Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

Rare broom hunting (2)

coniferjoy
11 years ago

Once and a while a witches' broom of Picea sitchensis will be found.
My buddy Erik spotted several last year here in The Netherlands and he all named them after a planet.
Recently 2 of these were harvested by us.

Picea sitchensis 'Saturnus'
Original broom
{{gwi:641009}}

Erik with a piece of the 'Saturnus'
{{gwi:641010}}

'Saturnus' scions ready for grafting
{{gwi:641011}}

Picea sitchensis 'Pluto' (original broom)
{{gwi:641012}}

'Pluto' (close up)
{{gwi:641013}}

'Pluto' and me
{{gwi:641014}}

'Pluto' scions ready for grafting
{{gwi:641015}}

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

should we argue that Pluto is not a planet???

i like the pix of the hunt ... seeing them hanging in the trees ... makes me want to go climb a tree .. NOT!!! ... lol

now.. as to your title.. do you ever go COMMON broom hunting???

thanks for the post.. its been a little dull here on the conifer forum ..

ken

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Good growth on the brooms.

Dax

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

good find!

the bark on the trees definitely says Picea sitchensis to me, but I've never seen needles so green on Sitka. Normally more blue and silver. Are the needles sharp and pokey?

Are there seven more out there, or is Erik counting on his luck to find all the other planets?

~Dave

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Thanks Edwin, those are nice. I await the rest of the tour of the solar system.

tj

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

These finds look extremely choice!

In the outside photos, Pluto looks a little more silver/blue, maybe it's just the light.

Please give us an update with pics of new grafts in the spring...I'd love to see how they look pushing new growth.

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 19:17

• hermi-of-iowa
    11 years ago

Edwin,
    Are you saying these brooms are out of this world with those names?
    Dennis

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys for your comments!

Ken, I ment to say named after things out there in the solar system, I could find the right words ;0)
    There's also a "common broom hunting", this is when you're hunting brooms of the normal stuff like Picea abies and Pinus sylvestris.

Dave, these are true Sitka brooms.
    You can see the blue silvery colour by watching the brooms hanging in the tree.
    The thing is that the underside of the Sitka needles are a blue silver, the upperside is always green...
    Believe me, they're sharp and pokey for sure :0)

Erik found several this year and I think there are more to come for the next winter!

Alex, you're right, both the brooms are showing a silvery blue colour in the outside light.
    Like said before, this is because we're looking to the underside of these brooms...

Tommy, don't worry, more Dutch Sitka brooms will follow ;0)

Denny, yeah that's what I'm saying.
    Some day when the earth will be hit by another meteorite again, these brooms will fly happily ever after in the universe :0)
    Now you mention this, the original brooms were looking like an UFO allready, ready to take off...

• hungrymind
    11 years ago

Edwin, Sweet brooms here. Also on Rare broom hunt (1) Looks like Erik has had a good hunt. Thats a nice trophy shot of you, reminds me of a gun hunter trophy shot!LOL. 'Saturnus' sure has tightly packed needles,I like that! Hope these take for you guys! Happy hunting and thanks for showing these!
    Rob

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i wish i could find that one post.. from the gallery side....

where they actually went broom hunting.. floor brooms ...

it was really funny ....

ken

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rob, you're right about the trophy shot.
    Only this time the trophy itselves will continue living in peoples conifer collections later on.
    Normaly seen the "other" hunter's trophy will be served for dinner and will disappaer in someone's stomach, which is the end of the story... :0)

Ken, I guess you were searching for Nate's pics of the 2 low growing Pinus ponderosa brooms...
    Pinus ponderosa 'K. Riley'
    {{gwi:641016}}

Pinus ponderosa 'Wild Tiger'
    {{gwi:641017}}

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave & Sam, Picea sitchensis is growing in the same natural area as Abies grandis (coastal variety) and Abies amabilis do.
    I hope you'll find some Sitka brooms as well, you've a very big area for searching those :0)
    Good luck in advance!

Picea sitchsis range
    {{gwi:641018}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Edwin, I think Ken was talking about this post...

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Clean sweep

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tommy, maybe that post is funny but let me tell you that the poster of it isn't funny at all.
    He scared away a very lovely woman who used to post here regulary until a little while ago.
    I promised her that I'll take care of this problem so she can return to this forum when she's ready to.
    It's to bad that this is putting a dark cloud above my bright solar system brooms topic...

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Now Edwin, I recall you having some uncalled for words for another fine woman who posts on these forums and we didn't strike your name from memory.

You see Edwin, we all need forgiveness.

tj

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're right Tommy, but afterwards I apologized to her soon here at the forum.
    The case I'm talking about is bad since the beginning of this year...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!