Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 21:58

My latest video.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube: Grafting Oaks/Beech

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak/Beech Grafting

Nice!

What types of oaks and beech are you grafting this season?

o

Couldn't get any beech this season.

I'm grafting oaks like a madman!
From a private collection!
I've only seen one cultivar so far for sale in the U.S.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Quercus at Sooner Plant Farm

o

Hey Dax. Great video! Is this the same procedure for Taxodium and Ginkgo grafting? How do you rehydrate the scions 1/2hr - 1.5hr before grafting?

Patrick

o

Taxoidum are grafted just like other conifers: i.e. bud strip and into a tenting chamber. Ginkgo are grafted same as oaks however they are not submerged in wax. Keep Ginkgo on heat mats either inside a tenting chamber (winter) or on racks with bottom heat. Ginkgo are very easy.

Re-hydrate: I filled my kitchen sink, rubber-banded all the sticks in groups with labels and tossed them in and set a timer. You snip off the bottom of the scions prior so they are more capable of absorbing water.

Another method for really dried wood is to use a five gallon bucket and fill it half full and add one cap full of 'Superthrive' and soak them the same way.

Pat them dry, snip off the end again, and graft them.

Dax

o

Quercus-Oak Grafts Completed and Waxed on Bottom Heat
Oak-Quercus Grafts Completed & Waxed and on Bottom Heat

Waxed Quercus-Oak Scions Close-up:
Photobucket

Dax

o

Hey Dax,

Great video on grafting Oaks. Once you've completed the grafting is it necessary to place them under tenting and additional humidity also?

You do some very interesting grafting. You are very lucky!

o

Nope you can just put them on a table once they are waxed. I'll repeat you need bottom heat, at least until the scions fully leaf, then remove the understock and you can take them off the heat mats.

Dax

o

Good luck with your grafting Dax

o

Thanks my man.

Dax

o

Great video Dax. Question - what is the reason for dipping them in wax?
Cher

o

So the wood & buds/union don't dry out.

Dax

o

Hey Dax, That is really cool that you take the time and effort to make that movie. Real enjoyable. Ive grafted a number of ap maples over the years, but nothing as organized as you.Fun to watch...Thanks!

o
RE: Oak/Beech Grafting cont

I'll keep the trend alive and record summer grafting of maples and ginkgo, as well.

Appreciate the words.

Dax

o
RE: Oak/Beech/Japanese maple Winter Grafting

Should've mentioned this is how you graft Japanese maples in the winter as well.

Dax

o

Dax,

You should consider building a hot callus setup. It would save you from all the waxing and graft seal business. Plus, you can regraft what dosent callus up after a few weeks before leaf out.

When I graft beech and oak I try to hang the wood as low as possible, just above soil level. Often you see these plants with an unsightly bulge at the graft union, especially beech. The lower you graft the less likely you are to see this. Actually, I try to do this with everything I graft, except for standards.

Nice video.

o

Thank you, thank you. I realize my grafts aren't perfect & appreciate the constructive criticism.

I'm sure I'll be fine the way I'm going with waxing. I know someone who gets the same results waxing as on a pipe, so, I'll stick around and continue to do them like this. Even bagging them works great for him. It's a lot about how well you take care of the bagged grafts - opening the bags daily, or with the waxed grafts, how well (you) do along the process.

Well I'm talking to a guy who's been around a lot longer than myself. I don't need to keep going.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and inspiration & everything you've done for me.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here