lou_spicewood_tx

Winter Fall Colors!!!

lou_spicewood_tx
11 years ago

{{gwi:637574}}

{{gwi:637576}}

{{gwi:637578}}

{{gwi:637579}}

Okay, they weren't much to look at for the moment. This is just a taste of what will come in a few years. Imagine that... winter color instead of fall color!

Oh yeah, they are taxodium hybrids - in the order - 27, 406, 407, and 502.

If anyone not familiar with these, they can check out the link below (except for 27).

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxiodium hybrids

Comments (8)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

Interesting stuff.

Perhaps I skipped it while reading on the phone during a break. What kind of cold hardiness are they expecting? Any chance of breeding with the native taxodium here or still too early to tell?

If I could get Christmas time fall color from one it would be neat.

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

lou,

Interesting... where did you purchase yours?

Side bar: The sod. Looks dead and poorly laid. Did it take hold before Winter set in?

Dave

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Always like the taxodiums you show. So what kind of minimum temps have they seen this year? We've had a mild winter thus far and my 'Peve Minaret' still has a few needles on it.

tj

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toronado, They came from USA that Chinese brought in to do breeding. They are still native. No idea on the cold hardiness. That was the purpose of trial for me to do for my alma mater SFASU who was responsible for bringing them into USA from China.

Dcsteg, Dr. Creech from SFASU gave them to me to do some trialing. The grass is bermuda. Very typical for it to turn brown at the time of the year. The roots sure rooted into the ground when I pulled them out to plant these trees. Bermuda is most hated by southern gardeners so I'm glad to be able to get rid of them before they fully rooted in. I think the problem is that they added a lot of topsoil to the property and it's kinda unstable. Takes a while for it to settle down. Not much I can do at the moment but bermuda will do fine.

Tsugajunkie,

Around mid 25F* a few times in December while in the pots. Who knows how they will do in the ground. Seems that 406 and 502 are the most evergreen out of all. My brother posted a picture of 406 that looks like its in the summer but it was taken a couple weeks ago! The location for it is warmer and wetter (northwest of Houston) but bald cypress trees are "bald" by then. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I gave my brother a lot of taxodium cones of various taxodium trees for him to plant at various elementary schools over the past few years.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

beach ball pic.. and all the new construction. what are the established plants on the other side of the fence????

it brings me joy.. to see the kids toys litter the yard .. while dad [???] plants his garden ... many memories .. all projects involving the wheelbarrow had to start with 5 minutes of WB rides.. and finish with the same .... and many time outs every time i touched the thing.. lol ..

my dissectum lose all leaves.. will these be shed.. or will they re-green in spring .... [i did not read the prior posts, so forgive me if its a stupid question .. and i do see the evergreen comment]

thanks for the post ....

ken

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ken,

Yes, I have a 7 years old daughter that sometimes help me with plants. She has been doing since she could walk. I had to get her a little shovel to help dig a hole. Lol. These hybrids will eventually shed leaves perhaps within the next week or two. No idea. Then they start to push out new green buds in mid February and leaf out in late Feburary/early March before most trees even do anything. So that means, they're leafless for only 4-6 weeks. Pretty cool trees.

The trees on the other side are Escarpment Live Oak and Ashe Juniper which both dominate in this area (so called the hill country of Texas). There are some Texas Red Oak as well but not that many.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Hill Country

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Lou, congrats on the new house too!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Whaas!