Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hobbiton conifers of the month, January

Posted by firefightergardener 7/8 (fletchonthemove@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 20:55

A handful of conifer cultivars that looked perky today in the cold Winter sun.

Pinus strobus 'Sarah Rachel'
Photobucket

Picea glauca 'Burning Well' - So distinct in Winter.
Photobucket

Pinus parviflora 'Blue Lou'
Photobucket

Tsuga mertensiana 'Powder Blue'
Photobucket

Pinus densiflora 'Vibrant'
Photobucket

Picea orientalis 'Schovenhorst' - Growing faster then reputation has it... Possible the wrong cultivar.
Photobucket

Abies koreana 'Brevifolia' - Highly interesting foliage.
Photobucket

Pinus banksiana 'Broom' - Probably not a legitimate name.
Photobucket

Abies koreana 'Kohout's Hexe'
Photobucket

Pinus flexilis 'Ririe'
Photobucket

-Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hobbiton conifers of the month, January

I quite like that 'Burning Well.' It probably stays tiny, though...booo!

o

Pulling out the big guns on us. Some I know I haven't seen you post.

Thanks Will,

Dax

o

What a treat to see your amazing conifers. I also enjoyed very much seeing the overall look of your landscape from the pictures you posted last week. The color range has so much contrast, and the textures create a very nice sense of movement. That can't be easy to do, especially with a collection as large as yours. Thanks for sharing it.

o

Picea glauca 'Burning Well' - So distinct in Winter.

==>> you dont know what winter is ... and you dont know how conifers look in 6 degree F .. lol ... now thats winter ...

thx for taking the time to post ..

ken

o

Some very nice plants shown here. 'Ririe' looks like a real winner. Mind if I ask, where did you get that one?

Alex

o

I like a lot your Tsuga mertensiana 'Powder Blue'. This one is certainly in my wish list! And Pinus densiflora 'Vibrant' color is dazzling!!

Thank you for you nice pictures, Ireena

o

Alex, I believe 'Ririe' is a plant I obtained during a visit to Stanley and Sons nursery. Larry Stanley has a vast collection but is still wholesale only and requires certain criterea for orders. The good news is there are dozens of small flexilis, other names include 'Dakota' 'J. Michael' and 'Antero'. :)

-Will

o

Adding to Ken's comment about winter, in another thread Will showed pinus mugo 'Carstens' bright yellow. Here in zone 5 mine only gets yellowish-green, but we also had one night of -11 dgrs F. This year I am lucky to see it at all, only 8 inches of snow left. Bernd

o

Hey will,

Your gardens are beautiful as usual. I really like Pinus densiflora 'Vibrant'. Does it really stay that lime color most of the year?

Thanks for sharing the photos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here