Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Four years of Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold'

I have two specimens in my gardens, both with some shade elements, but both coming off their 'training wheels' shade in the following year. I've shown both plants, from the last four years, and I will try and follow up with some photos this year after neighbors were moved to brighter pastures and both plants receive about 8 hours of direct sun this year. I wouldn't recommend it for new plants in your own garden, especially in places outside the Pacific Northwest, but 4 hours should be fine as long as you give it regular moisture.

The front specimen, shaded mildly by an Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira' and a few local friendly conifers.

{{gwi:639884}}
{{gwi:639885}}
{{gwi:639886}}
{{gwi:639887}}

My backyard specimen, first shaded by a Buddha then by a Chamaecyparis, it's more likely to cook this year but it might also be 'just right'.

{{gwi:639888}}
{{gwi:639889}}
{{gwi:639890}}
{{gwi:639891}}
Both plants are from Bob Fincham, Coenosium Gardens.

-Will

Comments (4)

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

I like the gradation showing the affects of sun and shade. It sure tells you where it can be placed to show it at it's best.
    Nice presentation, Will!
    Mike

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i am still seeing grass ... lol ...

so you attribute all the burn to sun??? ... i guess i could presume you water at will .. thats a pun ... plus the PNw and your moderate temps rule out drought and prolonged high heat ... and i suppose there is no lingering night heat .... and you dont have sand.... so what else could it be ...

mine is in full shade ... but unfortunately.. it doesnt color as yellow as one might wish ...

thanks for the pix ... and the effort to post them

ken

ps: do you grow momma???? .... skylands... same sun problems???? .. i am still working on the worlds ugliest skylands ... seems after ten years.. it might be getting enough roots down to grow up a little ... but also.. now that i think about it.. the oaks have provided much more shade .... but burn was never its only problem ... leader refusal was a bigger issue ...

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's the last grass you'll see in my photos Ken, at least of the growable kind - you know the other grass is legal here in my state.

I have grown Skylands without issue but I've also been conservative about it's location. I've finally moved a few to 8 hours sun and they are coloring up nicely.

In Summer, my little 'Tom Thumb Gold' plants will only get a drink once or twice a month, and not deep watering at that. I'd certainly say it's a combination of sun and lack of water, but more so the sun - we get roasted with 16+ hours of daylight here in Summer and very few clouds.

I'll post some photos in May/June/July/August this year and see how it tans.

-Will

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

This cultivar performance for good color is all about correct placement. If you can grow this cultivar under the canopy of a larger tree, in my case Metasequoia glypt. 'Miss Grace', it does quite well. Offer it the morning sun that goes to about noon or better. Then the afternoon sun is filtered leafing only 'Miss Grace can offer. You can see it at the top of the photo. That combination results in 'Tom Thumb Gold ' coloring up nicely and not being burned by the afternoon sun. It works for me..

Dave

{{gwi:673721}}

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 11:47