Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fotisr

Scion collecting

fotisr
11 years ago

Finally everything worked my way and I made the trip I had in mind for weeks. I visited the place where I found Abies cephalonica 'Filip's Colour Catcher' and few other trees. That was 380km and back, total of 11 hours drive and one hour to walk the mountain cut scions and take images. I last visited this place in Dec 2010. So, 2 growing seasons later I got the chance to view the progress of 'my' trees! However, this is probably the last time I visit the mother tree but I've cut all the scions I could and now they are on their way to Netherlands! Edwin propagates the plant and it will be on sale in spring or fall 2014.
Here is the mother tree. Over 5m tall now with vigorous growth of 40cm (~1.5 feet) last year. No variegated branches below 1,4m but many above. Happy to see strong variegation continuing to exist even on high branches close to the top.
{{gwi:635723}}
{{gwi:635724}}
{{gwi:635725}}

It's my understanding that if the completely variegated branches are propagated, the grafts will be completely variegated with no pure green branches. True? The two year old graft shows 2 years of pure variegated growth.
Abies cephalonica 'Filip's Colour Catcher'
{{gwi:635726}}
The variegation is stronger with more sun than a new graft gets.

Also got the chance to inspect my other tree. This was a dwarf of yellow colour and very small needles, with leader growth of less than 5cm (2in). Shows very stable growth pattern that gives a unique look to the tree. Happy to observe that the tree continued it's bizzare habbit the past two growing seasons with less than 4cm leader growth last spring. Though somewhat less yellow this January than Dec 2010, but then again everything is less yellow this winter here.
Abies cephalonica -SK2-
{{gwi:635727}}
{{gwi:635728}}

stable, dwarf growth
{{gwi:635729}}

However, under propagation lost it's nice winter color. I guess it's enviromental. Kept dwarf growth and needles though.
{{gwi:635730}}

Back to the mountains above my garden, I had spotted a (winter only?) yellow Juniperus communis with great color. It was time to collect cuttings for Edwin. I only had to walk 1,5km in the snow, climb a steep slope and back to the car fast, before the road freezes.
{{gwi:635731}}

Also I found last summer an interesting Juniperus communis WB, but unfortunately it was unreachable due to heavy snowfall.
{{gwi:635732}}

Cool stuff...
Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz