Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Collecting Cryptomeria Seeds

Hey, folks!

This year, I was lucky enough to get a cone on my Cryptomeria japonica 'Sekkan.'
I noticed the green cone in September. I am wondering if I have already missed the window
to harvest seeds from this cone?
Thanks for your help!

Josh

Comments (9)

• treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNY
    11 years ago

The cone scales are open, so some seed may have already shed. I would carefully remove it from the tree, place it in a paper bag, and shake vigorously. If there are seeds left in it this may free them up. You can also peak between the cone scales and tease any seeds out with tweezers.

Whether or not the seed produced is viable will be another story. If there are no other Cryptomeria around, then the number of viable seeds produced may be low. It's worth a shot to see what grows!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Treeguy! I will do exactly as you say, and report back :-)
    The only other Cryptomeria around are the ones I have in containers, and they haven't
    produced any pollen that I've seen. Maybe it's time to get a couple more in the ground.

Josh

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

When the cone is so brown, most of the seed has fallen out. Bring the cone inside for 1 or 2 days in the warmth, then it will open a bit more. Then you shake and the rest of seed will fall out.
    Next year do not wait so long, take it earlier away before it opens.
    I have my seed dry in the fridge till February/March to sow out under glass or wait till May/June and then try it outside.

Good luck

Wolfgang

• sugi
    11 years ago

I do Cryptomerias seeding every years, the species and cultivars. I pick up seeds in october/november when the green cones change to brown, as said Wolfgang, you wait about one week that they have dried.
    I sow directly in small box outside or sometimes in december or early january if i don't had time before (so the seeds stored in the refrigerator).
    Thus the strtification is natural outside until the germination.

For example you can see below the 2012 seeding.

Early March:
    {{gwi:637006}}

Early April
    {{gwi:637007}}

Cryptomeria jap. 'Rasen' seedling in June.
    {{gwi:637008}}

Cryptomeria jap. 'Sekkan' seedling in June, you can see few white color charactere.
    {{gwi:637009}}

Cryptomeria jap. 2years old without special charactere will be use as rootstock.
    {{gwi:637010}}

Julien

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wolfgang and Julien, thank you for the information!
    Julien, wonderful illustrative pictures, too.

I think I lucked out this time, but I will collect the cone/s sooner next time for sure.
    When I placed my hand on the cone this morning, many seeds fell into the palm of my hand.
    I brought the cone inside and gently shook it out over a piece of paper. About 40 seeds.

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

Oh,Josh, a lot of seeds in such a brown cone. Great luck.
    The bigger ones are good and will normally germinate. The smaller ones normally have less chance.

But try all and you can watch.

Wolfgang

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

in hosta.. the way to tell is whether there is a kernel there or not..

sterile ones.. for lack of a better term.. are all wing.. no guts ...

now i ask..

in hosta.. the seeds are hard coated.. and once dry.. you can put the wing and all in a tea strainer.. and simply grind off the wing ... leaving only shiny black seeds ...

some think the wing.. is where all the bad potential pathogens are.. so keeping them out of the rooting media.. avoids such causing problems after germination..

DOES ANY OF THAT FOLLOW WITH CONIFERS???

ken

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Wolfgang, I was surprised there were this many...
    another strong wind and I would have lost them all, I think!
    Tomorrow I'll prepare a container and sow the seeds.

Josh

Original Author
    11 years ago

The seeds have been sown, and the long wait begins :-)

In the meantime, I thought I'd share some pics of the parent tree....
    The frosty, pastel purple highlights are yet to come - right now I'm enjoying the gold.

{{gwi:637011}}

{{gwi:637012}}

{{gwi:637013}}

Josh

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH