Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jagasian

rooting sequoia sempervirens cuttings in aeroponic cloner

jagasian
11 years ago

I have some cuttings of a 500+ year old Coast Redwood (sequoia sempervirens) tree that have started to grow root primordia. I used an aeroponic cloner, and 3 different rooting hormones: IAA, IBA, and NAA. Root primordia took approximately 38 days to form. The root primordia are roughly 4mm in length, and there are 5 root primordia in total. The cutting is swelling allot near the root primordia and it appears as though new root nubs are slowly splitting through the sides of the stem.

How long should I continue to keep the cutting in the cloner before I transfer it to soil? How should I transfer the cutting? What soil should I use?

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey jag

i presume you have seen my 'lame' post .. right below yours.. [of course.. when i knock you down.. it might be above yours] ...

the beauty of the plastic bottles .. is you CAN SEE ROOT DEVELOPMENT...

you dont tell us how many you have.. but why not move a few to pots??? .. experimenting with a multitude of options.. is my usual fallback.. especially if you kill the first two transplants.. you still have others.. i always fear jumping headfirst into one course of action.. should that path lead to death ..

i would continue humidity for a bit.. due to root disturbance..

but this is just intuiting.. i havent done hydroponics .. nor redwood ...

can we see some pix???

ken

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

Beautiful jagasian! Congratulations and thank you for your well organized list of techniques and observations....plus the reminder to change my reservoir water.

I've been doing aeroponic cloning of conifers on and off for a few years now with mixed results. My sprayers are on a timer which has them come on for only a few seconds at 30 minute intervals (which is hard on the pumps). I really like the idea of a fogger and wonder if you would please post a photo of how it is positioned in the cloner?

I've always waited until the cuttings were well rooted before transferring them out of the cloner, to the point of sometimes even having to trim roots. Mine are potted into the smallest container the roots will fit into (usually a 3 inch pot) using my propagation mix of 3 parts coarse perlite and 1 part fine coir. The roots are fragile and may clump together so I gently spread the roots apart inside their empty pot, then carefully add media around the roots. If your potting mix is dry it will flow nicely around the roots, then water immediately.

Since cloners are usually indoors, along the shock of being transferred, the newly potting cuttings should be babied for a while with humidity and shade.

Ken's suggestion of continuing your experimentation by potting up cuttings at different stages of root growth is definitely worth doing to find what works best for you.

Please post updates as things progress!

Barbara

• jagasian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The roots on the cutting pictured above became about half an inch in length and several more roots grew from the cutting. I transplanted it into soil last night. I will post more pictures a week from now, since it does not seem much different than the pic above. I dipped the cutting in captan anti-fungal, which prevents root rot and damping off. I also dusted the roots with dry spagnum peat moss seedling starting soil, and the gently planted it in a small container of miracle grow soil.

My main concern is the age of the plant from which the cutting was taken mean that it is slow growing. Further tricks are required to rejuvinate the cutting.

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

Do you have an update for us jagasian? I was re-potting some cuttings yesterday that had been rooted in an aeroponic cloner and thought of you. Curious to know how your Sequoia cuttings are progressing!

Barbara

• Lorin Hemmila
    3 years ago

Best wishes for success with your hydroponic Coastal Redwood experiment. As I live in Klamath, nor Cal, Redwood territory and have watched 4 inch branch-cuttings sprout roots and grow into 7 meter trees, over 12 years, I know it can be done be

• HU-787681790
    3 years ago

Which root hormone works the best sinc you tried so many? Please share with the public.