike': New growth is bright yellow-green. This weeping plant has smaller needles and seasonal growth than 'Gold Drift'. Compared to my 'Gold Drift', it has much more yellow on the tops of the needles, which it retains in winter. (I find my 'Gold Drift' fades in winter.)This picture does not do the plant justice. It had just come out of the box. It grew about 4 inches this year.
Photobucket

Picea glauca 'Ducharme': I wouldn't consider this plant rare, per say, but its not the easiest to find. It grows about 1-2" per year and has a nice turquoise color. It grows irregularly.
Photobucket

Picea abies 'Tufty': An awesome plant unlike any other Picea abies cultivar. It has extremely tiny needles which hug tightly to the stems, giving it an eerie appearance. Google this to see images of larger specimens, which are even more striking.
Photobucket

Share some of yours!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite hard(ish)-to finds

Not hard to find, just hard-ish.

Abies concolor 'Piggelmee'

Photobucket

Picea abies 'Calvary Upright'

Photobucket

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Chirimen'

Photobucket

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Baby Blue Ice'

Photobucket

This may be harder to find...

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Ruth Alice'

Photobucket

tj

o

Wow! Some incredibly interesting varieties. I can't figure out how to post photos, can anybody give me a clue?

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

o

I had the same problem trying to figure out how to post pictures. I down load the pictures to photo bucket and then copy the picture from photo bucket to this site. But like said in an earlier posting I had to have an early twenty something nephew show me how.

Great pictures posted, all my hard(ish)-to finds are under snow, thankfully

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 11:40

Most of my hard to find specimens are coming this spring.

Here are a few that I felt weren't readily available. I've only been in the game for a year though!

Picea mariana 'Golden'
Photobucket

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'
Photobucket

Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling' Aka 'Sulpher Flush'
Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling'

Picea glauca 'Dent' - sorry bad picture. Should look good come spring.
Photobucket

o

Some nice plants here!

Pinus monophylla 'Eureka'

o

@ formandfoliage- Hit the link.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic Posting

o

Oh boy oh boy...enabling you certainly are. There are some very nice looking conifer photos posted.

dietzjm - I love Picea abies 'Tufty', that sure is a very unique looking conifer. I love it. I also like Picea omorika 'Osmaston #1' (what does the #1 mean?), Picea abies 'Gold Strike', Picea glauca 'Ducharme' (love the blue/green coloring)and Picea abies 'Gold Strike'. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Tj - Concolors are probably one of my favorite conifers. I love the larger, fleshy looking needles. Also, with grafting a couple, I've learned they have a very citrus like smell. The blue coloring of Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Baby Blue Ice' sure is stunning.

Whaas - Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling' Aka 'Sulpher Flush' is gorgeous. I bet in the spring as that one gets older the cream colored flush will get more noticeable. Picea glauca 'Dent' also seems to have a very nice lighter colored spring flush. Very nice.

Nate - I've never even heard of the monophylla. Pinus monophylla 'Eureka' very interesting, I tried looking for photos of a mature plant but only saw photos of young plants. I think this is going to be a very nice looking plant once it puts some size on.

Thank you all for taking the time to share photos. At this time in my conifer hobby I don't know which conifers are hard to come by. I do know I've added quite a few to my want list. Mostly, I'm really enjoying growing on cuttings and grafting right now. It has been quite an adventure which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 11:00

Chamaecyparis obtusa, 'Gold Fern'.
I'm making a new bed and it's going to play a prominent part.
Mike
IMG_0165

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here