Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shastensis

fitzroya cupressoides seedlings

shastensis
10 years ago

This really only applies to those of you in Northern California, Oregon and Washington, but we have a ton of fitzroya seedlings at Strybing we are trying to get rid of. This tree needs good sun and lots of water and humidity and is not very cold tolerant below 15 f (maybe a bit more but not much).

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Would have to be hardier than that as latter day plantings up here have been persisting for awhile now. Not saying these will come through 0F or even 5F*, but 15F isn't that unusual around here. Even on the outer coast the lows aren't high enough for Cordyline australis to keep the trunk and develop ~normally until you get down to around Coos Bay.

*Although perhaps a few have already

• arauquoia
    10 years ago

Shastensis,

Tell us how to order/purchase. I'd like to get some for friends and family in Northern CA, OR, and WA.

Thanks.

• abciximab
    10 years ago

Arauquoia
    Will they grow in GA? You have pretty of sun and humidity.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

abc,
    Probably won't grow in Georgia. Might survive for a couple years before getting root rot. For the same reason you don't see any permanent monkey puzzles in GA. If you were above 2500 ft. in the mountains, summers might be cool enough, but then the winters would be too cold. (I was watching temps. on the "wundermap" during this latest freeze and this was very noticeable. You just can't "beat the system" in the southern Appalachians. Anywhere that has truly cool summers (You have pretty of sun and humidity.

Do you mean in the Bay Area? Nope. Not what we call humidity. I doubt the dewpoint has ever been above 65F there...which is less than the average in most of the SE US. Yes, they have fog, but when the fog burns off the air is actually relatively dry. In fact the reason the fog can nucleate is because dry air is interacting with a marine layer. The same can't happen when all layers of the atmosphere are already saturated with moisture, which is why you don't get the fog "rolling in" to New Orleans every morning, for example...at least not in the summer as it does in San Francisco. OTOH, it can happen there in the winter when there's overall less moisture in the air column, which is why one of the worst fog-related traffic accidents ever was in Mobile, AL, in March.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

@davidrt28; At the Koreshan State Historical Park near Naples, FL, there is a large monkey puzzle, and a large stump that was another one. Wondering what anomaly of site factors contributes to its (And for a while, their) survival so long. I was happy to see some little ones planted in the area where the other giant had stood.

None of which refutes anything in, or adds anything to this discussion. Just curious.

+oM

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Hi +oM - it's a mislabelled / misnamed Araucaria bidwillii (Bunya), not A. araucana (Monkey-puzzle). A species much better adapted to the south Florida climate.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: Panoramio photo

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

That explains it. Have you seen this tree, Resin? Quite impressive, especially for a region for which large conifers are almost exclusively Taxodium distichum or Pinus ellioti.

Nice bamboo forest there too! Invasive as all get out, but within the confines of this state park-and really, just one area of the park at that-quite remarkable.

+oM

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

Cunninghamias are always called Monkey Puzzle around here, you really can't tell anyone that it's not an actual Monkey Puzzle.

• shastensis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To order these You could try callingthe nursery at415-661-3090 but I'm not sure if they do mail order, they might be able to ship them though, its worth a try. I grew these from seed so I might even be willing to ship them for the nursery but I somewhat abhor going to the post office. Maybe you could schedule a FedEx pickup yourself and then mail the arboretum a check?

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Have you seen this tree, Resin?"

Nope - just did a search for photos of it on Panoramio, and found one, from which it is easily identifiable. But the site's own guidebook also says A. bidwillii (scroll below to tree #23)

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: Koreshan Guidebook (pdf file)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

"You could try calling the nursery at 415-661-3090 but I'm not sure if they do mail order"
    They don't, and California is (justifiably) pretty carefully about vetting mail order operations in the state to prevent the spread of sudden oak death and other potential pathogens.

• shastensis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

David, you are not quite right. The arboretum nursery DOES do mail order. These are seedlings I myself germinated. And shipments OUT of California are not scrutinized. Only shipments in.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

I'm sorry...I reread your first post. For some reason I thought these plants were at the UC Berkeley garden shop, which does not ship. At least not outside California. BTW, California most assuredly DOES vet nursery operations sending plants out of the state:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/interiorExclusion/SuddenOakDeath/