Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Four years of Picea pungens 'Aubie's Spreader'

Posted by firefightergardener 7/8 (fletchonthemove@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 1:36

Continuing these time-lapse threads. Here is one of the first conifers I bought from Coenosium Gardens, a laterally growing Picea pungens. Bob had notes that the original plant was some six feet wide and never produced a terminal leader.

Summer 2008
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

-Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Four years of Picea pungens 'Aubie's Spreader'

Pretty cool.

Dax

o

Will,

Nice blue color.

Any cultivar name?

It appears to be a fast grower and I would think you have plans to move it unles you want to mow under it.

Is your brick edging set in mortar or just setting on the ground? I now have about 90% of mine permanently anchored. A big job and hard as hell on the knees.

Everything looks good. Keep posting photos. You have so much to offer.

Dave

o
#2RE: Four years of Picea pungens 'Aubie's Spreader'

'Aubie's Spreader'..I missed it the first go around.

Dave

o

Will, the growth in Aubie's Spreader in 4 years is amazing. I really like the vivid blue color. However, the last photo with the copper/orange plant to the right makes such a beautiful combination. It makes the blue look almost turquoise. I love it. What is the that plant?

Thanks for sharing the photos.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 21:02

The color wheel at its best!

o

Again just to add something, here's another example of an 'Aubie's Spreader' from the same source and about the same age. Gets great morning sun but shaded in the afternoon, a plant I may need to think about moving to a sunnier location. Seems to be reaching a bit forward

Photobucket

o

Cool Harv, though I wonder if that 'leader' is because it's searching for more sun?

Dave, my bricks are semi-set in the ground. Strictly by indenting the ground slightly, they aren't held in place very firmly. Your gardens are made from blood, sweat, tears and preparation. Mine were made from haste, sweat and need! :)

Miss Lotus, I am truely not sure what it is, though it seemed to survive our winters here(to 25 degrees). I would guess it's a semi-tropical plant and not hardy to zone 4! :)

-Will

o

Lady:

That orange plant could be a Leucothoe.

Dax

o

Very cool plant, Will. Keep 'em coming.

o

Harv's specimen isn't an 'Aubie's Spreader', it looks to me like a Picea pungens 'Bastion'...

Will, the 'Aubie's Spreader' is a very special cultivar and is rarely seen in collections!

o

Just going by what was on the label

o

Hey Dax, thank you for the plant name. Sadly, I don't think it will survive this far north by reading the information on the plant you mentioned. It sure does have a beautiful orange color in Will's photo.

o

Another great series. Like the color combinations as well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here