Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Maybe we can get something going here...

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

A long winter indeed. Cabin fever has long taken over here in the Midwest. I am sure for those to the north and east you have had enough also..

A low ,so far, of -11 F. here in Kansas City with little or no moisture.. One day it's 60 F. the next -2 F. This has happen at least 2-3 times a week for the last month. February is our big snow month so hopefully this will come about. We had 24" a year ago last February of the heavy wet stuff that had plenty of moisture content.

I transplanted 11 conifers last October and have been carrying buckets of water to them when the weather is warm enough for the ground to thaw. Looks like I only lost one. A newly planted Cedrus deodara. 'Raywood's Prostrate Dwarf'. that was part of my new dry creek bed I added last October. All other Cedrus deodara survived. I suppose my one up micro-climate had something to do with that.

Hope all is going well for the rest of you. Chin up. In two, three months for some of you, we will have something to talk about.

Any of you got a pick me up?

Post it.

Nothing else to say. Just rambling along. Getting ready to clean my nose print off the window. The yellow/cold cultivars are front and center and beautiful to behold. Oh yes! The Picea pungens with their waxy blue color along with Picea omorika blue/green candle presentation make my day. Every year a little more grass disappears and I have plans to remove some more. I know the grass hates to see nose prints on the window in winter time. It knows what's coming.

Dave

My pick me up.

{{gwi:636211}}

Comments (35)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Well, we've hit -18F here near Milwaukee and I can't remember when we were last above freezing. About 10 or so inches above normal snowfall this season but mostly in 2-3 inch events.

My "Thinkin' Spring" pick me up.

{{gwi:636214}}

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 19:40

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Dave, I've been getting rid of grass too. Moles, not space, is what's driving me. At least I can work almost all winter long. Transplanting and pruning have taken up most of my time this winter. Oh, and firewood. I work a chainsaw more than a shovel and pruners combined. The older I get, the older it gets. Transplanting and pruning never get old though. It's the creative process that gets me going.
    Mike...taking a break from the rain.
    {{gwi:131415}}

• pineresin
    10 years ago

{{gwi:636218}}

Resin

• nuconiferlvr
    10 years ago

tjâ¦â¦I loved your Thinking Spring "pick me up" photo.
    Can you write the name of the pine? Looks like a Pinus parvifloraâ¦..??cultivar??? Thanks

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

A little shot of springs past! Nice thread, and fantastic photos.
    * Nucon, I think tj is showing 'Bergman'. Hopefully he will look back in.
    Al

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

nuconiferlvr- It is indeed a P. parviflora 'Bergman'. Mine is kinda scrawny. Look for a pic of one from dansgrdn here. He has a very nice one.

tj

• harv2016
    10 years ago

I'll play along, I know this is waiting under the foot of snow on the ground. Been a long winter in South Dakota, but spring is right around the corner

I{{gwi:636220}}

• zephyrgal
    10 years ago

And here's my spring fling. Reports for another cold spell this week in the Pacific NW. Wishing you all the best.

• basic
    10 years ago

WOW, Zephyrgal, that's nice. I'll take a stab at the three that I think makes it pop: flowering cherry, Nootka Cypress, and weeping Norway spruce? It's all good, and the Alberta Spruce (?) is nice, but those three do it for me. I suspect this picture will change dramatically over the next several years.

• hungrymind
    10 years ago

Great idea Dave, also great photos everybody. I always like seeing other gardens. Its been a brown winter until last night we got a little more than a inch of the white stuff. Harv, have you noticed any wind up your way?LOL!
    Rob

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Foggy October Morning:
    {{gwi:636221}}

Sunflower Heads Feeder in Conifer Collection: November
    {{gwi:636222}}

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Great pictures, everybody. Spring will be especially welcome this year after the coldest winter in recent memory. A real test to the recent USDA zonal upgrade.

If you look closely, you can see my daughter hidden away in the corner of this spring photo...

{{gwi:636223}}

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 10:26

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Harv, I like your picture.
    What are the names of the groundcovers you're using?
    I see you have a couple of pink flamingos. I had two also.
    They followed my kids all over the garden. I never knew where they were going to be next. I even had names for them. They finally died of old age and went to recycle heaven. RIP Tongue and Cheek
    Mike

• thetman
    10 years ago

one from last spring..seems so long ago. going to be a busy week for storms- weather says three are coming this week, can hardly wait. not! c'mon spring.
    {{gwi:636224}}

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/swbm7b.jpg[/IMG]

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Where's the winter fast forward button? I can't find it anywhere...

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Malus 'Prairie Fire'

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

And 'Magyar' opened up

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Last one "Prostrate Beauty' just after it was planted. It's brownish green now. Hope it's OK

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Always a winter welcome sight:
    {{gwi:636228}}

Dax

• basic
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of Larix laricina from this past fall. One is nice, but a pure stand such as this is...golden.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Very nice, Basic! A grand species indeed, right here at home!

+oM

• basic
    10 years ago

+oM, I agree completely. We've got a few up here that make the cold almost bearable. Almost...

• garcanad
    10 years ago

Why is this winter has to be extra early, record low temperature, worst ice storm etc. when I finally get hold of a real Cedrus deodara to try....These may be the last shots that they still look green:
    Cedrus deodara 'Eiswinter':
    {{gwi:636231}}

Pinus wallichiana 'Frosty' (in its 3rd year):
    {{gwi:636233}}

A newly discovered 20 years old Picea pungens "Horizontalis" soon to be renamed Picea pungens "Deadis":
    {{gwi:636234}}

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Hmm...I didn't know wallichiana could survive such cold temps.

• gardens1
    10 years ago

My gardens are young, and when we moved here not quite five years ago, no one had lived here for 10-15 years, so first couple of years were strictly clean-up and trying to do some fixing in the house. The was nary a trace of any plantings that had ever been done on this 100+ year old farm. The only conifers of any size were a couple of native thuja occidentalis at the corner of the house of all places, and some young ones springing up beside the pond and drive. Thankfully, across the fence at the side of our yard, on the neighbour's property, nothing is done with it as it gets swampy, but it is filled with native thuja, pinous resinosa, and larix laricina. It helps with the white world outside!
    Garcan, I love your tongue in cheek picea pungens!

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

Thank you for this thread.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wannabegardner...thank you.

Hopefully we are not done. I know there are a lot more great photos out there and I want to thank everybody that has responded so far. Beautiful gardens.

Dave

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Dave, since you asked....
    View from bedroom.
    Mike
    {{gwi:636235}}

• garcanad
    10 years ago

That's an enchanting view: rich in plantings and yet one can feel the space, order and not chaos, just enough colours to fire up lasting spirit.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

I took this picture of some wild yarrow growing at my house. It has been my laptop background since =)

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

That sure is nice, j0nd03.
    My garden could use some Yarrow.
    I had some colored ones for awhile, but they disappeared.
    Probably drowned. ;-)
    Mike

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

"Probably drowned"

Such is the misery of drought loving plants living in your otherwise pristine gardening oasis hahaha

How do you keep all that sedum alive? ;-)

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Remember I said February is our snow month.

My friend the southern jet stream which brings all the snow storms to the Midwest finally kicked in.

12" on the flat. Much neded moisture for sure.

That's 'Chief Joseph' sticking his head out of the snow to get some air and show off.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 14:04

• hungrymind
    10 years ago

I hate to be a jerk here but I need to collect a few of these before spring gets here. The Chief Joseph looks great Dave. Great photos everyone else! I got to get me a few Larix laricina.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Certainly a brutal winter in which spring can't get here soon enough. Coldest Winter since 81'/82' with 32 days below zero and counting.

{{gwi:636237}}

{{gwi:360473}}

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?