Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe we can get something going here...

Posted by Davesconifers 5 Shawnee Ks (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 18:01

A long winter indeed. Cabin fever has long taken over here in the Midwest. I am sure for those to the north and east you have had enough also..

A low ,so far, of -11 F. here in Kansas City with little or no moisture.. One day it's 60 F. the next -2 F. This has happen at least 2-3 times a week for the last month. February is our big snow month so hopefully this will come about. We had 24" a year ago last February of the heavy wet stuff that had plenty of moisture content.

I transplanted 11 conifers last October and have been carrying buckets of water to them when the weather is warm enough for the ground to thaw. Looks like I only lost one. A newly planted Cedrus deodara. 'Raywood's Prostrate Dwarf'. that was part of my new dry creek bed I added last October. All other Cedrus deodara survived. I suppose my one up micro-climate had something to do with that.

Hope all is going well for the rest of you. Chin up. In two, three months for some of you, we will have something to talk about.

Any of you got a pick me up?

Post it.

Nothing else to say. Just rambling along. Getting ready to clean my nose print off the window. The yellow/cold cultivars are front and center and beautiful to behold. Oh yes! The Picea pungens with their waxy blue color along with Picea omorika blue/green candle presentation make my day. Every year a little more grass disappears and I have plans to remove some more. I know the grass hates to see nose prints on the window in winter time. It knows what's coming.

Dave

My pick me up.

photo IMG_5791.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe we can get something going here...

Well, we've hit -18F here near Milwaukee and I can't remember when we were last above freezing. About 10 or so inches above normal snowfall this season but mostly in 2-3 inch events.

My "Thinkin' Spring" pick me up.

photo hmontpin.jpg

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 19:40

o

Dave, I've been getting rid of grass too. Moles, not space, is what's driving me. At least I can work almost all winter long. Transplanting and pruning have taken up most of my time this winter. Oh, and firewood. I work a chainsaw more than a shovel and pruners combined. The older I get, the older it gets. Transplanting and pruning never get old though. It's the creative process that gets me going.
Mike...taking a break from the rain.
Morning in the garden photo 2214714740036511179.jpg

o

Resin

o

tj……I loved your Thinking Spring "pick me up" photo.
Can you write the name of the pine? Looks like a Pinus parviflora…..??cultivar??? Thanks

o

A little shot of springs past! Nice thread, and fantastic photos.
* Nucon, I think tj is showing 'Bergman'. Hopefully he will look back in.
Al

o

nuconiferlvr- It is indeed a P. parviflora 'Bergman'. Mine is kinda scrawny. Look for a pic of one from dansgrdn here. He has a very nice one.

tj

o

I'll play along, I know this is waiting under the foot of snow on the ground. Been a long winter in South Dakota, but spring is right around the corner

I photo DSC00073_zps5e56d0ea.jpg

o

And here's my spring fling. Reports for another cold spell this week in the Pacific NW. Wishing you all the best.

o

WOW, Zephyrgal, that's nice. I'll take a stab at the three that I think makes it pop: flowering cherry, Nootka Cypress, and weeping Norway spruce? It's all good, and the Alberta Spruce (?) is nice, but those three do it for me. I suspect this picture will change dramatically over the next several years.

o

Great idea Dave, also great photos everybody. I always like seeing other gardens. Its been a brown winter until last night we got a little more than a inch of the white stuff. Harv, have you noticed any wind up your way?LOL!
Rob

o

Foggy October Morning:
Foggy October Morning photo AledoProperty20133250foggymorningOtober2.jpg

Sunflower Heads Feeder in Conifer Collection: November
Sunflower Heads Feeder in Conifer Collection November photo AledoProperty20133272SunflowerFeeder.jpg

o

Great pictures, everybody. Spring will be especially welcome this year after the coldest winter in recent memory. A real test to the recent USDA zonal upgrade.

If you look closely, you can see my daughter hidden away in the corner of this spring photo...

photo IMG_1544.jpg

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 10:26

o

Harv, I like your picture.
What are the names of the groundcovers you're using?
I see you have a couple of pink flamingos. I had two also.
They followed my kids all over the garden. I never knew where they were going to be next. I even had names for them. They finally died of old age and went to recycle heaven. RIP Tongue and Cheek
Mike

o

one from last spring..seems so long ago. going to be a busy week for storms- weather says three are coming this week, can hardly wait. not! c'mon spring.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/swbm7b.jpg[/IMG]

o

Where's the winter fast forward button? I can't find it anywhere...

o

Malus 'Prairie Fire'

o

And 'Magyar' opened up

o

Last one "Prostrate Beauty' just after it was planted. It's brownish green now. Hope it's OK

o

Always a winter welcome sight:
 photo 006.jpg

Dax

o

Here's a pic of Larix laricina from this past fall. One is nice, but a pure stand such as this is...golden.

o

Very nice, Basic! A grand species indeed, right here at home!

+oM

o

+oM, I agree completely. We've got a few up here that make the cold almost bearable. Almost...

o

Why is this winter has to be extra early, record low temperature, worst ice storm etc. when I finally get hold of a real Cedrus deodara to try....These may be the last shots that they still look green:
Cedrus deodara 'Eiswinter':

Pinus wallichiana 'Frosty' (in its 3rd year):

A newly discovered 20 years old Picea pungens "Horizontalis" soon to be renamed Picea pungens "Deadis":

o

Hmm...I didn't know wallichiana could survive such cold temps.

o

My gardens are young, and when we moved here not quite five years ago, no one had lived here for 10-15 years, so first couple of years were strictly clean-up and trying to do some fixing in the house. The was nary a trace of any plantings that had ever been done on this 100+ year old farm. The only conifers of any size were a couple of native thuja occidentalis at the corner of the house of all places, and some young ones springing up beside the pond and drive. Thankfully, across the fence at the side of our yard, on the neighbour's property, nothing is done with it as it gets swampy, but it is filled with native thuja, pinous resinosa, and larix laricina. It helps with the white world outside!
Garcan, I love your tongue in cheek picea pungens!

o

Thank you for this thread.

o

wannabegardner...thank you.

Hopefully we are not done. I know there are a lot more great photos out there and I want to thank everybody that has responded so far. Beautiful gardens.

Dave

o

Dave, since you asked....
View from bedroom.
Mike
 photo 2241211120036511179.jpg

o

That's an enchanting view: rich in plantings and yet one can feel the space, order and not chaos, just enough colours to fire up lasting spirit.

o

I took this picture of some wild yarrow growing at my house. It has been my laptop background since =)

o

That sure is nice, j0nd03.
My garden could use some Yarrow.
I had some colored ones for awhile, but they disappeared.
Probably drowned. ;-)
Mike

o

"Probably drowned"

Such is the misery of drought loving plants living in your otherwise pristine gardening oasis hahaha

How do you keep all that sedum alive? ;-)

o

Remember I said February is our snow month.

My friend the southern jet stream which brings all the snow storms to the Midwest finally kicked in.

12" on the flat. Much neded moisture for sure.

That's 'Chief Joseph' sticking his head out of the snow to get some air and show off.

Dave

photo IMG_0812.jpg

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 14:04

o

I hate to be a jerk here but I need to collect a few of these before spring gets here. The Chief Joseph looks great Dave. Great photos everyone else! I got to get me a few Larix laricina.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 10:14

Certainly a brutal winter in which spring can't get here soon enough. Coldest Winter since 81'/82' with 32 days below zero and counting.

photo P1020697.jpg

photo P1020775.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here