Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scpalmnut

Denver Botanic Gardens

scpalmnut
11 years ago

Have been stuck inside today due to inclement weather so thought I would post a few pictures from my globetrotting garden adventures last year. First up is Denver Botanic Gardens, which had a great selection of conifers and other high elevation xeric plants.

{{gwi:638540}}

{{gwi:638541}}

{{gwi:638542}}

{{gwi:638543}}

{{gwi:638544}}

{{gwi:638545}}

{{gwi:638546}}

{{gwi:638547}}

One of the finest alpine collections that I have ever seen. This is just one of many beds.
{{gwi:638548}}

{{gwi:638549}}

Comments (14)

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice tour! I really like 'Mary Ann Haecock'...think I have to find me one of those. The last picture is classic, love the serenity.

What month were these photos taken?

Thanks for sharing, look forward to the further chronicles of your globetrotting garden expeditions.

Alex

• Cher
    11 years ago

Great photos. The long shots are beautiful and I also love that last shot.
    Cher

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

I was there last summer! Did you find the couple beat up metasequoias they have? I would describe their location as down from the entrance 3/4 of the way and "on the left". If I am right about the ponds being on the north side of the garden they are on the south.

• severnside
    11 years ago

What's the nearest conifer in pic #2?

Pinus flexilis 'Damfino' is d**n fine indeed.

• kbguess
    11 years ago

Nice tour. Great warm up on a brisk IA day. Thanks

Alex, you can get MAH from Laporte Avenue Nursery. They used to supply High Country Gardens which went out of business last year. I have never purchased directly from Laporte but the plants from HCG seemed of good quality.

Keith

Here is a link that might be useful: Laporte

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Kick A$$. Love the aristata's in photo 2.

Appreciate it.

Dax

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"What's the nearest conifer in pic #2?"

Ditto to Dax, it's Pinus aristata.

Resin

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

What a beautiful tour. I really like the water gardens with the conifers draping over the water. How beautiful.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

scpalmnut,

Thanks for the tour. I need to visit DBG again! It's nice to see what'll grow in our harsh climate.

bbguess, High Country Gardens recently updated their website indicating they are gearing up to continue online only. Many local gardeners were quite bummed out when they closed!

I paid a visit to Kirk Fieseler at LaPorte last spring. He's got some nice little trees that have done really well for me. I'm finally getting the buy small and local advice!

Barb

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

thx for the effort of doing a large post of pix ...

ken

• severnside
    11 years ago

Ditto to Dax, it's Pinus aristata.

Resin

Thanks Resin. Woolly branches, maybe I've been looking at the very old ones more than the young ones.

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Gotta love the bristlecones.

The pond scene looks like a combo of Rocky Mnt alpine/Japanese gardens. I'm guessing the low-slung pines are some Ponderosa selections...

• floramakros
    11 years ago

"What's the nearest conifer in pic #2"

I love Pinus aristata, especially the flecks of resin on the needles, but I'm much more interested in the alien spacecraft rising out of the pond in pic #1!

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I visited there a few years ago. Wonderful botanic garden. I was not as interested in trees then as I have since become. It looks as though I need to make a return visit.

Another superb botanic garden is the one in Omaha, Nebraska, the Lauritzen Gardens. It features various Nebraska plant communities, including an oak-hickory grove, but I remember some conifers as well.

Rosefolly