Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildforager

Cornus mas broom

wildforager
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm really not a conifer guy but witches brooms really intrigue me. I have found a really large broom on a box elder but I don't think that there is much demand for that. I'm really interested in Cornus mas. I only know of one dwarf C. mas called "Nana" and its a very rare cultivar. It could be the result of a broom but I'm not sure. Have any of the broom hunters on this forum ever found one on C. mas? Is it possible to induce a broom on a tree? Just the thought of finding or creating new brooms seems exciting. I can see why the posters on this forum have so much fun hunting brooms! Hope to hear from you.

Thanks,
Little John

Comments (17)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

A photo of it would be nice...

• wildforager
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A photo of what? A photo of a broom that I don't even know exists? Or the box elder broom I found?

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Of the broom you found...

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing...a pic of the broom you found please!

Personally I'd be more interested in a Acer negundo broom depending its habit.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

I would say no to being able to induce a broom.
    Although deciduous trees can and do have brooms. To the untrained eye, mistletoe, attached to trees can have a similar appearance.

Al

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

The deciduous tree most likely to produce a broom is a Ginkgoâ¦not a conifer but a gymnosperm. May be some connection.

• jarpe
    10 years ago

Broom with wanted qualities can be added to decorate treetop. When grafted into leader of fast growing young tree it probably grows faster too. Picture of such in link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: grafted oddities

• wildforager
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I had no idea that there would be any interest in the Box Elder broom! I posted a picture of it on our blog last year. Most people have no idea what a witches broom on a tree is. FYI, I'm a broom maker, so that can confuse the people who come to my website even more. I'll find that blog post, I'm sure there will be broom hunters who may want to add something to my post. Also, my pics are compressed for the web so they don't have the best resolution.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog post

• wildforager
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lets see if I can post a better pic here......

{{gwi:640249}}

• wildforager
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When you go to the photobucket page click the bottom right of the pic and view original. You can see the best detail that way. Its definitely not a squirrels nest or mistletoe. Mistletoe doesn't grow in WI anyway.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Yep John, Youve got yourself a broom there.
    And your blog was well written...as well.

Al

• wildforager
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool, thanks!

Now, to the main reason I'm posting here, as I understand it from the previous posts one cannot induce a witches broom. The wikipedia page says that there is a fungus that is commonly associated with brooms. Anyone think the fungus could be introduced to the host plant and in turn you make your own broom? This could be a new avenue for horticultural experiments!

I'm wondering if I can induce a broom on Cornus mas if no one has ever found one.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Various fungi are only one of many suspected causes of brooms. And then you must consider fungi tend to be host specific so in order to find one that lives in/on Cornus mas AND forms a broom AND doesn't kill the plant you may need to go through many plants before you hit on the right one.

tj

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pic!

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Sorry to interupt, but whaas, change your gardenweb settings so I can respond to the email you sent.

• ademink
    10 years ago

I have a very old cornus mas. No brooms thus far but would love to find one - my favorite deciduous tree by far.

• wildforager
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow, good to see you post here ademink! I've seen your post with picture of that magnificent tree. It is a beautiful tree! How is the fruit? I'd love to see some pics of them. Maybe we should start a new thread. I'll be happy to share pics of the C.mas wine and ice cream that I made.

Blessings,
    Little John