Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Juniperus communis 'Kalebob Summer/Winter

A wide, somewhat open plant. Nothing really special in Summer, in fact it's prickly and fairly blah.
{{gwi:637195}}

This Winter, it's a standout.
{{gwi:637196}}

-Will

Comments (10)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Love, love, love this plant. Mine is almost orange now. Thx for posting.
    Sara

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Juniperus communis 'Kalebab' is the correct name Will... :o)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The original name Mr. Barabits gave to it was Juniperus communis 'Delibab'.
    I don't know (yet) who changed it into 'Kalebab'...
    It was discovered in 1975.

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

Yes, Barabits thought that Delibab will no one understand. The word means false vision in very hot air, you see somethimg which is not there. Like in deserts, you see an oasis and nothing there.
    I fear that Kalebab means nothing. The plant is excellent.
    Its among the first wintergold type conifer discoveries.

Will, your winter photo is beautiful.

Zsolt
    conifertreasury.org

Juniperus communis Delibab

Wild found in the Istvandi Juniper Forest HUN. Slow growing male clone with superb colours: bright yellow in winter, bright green in spring, dark green in summer and bronze in autumn. Original plant in the Avasi Arboretum, Miskolc HUN.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conifer Treasury of Hungary 2.0 2011

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

Edwin, the name may changed between Barabits and Larry Stanley via Holland. Around 2000 it was listed by Larry as Kalebab. The nice one of Will may come also from there anyhow.
    Zsolt

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, great history fellas. Sorry this beautiful plant has been so brutally changed in the transition to different states. We can only do the right thing now and honor it with the correct spelling,

Juniperus communis 'Delibab'. Thanks guys.
    {{gwi:637196}}

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

No ...whatever it's name was before 'Kalebab' is now the name it has been sold, listed and registered under as far as I can see, so that is the name that should be used ..

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey will..

i hope you noted its mature size.. lol ...

many juniper root.. you might want to fool around with such.. if you want to keep a specimen in your garden ...

have you figured out what to do with plants.. as you need to move them out??... have you considered being the next chubb .. and donating to some local arb????

thx for the pix ....

ken

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

Stephen,
    I recommend you the last information of Delibab in the useful link above:
    /Kalebab/ in HOL & USA and the rest of the world.

You can take my description absolutely authentic as it born during an interview with Barabits in 1994, who was also a hungarian as me too.
    See: Barabits Elemer Life Monument, 1995, Breeder's Hall, conifertreasury.org.

There are a lot of conifers which got known with renamed names. Decades ago people thought, that a good plant requires an english name for a better carriere in business. This times are over. Peoples realized that plants must be sold at home first, but foreign names are negative to local buyers.

Among 5500 czech conifers are 2 with english names: one for Bobby Fincham and another for Maurice Gibb. Czechs say, if their conifers are really good, anyone can learn it even Kladrubce, Vysoky or all.

We have to learn, that naming is not only business, but part of national cultures.

Zsolt

Here is a link that might be useful: Barabits Elemer Life Monument 1995

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

I know what you are saying Zsolt, and in principle I do agree, but once a plant has been listed, registered and sold under a particular name, and is well known under that name, then that is that name that should be retained, otherwise it just causes more confusion which is one thing I think we should all work together to eradicate. I think there are many conifers that are well known under different names that were probably never intended by the originators, it's just not practical to keep changing names back to something else once they have become well known under a different name.