Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Four years of Picea pungens 'Aubie's Spreader'

Continuing these time-lapse threads. Here is one of the first conifers I bought from Coenosium Gardens, a laterally growing Picea pungens. Bob had notes that the original plant was some six feet wide and never produced a terminal leader.

Summer 2008

{{gwi:640696}}

{{gwi:640697}}

{{gwi:640698}}

{{gwi:640699}}

-Will

Comments (13)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Pretty cool.

Dax

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Will,

Nice blue color.

Any cultivar name?

It appears to be a fast grower and I would think you have plans to move it unles you want to mow under it.

Is your brick edging set in mortar or just setting on the ground? I now have about 90% of mine permanently anchored. A big job and hard as hell on the knees.

Everything looks good. Keep posting photos. You have so much to offer.

Dave

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

'Aubie's Spreader'..I missed it the first go around.

Dave

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Will, the growth in Aubie's Spreader in 4 years is amazing. I really like the vivid blue color. However, the last photo with the copper/orange plant to the right makes such a beautiful combination. It makes the blue look almost turquoise. I love it. What is the that plant?

Thanks for sharing the photos.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

The color wheel at its best!

• harv2016
    12 years ago

Again just to add something, here's another example of an 'Aubie's Spreader' from the same source and about the same age. Gets great morning sun but shaded in the afternoon, a plant I may need to think about moving to a sunnier location. Seems to be reaching a bit forward

{{gwi:640700}}

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cool Harv, though I wonder if that 'leader' is because it's searching for more sun?

Dave, my bricks are semi-set in the ground. Strictly by indenting the ground slightly, they aren't held in place very firmly. Your gardens are made from blood, sweat, tears and preparation. Mine were made from haste, sweat and need! :)

Miss Lotus, I am truely not sure what it is, though it seemed to survive our winters here(to 25 degrees). I would guess it's a semi-tropical plant and not hardy to zone 4! :)

-Will

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Lady:

That orange plant could be a Leucothoe.

Dax

• dietzjm
    12 years ago

Very cool plant, Will. Keep 'em coming.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Harv's specimen isn't an 'Aubie's Spreader', it looks to me like a Picea pungens 'Bastion'...

Will, the 'Aubie's Spreader' is a very special cultivar and is rarely seen in collections!

• harv2016
    12 years ago

Just going by what was on the label

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Hey Dax, thank you for the plant name. Sadly, I don't think it will survive this far north by reading the information on the plant you mentioned. It sure does have a beautiful orange color in Will's photo.

• sluice
    12 years ago

Another great series. Like the color combinations as well!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath