Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dietzjm

Your favorite hard(ish)-to finds

dietzjm
12 years ago

One of the main reasons why I use this forum is to learn about different cultivars that I would like to add to my own garden. (I think Ken uses the term "enabling.") Since it is the dead of winter, let's post pictures of our favorite conifers that some may haven't seen or heard of before. I'll go first with my young plants:

Picea omorika 'Osmaston #1': The needles are blue-green and are much smaller than other omorika's I have. Stanley's description says that the plant's foliage looks like that of a seedling's at a old age. This plant "pushes" multiple times during the growing season, about 2" per year.

{{gwi:635344}}

Picea glauca 'Hudsonii': Again, you have to do some hunting around for this guy. The plant has bright blue needles and forms a fairly tight pyramid eventually. It has bright red cones in the spring.

{{gwi:635345}}

Picea pungens 'Montana Ave': New growth is a bright green-blue. By late summer rolls around the color is a striking steel blue with slightly green undertones. Grows about 2-3" per year.

{{gwi:635346}}

Picea abies 'Gold Strike': New growth is bright yellow-green. This weeping plant has smaller needles and seasonal growth than 'Gold Drift'. Compared to my 'Gold Drift', it has much more yellow on the tops of the needles, which it retains in winter. (I find my 'Gold Drift' fades in winter.)This picture does not do the plant justice. It had just come out of the box. It grew about 4 inches this year.

{{gwi:635347}}

Picea glauca 'Ducharme': I wouldn't consider this plant rare, per say, but its not the easiest to find. It grows about 1-2" per year and has a nice turquoise color. It grows irregularly.

{{gwi:635348}}

Picea abies 'Tufty': An awesome plant unlike any other Picea abies cultivar. It has extremely tiny needles which hug tightly to the stems, giving it an eerie appearance. Google this to see images of larger specimens, which are even more striking.

{{gwi:635349}}

Share some of yours!

Comments (8)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Not hard to find, just hard-ish.

Abies concolor 'Piggelmee'

{{gwi:613751}}

Picea abies 'Calvary Upright'

{{gwi:635351}}

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Chirimen'

{{gwi:635353}}

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Baby Blue Ice'

{{gwi:635355}}

This may be harder to find...

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Ruth Alice'

{{gwi:606109}}

tj

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Wow! Some incredibly interesting varieties. I can't figure out how to post photos, can anybody give me a clue?

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

• harv2016
    12 years ago

I had the same problem trying to figure out how to post pictures. I down load the pictures to photo bucket and then copy the picture from photo bucket to this site. But like said in an earlier posting I had to have an early twenty something nephew show me how.

Great pictures posted, all my hard(ish)-to finds are under snow, thankfully

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Most of my hard to find specimens are coming this spring.

Here are a few that I felt weren't readily available. I've only been in the game for a year though!

Picea mariana 'Golden'
    {{gwi:635356}}

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'
    {{gwi:465650}}

Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling' Aka 'Sulpher Flush'
    {{gwi:635358}}

Picea glauca 'Dent' - sorry bad picture. Should look good come spring.
    {{gwi:599430}}

• sluice
    12 years ago

Some nice plants here!

Pinus monophylla 'Eureka'
    {{gwi:635361}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

@ formandfoliage- Hit the link.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic Posting

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Oh boy oh boy...enabling you certainly are. There are some very nice looking conifer photos posted.

dietzjm - I love Picea abies 'Tufty', that sure is a very unique looking conifer. I love it. I also like Picea omorika 'Osmaston #1' (what does the #1 mean?), Picea abies 'Gold Strike', Picea glauca 'Ducharme' (love the blue/green coloring)and Picea abies 'Gold Strike'. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Tj - Concolors are probably one of my favorite conifers. I love the larger, fleshy looking needles. Also, with grafting a couple, I've learned they have a very citrus like smell. The blue coloring of Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Baby Blue Ice' sure is stunning.

Whaas - Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling' Aka 'Sulpher Flush' is gorgeous. I bet in the spring as that one gets older the cream colored flush will get more noticeable. Picea glauca 'Dent' also seems to have a very nice lighter colored spring flush. Very nice.

Nate - I've never even heard of the monophylla. Pinus monophylla 'Eureka' very interesting, I tried looking for photos of a mature plant but only saw photos of young plants. I think this is going to be a very nice looking plant once it puts some size on.

Thank you all for taking the time to share photos. At this time in my conifer hobby I don't know which conifers are hard to come by. I do know I've added quite a few to my want list. Mostly, I'm really enjoying growing on cuttings and grafting right now. It has been quite an adventure which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

• botann
    12 years ago

Chamaecyparis obtusa, 'Gold Fern'.
    I'm making a new bed and it's going to play a prominent part.
    Mike
    {{gwi:635363}}