Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sequoiadendron and Calocedrus survived -14F and -50 windchill

Posted by shastensis (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 17:58

I half expected the sequioadendron to be dead by now, but here in z5 chicago it has survived four years now. The calocedrus and cupressus bakeri of course survived fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sequoiadendron and Calocedrus survived -14F and -50 windchill

That's a small pseudolarix to the left there

o

Cupressus bakeri came through no problem. Platycladus seedling to its left.

o

Plants don't "know" anything about windchill.

o

In and of itself, no, but wind can dry out conifers and make freeze damage potentially worse.

o

My C. obtusa 'Chirimen' sure didn't like -17f. Dead. :(

o

But those plants won't like each other before long . . . far too close together! That Pseudolarix won't do too well when the Sequoiadendron has a trunk a metre in diameter ;-)

Resin

o

I agree and also to close to the wall.

Wolfgang

o

On the other hand, their proximity to the house may be their saving grace, due to its moderating effect on temp. and wind.

o

No advice was requested regarding the proximity of the plantings, but the thought is appreciated. The sequoiadendron is mainly an experiment, and should it survive a few more winters, the pseudolarix will be moved. Same regarding the Platycladus. Seeing as how the lot is small, I did not have the luxury to plant them far apart. Instead I must plant and see what does best and cull or move the rest. But really, thank you. The point of this post was mostly about seeing that these plants survived the recent cold spell. Heh heh...jeez.

o

Also, hairmetal, thank you for promptly handling the aforementioned idiotic question.

o

You are right shastensis. I have also a lot of windchill the whole winter and have lost in the first years a lot of plants p.e. ca 10 Sequoiadendron cultivars, Sequoia,Cupressus a.s.o.
So you must find a place with less windchill or stop planting.Try and error.
I do the same.

Wolfgang

o

shastensis, I think Resin was "just trying to be helpful."
I do the same thing myself...put small plants near the house. Though in my case it's also because it's less of a hassle to water them than to try to drag a hose around 3 acres. But they have a way of getting away from you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here