o
Pine ID

Posted by cwcervantes 9A (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 18:58

Hello! Could anyone ID this pine tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine ID

Not a pine at all, but Araucaria columnaris - closely related to Norfolk island pine (Araucaria heterophylla) - also not a true pine.

o

Thank you for the id. These are grown as ornamentals around here in New Orleans. Do you know if cuttings can be rooted?

o

Wow, I'm surprised its warm enough in NO for them to survive. They are dead by November here due to the cold (but common in South Florida, of course).

Yes, you can root cuttings, but it isn't worth it. They are sold everywhere as "Norfolk Island Pine". You see them in Lowes, Walmart etc. and in florist shops, especially around Christmas time - and usually you can find some in shops year around. If you want to root a cutting, you need to cut the leader as side branches, if they root, will never grow upright into a tree and will always be a branch.

o

Yes, they have been here even through light snows. I just checked and the USDA hardiness zone for my zip was changed this year to 9B. The trees I've seen have all been under 30 ft but are pretty common in yards.
Doing some more research I did find that it is early to find a "Norfolk Island Pine" but that it most likely is A. columnaris not heterophylla. I think I like columnaris better so that works for me!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 20:04

With those long tennis racket branches I'd say this particular one was actually a real Norfolk Island pine and not a Cook pine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here