Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingeborgdot

Help with plant choice.

Scott
11 years ago

I am looking for a conifer that has the size characteristics of either the Picea mariana Blue Teardrops or Picea abies Gold Dust. Both have a 4x2 10 yr projected growth by what I have read and seen. I could use one of these two again but was looking for another plant if I could. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

so nothing matters but its size on day one of year ten ...

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 10:43

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ken, you always seem to make things more complicated then they need to be. :) There are many forms of dwarf ken. Some 6" x 4, 4'x4' etc. I really don't care about color at this point. Just the shape of the plant which is in the shape of a 4x2 plant like the Blue Teardrops and Gold Dust. I am just looking for suggestions that people have tried and like is all. I can look at picture after picture and look at size until I am blue in the face, but I just like to talk to actual people and hear what they have tried and like in that category is all.

This post was edited by ingeborgdot on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 8:45

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Hey ingeborgdot, I favor 'Sester Dwarf' as one in that category.

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like it. I will take a look at it a little more. I looks like a wonderful plant.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Another possible...in that category. Pinus leucodermis 'Irish Bell'

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know it is really hard to find plants to fit certain areas if you have not seen the adult plants or talked to people with the adult plants of 10 years or more. Looking at the given 10 year size of this plant on different sites I find anything from 16"x12" in 10 to 8'x4' to 15'x6' etc. Why is there such a broad spectrum. I understand that not all things grow the same in different areas but this is crazy. How old is your spruce plant? What size is it now?

This post was edited by ingeborgdot on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 9:46

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like that also. I think I like the smaller needles of the spruce though for the area it will be going into but that is a really nice plant. I am not ruling this plant out though. Thanks so much. meow.

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

ingeborgdot

I'll run this by you just in case. You know the 4x2 size will only stay with you for several years. What is needed is a slow growth rate. It will take longer to get at desired height but stay in that given area longer.

One that will come close to your requirements is Pinus longaeva 'Sherwood Compact,

See link for addition information.

I have others I can recommend if interested.

Dave

In my garden.

{{gwi:636477}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwood Compact

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I understand that. I am looking for shape or form which the 4x2 gets it close to what I am looking for. I have a Sherwood Compact and it is a nice plant also. Dave, I am always interested in people's opinions and recommendations. I want more height than width and a narrower shape. I am actually getting to a point where it is more difficult to find plants because I have so many and just am looking for other possible choices if that is possible. With everyones great help I am sure I can find something. Thanks for your response.

This post was edited by ingeborgdot on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 10:51

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the Sester's Dwarf but can't seem to find a supplier for it. That seems to be the case more and more.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Oriental Garden Supply out of New York might have that plant yet.

One recommendation is to possibly get a plant that responds well to pruning, ie Pinus parviflora. That way you can control it if need be. Fork pruning on spruce is another strategy.

Depending on your growing conditions Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta' can grow as little as 2" a year. Some sources list the 10 year dims as low as 3' x 1.5'.

Dan has some nice ones. He has superb growing mixes and weather so his show a stronger growth rate. I have a 5 year old that is maybe 18" x 12".

http://www.etsy.com/listing/109205816/abies-lasiocarpa-arizonica-glauca

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the abies choice. Looks like it pretty tough.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals