Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare Root White Pines

Posted by greatplainsturf 6/7 OK (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 20:11

I am looking to add a row of white pines as a windbreak at my house. There is a company onlineplantnursery.com that sells bare root for a good price. They even have up to 5 footers. What is the success rate for bare root conifers? Is this a good idea? What are your experiences?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare Root White Pines

Have had good luck with bare-root Loblolly Pine in north Louisiana. The seedlings were approx. 9-14" tall and were planted in January. Survival rate was about 85%. Rainfall there is about 55" yearly.
If you plant seedlings much above 18" tall would assume you will need to provide supplemental watering. The Loblolly is native to the area I planted them in. Is White Pine native to your area of Oklahoma? I seem to remember seeing Shortleaf Pine in eastern Oklahoma, but don't remember seeing other varieties of pine there.
Arizona Cypress or Eastern Red Cedar should be able to grow there if you;re open to a conifer other than pine. Both of them can make good windbreaks.
Good luck.

o

I purchased a Douglas fir that was about 9" tall. It is planted in a pine grove in a spot where seedlings from the grove were growing. The soil is rich and damp, and mulched with about 3" of pine straw.. 4 days later, it is happy and growing. It receives morning shade from the grove and afternoon sun.

o

hey .. long time.. no time ...

are we talking about P strobus???

in MI... once established.. they do 3 to 6 feet per year ...

how big is your yard... one might suggest.. that these forest trees.. are way beyond the normal suburban garden ....

when i moved in to this house.. i had some ten footers about 15 feet from the house... and i could have taken them down myself ...

8 years later... they were 30 to 40 feet... lost their leaders twice in ice storms.. and it cost me a grand to have them surgically removed ... and that was just making them fall down.. i did all the removal ...

unless you have 5 plus acres... and i know you dont... and can place them 30 to 50 feet from the house ... i would suggest you find something more suited to your location ...

of course.. how that all works in OK is beyond me ....

also.. IMHO.. a 12 to 24 inch, 3 year old seedling.. will outgrow a 5 foot transplant.. inside 5 years... once again.. you are forcing size as your determinative factor [didnt you have enough trouble with your other large transplants???>

i would suggest t call to your county extension office to see what they recommend for your project ...

strobus fits in the category of 'fast growing' .. and as far as i am concerned .... that means fast to problems ...

my local county soil conservation district offers them in spring.. at about 2 feet.. for about 2 or 3 bucks .... see link also ...

i am really thinking.. this is not the plant for your yard ...

ken

ps: conifers are trees... frankly... they are all planted bare root... there is no issue there .. other than doing it properly.. with proper followup ....

Here is a link that might be useful: EWPIN43 3-YR. SEEDLINGS 10-20 $2.59 each in lots of 5

o

fyi,
Can't address your particular transplant question, only add that there are allot of them planted here in Northwest Arkansas. Many of them do well, many do well for a number of years then die. MANY died in the droughts of the last few years. By that I don't mean newly planted trees. One in particular was probable 45-50' tall. Of course many other trees did not make it as well, but they seem fine with some drought, but get a more serious drought, and they start dropping.

scotjute,
Can't speak for the original poster's location, but there are VERY few native conifers to my area. Shortleaf Pine and Eastern Red Cedar are the only ones that come to mind. Would expect it to be similar for the OP.

Arktrees

o

BTW .... wind breaks are otherwise called 'soil conservation' ...

there are soil conservation districts in every county in the US ... you might want to look that up ...

mine actually sell plants.. extremely cheap for said project ...

no clue if in OK ... well.. actually.. i do have a clue ... but i am not going to tell you ... lol ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: OK i will tell you ... its a pun ... skip the first link

o

I have another strobus that I purchased locally a couple of years ago. My question is really about purchasing bare root. I just don't have experience with them. Is there anything I need to know about planting them. I'd like to avoid some of the beginners learning curve if possible.

o

• Posted by cococo 7 Nashville (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:54

I purchase bare root white pines from the state for windbreak and to shade out the blackberry stands. they are very hardy when winter planted.I never water after planting.It is important that the hole is deep enough that the root is straight and not cramped up.I use a drill with a small bulb auger and can plant 250 seedlings in an afternoon.They should do quite well in your area.Once established they grow very rapidly.

o

cococo
can you put a picture of the bulb auger on here or email it to me? I have what I thought were 200 loblolly to plant this winter as it turns out its 1000. Really would like to get it done in one weekend? Have a dibble bar but looking for more options for more people. Sorry for the hijack GREATPLAIN. loblolly seedlings do great In my area.

o

Some tips from planting the Loblollies bare-root, up to 14" size. Keep the roots moist till they're planted. Do not let the roots freeze. Roots should be laid outstraight, not curled back up - better to cut them off and have what you planted down straight. We used common spades for planting them but there are specialty tools available. If possible water after planting.
From planting 10 pecans bare root last week - 3' of tap root with 3'-4' of trunk,follow the above and : have about 1/2 the holes pre-dug, plan on watering when planting and again within one week to help settle the dirt in around the roots.
Sure others will chime in with some additional tips.

o

I will post picture of auger tonight and my windbreak this weekend.I was told in my zone to not water after planting and my do fine.The advice on no water was from the local cooperative extension agency where purchased. To water or not water after plantng may be based on local climates and soil conditions.We have alot of winter rainfall here. Hope this helps.

o

• Posted by cococo 7 Nashville (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 20:21

Here is the pic you requested.This powers through rock and clay very we'll.Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here