Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floramakros

Favorite Ginkgos

floramakros
11 years ago

This post is inspired by a thread from 5 years ago which discussed everyone's favorite ginkgo cultivars, I figure it's time for an update including the ones not widely available or not available at all at that time, everyone with something to add please feel free to chime in, here are my thoughts:

Ginkgo biloba 'Beijing Gold' is the most spectacular variegated ginkgo I've ever seen. It would be beautiful enough if only for its variegated summer leaves that turn to brilliant gold in the fall. But what really makes it outstanding is that the new spring foliage comes out yellow! Its leaves change colors throughout the entire season and no two consecutive years have the same pattern. It's like a living painting, or to be more precise, like you've hired a new artist to paint the leaves each year. As I said, the painting begins as soon as the buds burst and continues all the way until the leaves finally drop, remarkable, like an outstanding japanese maple cultivar. It wins my prize for most beautifully colored ginkgo. One picture alone can't capture its beauty, because of these changes you need several shots each season to fully capture it, that says it all in a nutshell...I got one last fall that was already dormant, I can't wait to see the show this year!

That's my vote for color, when it comes to form in my opinion nothing tops Ginkgo biloba 'Robbie's Twist'. That may surprise some of you who've only seen it as a straggly little guy (they're all males, lol ;-) at a nursery, but as the tree ages the twists become tighter and the form is much more upright and dense, as if a ginkgo had been crossed with Jack's giant beanstalk! This ginkgo tornado tops off at about 8 feet so it is much more manageable than it looks, and it looks like a topiary sculpture that took hundreds of wires and years of pruning to create (if the neighbors want to think that more power to you!). The truth is it does it all on its own. But that's not the end to the spectacular performance, it's also covered by (you can't make this up) fuzzy hairs that capture the light and make the whole plant glow, especially when it is covered with mist/dew and sunlight hits it! Needless to say I also have one of these, they both were impossible for me to resist. Cheers and Happy Growing!

Comments (16)

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

"Tops off at about 8 feet"
    You had me up until that quote. So when it reaches 8 feet in height the growth rate becomes zero? That would make it unique.

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol, I luv the folk on here who are literalists, one of the great perils of Internet communication...translated it means you'll be dealing with an 8-12ft on average tree not a much taller wild-type one grown for the same amount of time. No living tree stops growing, but you knew that already I'm sure. Now, if you're currently 15 years old and you plant a graftling Twist tomorrow and you're lucky enough to live to see your 95th birthday and your tree is lucky enough to survive that long as well and you haven't moved once since planting it and it has never been pruned or had a serious disease or been through severe freezing or drought and has never had broken branches due to stormy weather, deer, martians etc., then yes, you'll most likely see a taller tree than that but no cultivar's average heights are ever measured for such absolutes, it's totally impractical to weigh all the variables, they're only meant as planting space guidelines for those concerned with potential sizes, nothing more. It's even worse in the reptile hobby, all mature captive snake lengths for the large constrictors are pure guesstimates. We haven't been captive breeding them and keeping them in the proper conditions and proper diets long enough for any accuracy yet. And since most snake owners find it highly desirable to switch their fish/reptile/insect feeding species whenever possible to the much easier to supply and much more calorie rich diet of rodents, the adult lengths of countless species will explode as a result. The more frequent and nutritious a snake's meals, the longer it grows. All the max lengths so far are of adult snakes that were originally wild caught, not captive born well-fed disease and pest-free pampered pets, it's decades too soon for that yet. I will predict now, however, that every captive species length record currently standing will be broken in the next 50 years, like trees snakes keep growing throughout their lives, it's inevitable.

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    11 years ago

Some favorite Ginkgo's: Mariken

{{gwi:639695}}

Jade Butterflies
    {{gwi:639696}}

Also: Spring Grove. but no pic avail. as for Robbies Twist i have a row of 10 yr plants @ 6 ft.so i also question the 8 ft. estimate.
    john

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

If I could pick one decidious plant it would be Ginkgo! Its a tough choice over Sugar Maple, mainly because of the cultivar and size variability available with Ginkgo.

'White Lightning'....planted for my 5 year old puppy who is also nick named White Lightning.

Didn't get pics last year but as you can imagine it has white variegation vs. the typical yellow or cream.

I believe Whitman Farms still sells this cultivar if you are on the hunt.

John, splendid pictures. Are those plants pruned back on a regular basis?

• texjagman
    11 years ago

I don't stop growing either....out anyways :-)

As for Ginkgos I really like 'Blagon' better known as Gold Spire. Nice full but narrow growth pattern. In fact it is quite a bit tighter than my 'Fastigiata' and they're both about 6-8' at this point.

For variegated I also like 'Sunstream' and 'Beijing Gold'. I have to protect both of them from our hot summer sun here, but their leaves are beautiful. My two are still only 3' babies.

Mark

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Biased in favour of my own introduction of course - Ginkgo biloba 'Everton Broom'
    {{gwi:639697}}

{{gwi:639698}}

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

I want them all now. Looks like I will have to add one this year.

Whass, did your 'White lightening' obtain much verigation last year? I emailed Lucile Whitman about a year ago trying to obtain some info to help me decide between 'Majestic Butterflies' (another verigated ginkgo) and 'White Lightening'. She said that the verigation in most of the verigated ginkgos were not very prominent. She was nice enough to say that if I contacted her after they leafed out that she would pick me out a good one. Unfortunately I got preoccupied with other plants and forgot to contact her.

Thanks everyone for your enabling =^)

• picea
    11 years ago

My white lightning variegation has been spotty at best.

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    11 years ago

Whaas,Thank you. I've sent about a hundred scions off the Mariken to a friend in Oregon.The Jade Butterflies was pruned in youth,pot grown for maybe 6-8 yrs then planted about 8 yrs ago.Always shrubby and spreading with its leader taken out only once. The pictures are a few years old.
    john

• pastaetr
    11 years ago

'Peve Maribo' is my current favorite.

• pastaetr
    11 years ago

'Peve Maribo' is my current favorite.

{{!gwi}}

• Scott
    11 years ago

Where did you find this plant???

• River Runner
    7 years ago

From a thread in 2013:

"As for Ginkgos I really like 'Blagon' better known as Gold Spire. Nice full but narrow growth pattern. In fact it is quite a bit tighter than my 'Fastigiata' and they're both about 6-8' at this point."

I'm searching for Gold Spire, preferably balled and burlapped from a source in Oregon or Washington.

Anyone able to help?

Thank-you!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

have you tried a local high end nursery.. and see if they can order it in for you???

in the alternative.. have you called conifer kingdom???

ken

https://www.google.com/search?q=conifer+kingdom&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• baxswoh
    7 years ago

You should also consider Elmwood.