Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cornus mas broom

Posted by wildforager 5b-WI (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 23:57

Hello,

I'm really not a conifer guy but witches brooms really intrigue me. I have found a really large broom on a box elder but I don't think that there is much demand for that. I'm really interested in Cornus mas. I only know of one dwarf C. mas called "Nana" and its a very rare cultivar. It could be the result of a broom but I'm not sure. Have any of the broom hunters on this forum ever found one on C. mas? Is it possible to induce a broom on a tree? Just the thought of finding or creating new brooms seems exciting. I can see why the posters on this forum have so much fun hunting brooms! Hope to hear from you.

Thanks,
Little John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cornus mas broom

A photo of it would be nice...

o

A photo of what? A photo of a broom that I don't even know exists? Or the box elder broom I found?

o

Of the broom you found...

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 9:08

I was thinking the same thing...a pic of the broom you found please!

Personally I'd be more interested in a Acer negundo broom depending its habit.

o

I would say no to being able to induce a broom.
Although deciduous trees can and do have brooms. To the untrained eye, mistletoe, attached to trees can have a similar appearance.

Al

o

The deciduous tree most likely to produce a broom is a Ginkgo…not a conifer but a gymnosperm. May be some connection.

o

• Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 12:51

Broom with wanted qualities can be added to decorate treetop. When grafted into leader of fast growing young tree it probably grows faster too. Picture of such in link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: grafted oddities

o

Wow, I had no idea that there would be any interest in the Box Elder broom! I posted a picture of it on our blog last year. Most people have no idea what a witches broom on a tree is. FYI, I'm a broom maker, so that can confuse the people who come to my website even more. I'll find that blog post, I'm sure there will be broom hunters who may want to add something to my post. Also, my pics are compressed for the web so they don't have the best resolution.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog post

o

Lets see if I can post a better pic here......

Box Elder broom photo DSC08318_zpsbaaa9f17.jpg

o

When you go to the photobucket page click the bottom right of the pic and view original. You can see the best detail that way. Its definitely not a squirrels nest or mistletoe. Mistletoe doesn't grow in WI anyway.

o

Yep John, Youve got yourself a broom there.
And your blog was well written...as well.

Al

o

Cool, thanks!

Now, to the main reason I'm posting here, as I understand it from the previous posts one cannot induce a witches broom. The wikipedia page says that there is a fungus that is commonly associated with brooms. Anyone think the fungus could be introduced to the host plant and in turn you make your own broom? This could be a new avenue for horticultural experiments!

I'm wondering if I can induce a broom on Cornus mas if no one has ever found one.

o

Various fungi are only one of many suspected causes of brooms. And then you must consider fungi tend to be host specific so in order to find one that lives in/on Cornus mas AND forms a broom AND doesn't kill the plant you may need to go through many plants before you hit on the right one.

tj

o

Thanks for the pic!

o

Sorry to interupt, but whaas, change your gardenweb settings so I can respond to the email you sent.

o

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 16:47

I have a very old cornus mas. No brooms thus far but would love to find one - my favorite deciduous tree by far.

o

Oh wow, good to see you post here ademink! I've seen your post with picture of that magnificent tree. It is a beautiful tree! How is the fruit? I'd love to see some pics of them. Maybe we should start a new thread. I'll be happy to share pics of the C.mas wine and ice cream that I made.

Blessings,
Little John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here