Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingeborgdot

Who owns a Picea Abies "Aurea Magnifica

Scott
11 years ago

Anyone have this plant? If so, how old is yours?

Comments (30)

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Use to have one here, but not any more, removed it some years ago.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

how can it have a species name.. in the cultivar name???

perhaps it has been re-named???

hey blue.. no old pic??? .. or do you delete pix .. when you delete the plant ...

ken

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

I do have a 10 years old specimen at my Pinetum.
    Unfortunately no pic yet.

It seems to be a vary rare one...

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Never took a pic of mine ken ...

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, why did you remove it bluespruce53?

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How big is your 10 year old?

• deltaohioz5
    11 years ago

11-06-2006 Hidden Lake ... planted 1995

Frank

This post was edited by starterdude on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 11:29

11 years ago

it surprises me.. in the collection .. and considering how many pix i take ... that there are certain ones.. that are so uninspiring .. that i have only one or two pix of them ... perhaps at planting of a tiny babe ... and nothing after ...

though franks pic.. starterdude.. sure would make it not seem UN-inspiring ...

blue [indigo pungens?] redid his whole garden a few years back.. and stunned us all.. with what he edited from his collection ... wish i knew the title of that old post ...

ken

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Can't really remember now Ingeborgdot, was in the early development of the garden, just didn't fit in with what i wanted to do at the time I guess.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Mine is now about 3 metres (10 feet) high and is one of the brightest yellow conifers in my Pinetum for this moment.

'Aurea Magnifica' is much brighter in it's yellow needle colour then the other yellow Norway spruces like 'Aurea', Aurea Jakobsen' and 'Horstmann's Yellow Form'...

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How do you think it compares in size to Picea orientalis Skylands?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

'Aurea Magnifica' will grow wider then 'Skylands' as it ages...

• jarpe
    11 years ago

Mine is only 2 years old. Wonder when it can take full sun. Shade forming bushes arround it must remain, i think, for at least 2 summers.
    How would people here like to try trading conifer grafts by mail. I live in Finland, and we have only few cultivars here from `new continentômost of the nurseries there only mail products to US.
    During dormancy seedlings shoud travel ok.
    I have several cultivars of picea abies and pinus sylvestris, mutations like for examble aurea forms.
    These are originally found in Finland and some of wich have never even been on market. Have been found and traded only between collectors. I have been lucky enought to even find few mutations myself.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Can anyone share some info on the origin of this cultivar? I presume it's an old cultivar from the latin name. I would be interested to learn where and when was it found, by whom, etc.

Also, does it retain the bright gold color shown in the photo all year long? It's quite distinctive.

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 9:11

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Alex, there's no information about the finder of this cultivar.
    The only info I came across is that it was introduced in 1899 by Ottolander & Hooftman from Boskoop, The Netherlands.

This cultivar is a bright golden all year round, but more intensive during winter time...

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have seen nothing about it burning in the sun. I guess i will be finding out how much it can take. It will be in hot sun all day long for awhile in a newly established area.

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

{{gwi:640394}}
    My plant, 30 years old 10/12 metrers higt
    Clement

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just was talking to a guy that has this plant and it is 20 yrs old but just a little over 6 feet. Wow, how different plants grow in different climates.

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am getting a 4 year old plant. Will it still burn in the sun? I am going to try it and find out. Will the burning kill it?

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    3 years ago

Following

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago

You’re nothing if not patient, Al. Lol

tj

• Scott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I ended up getting rid of the plant. It was burned most of the time. I was not willing to wait any longer.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    3 years ago

lol tj......Just picked up a little one yesterday and came across the old thread doing a search...
    Not planted...sitting here in the pot
    ...Thanks Scott...

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago

Ignoring eventual size, color wise that looks good there, Al.

tj

3 years ago

boy thats a nicely grown specimen ... care to tell us where you got it???

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

I picked up a recent graft from Gee Farms based on the specimen I saw in the arboretum. Gary mentioned that it doesn't burn in full day sun. Wish the one I got looked as nice as your new one, but I like watching them grow up too.

next to Abies Fraseri 'Frederic' - whatever that is.

• Scott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My climate was just too tough on the Aurea Magnifica. I'm sure in other cooler climates, it should be just fine.

3 years ago

in colder zones.. many of the yellow tissued plants get winter burn ... so it not just cooler summer days.. it has to do with how protected the plant is from winter wind .. especially after winter winds are howling all night long.. both combines to desiccate leaf tissue.. and then burn ... and often in minor cases .... it doesnt SHOW until spring.. and then youre thinking something is happening in spring.. when it happened months ago ...

ken

• Scott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Mine wouldn't show burn until the latter part of July when the heat really came on.