Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runnergirlsrock

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Glauca Pendula' or 'Graceful Grace'

Sara
9 years ago

Hi and Happy New Year! I am trying to decide between Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Glauca Pendula' or 'Graceful Grace' for spring planting. I have read the specs and found pictures online and they both are beautiful. Just wondering if anyone has a preference for one or the other. I have just the right spot/space for one of them. Thanks kindly.

Sara

Comments (9)

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Graceful Grace will grow wonderfully in Northern IL whereas most all Douglas firs struggle immensely due to our humidity (both needle disease and stunted growth).

Dax

• Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Dax, Thanks for the information, that's really helpful. I'll go with Graceful Grace.

Sara

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont understand your comment dax ....

the green one will thrive.. but the blue one wont???? ... isnt that what it boils down to?????

i was going to say its a color choice ... but i dont live in IN ..

both do fine just south of ann arbor ... near adrian ...

ken

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Maybe your sand helps a lot Ken, seriously! (at least temporarily - many more years than folks with humidity and humus rich soils will have healthy specimens) but there will come a day that the humidity will win in your sand pit as well. The native climates don't match is the key issue.

Douglas fir is prone to needle diseases (big-time) as are most of the native Colorado conifers. Picea pungens will thrive for only so long here. Pinus reflexa (sold as flexilis) also has it's time limit. I'm sure aristata will fall in the same category as will Pinus monophylla or Pinus edulis; Heck maybe even engelmann spruce...

And whatever else I may be missing.

Dax
    P.s. Sara's profile does say IL but Indiana isn't going to be a lick different.

• Sara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is all good info, I don't have experience with growing Douglas Fir. The mature conifers on our property (planted 30+ years ago by the original owners) are blue spruce and norway spruce. We're 40-some miles west of Chicago between St. Charles and Dekalb, it definitely gets super hot and humid here. Probably located not too far from you Dax. Glad for the warmer weather today!

Sara

9 years ago

IN.. IL ... whats the difference.. lol .... until you go south towards TN ...

ken

• gardener365
    9 years ago

On the other side of the state Sara... near Aledo.

Dax

9 years ago

what am i missing here???

if they are both Pseudotsuga menziesii .. as OP notes [maybe i should look it up ] ....

why would one thrive.. and one not.. or is this the left and right side of the mountains thing???? ... east and west ???

it cant be blue vs green ...

ken

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

>why would one thrive.. and one not.. or is this the left and right side of the mountains thing???? ... east and west ???

it cant be blue vs green ...'Graceful Grace' is based upon two long-established specimens growing on an eastern property. Stock I have seen here has been grayish in color, also when I saw pictures of the two "original"* ones these were grayish in aspect.

*As there was a matching pair apparently it was planted as a clone on that site, implying it had been named and distributed before being propagated as 'Graceful Grace'

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 12:48