Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unprofessional

What do you think?

unprofessional
11 years ago

I was driving around yesterday and found a very yellow spruce. Most of the yellow was on one side, but it was much brighter up near the top. Here's a few little cuttings I took from near the bottom which showed a bit of the yellow. Like I said, these pieces are much duller than the yellow near the top.

Comments (12)

• botann
    11 years ago

Just a guess, but I think it may be more cultural rather than genetic and the yellow wouldn't carry over on grafted trees.
    Mike

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

I would graft a few and watch them for a couple of years...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i think you ought to call jerry at hidden lakes.. explain what you found..

and ask him if he has any excess pungens understock.. and if so.. will he sell you say.. 5 .... get over there.. graft them..

and then when you collect your graftings from your class.. pick them up.. and bring one to me.. for this brilliant insight ...

as someone discussed in some other post i cant find.. odd plants are flooding the market.. who knows if it has any real value to the trade.. but its YOUR FIND ... do a couple.. grow them on.. who knows.. it might be the next great thing.. in 5 or 10 years ... and name it after your child ....

ken

ps: and if jerry cant help.. call gary gee... and speak directly to him.. and ask him the same .... a personal tour of Gee's.. by gary.. will make your head spin .... you are in one of the conifer worlds mecca's with options.. dont waste the opportunity ...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i was wondering what you ever did with it..

when i realized.. that you found your first oddity ...

earlier you had posted your frustration on never seeing brooms.. and what do you find.. a color freak ..

CONGRATS!!!!!

well.. did you take action???

ken

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grafting it next Saturday. :)

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grafted two extremely yellow scions I cut this morning. There was a big debate in my class over if it was genetic or environmental. It was good fun! Only time will tell, now.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Can you show us a pic of your grafs?
    I'm very interested to see your extremely yellow scions!
    Thanks!

• hungrymind
    11 years ago

Unpro, Glad to hear you got that grafted! Wish I had somewhere for grafting classes,lots of help here though. Your find would look good contrasting a very blue conifer! Wish you success with your grafts!
    Rob

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll show you them when I pick them up in a month or so...they're in the calicing tubes at Hidden Lakes right now.

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is seriously an awful photo of the tree, through a car window at that, but you can still make out the very yellow portion of the tree.

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Both of my grafted scions look in pretty bad shape - they're dropping their needles if you barely touch them. Ron Elardo grafted another piece of it, so I'll see if his took or is doing the same.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Jon, that mature tree does have a very nice colour!
    It's to bad that your grafts didn't take...

I hope Ron's grafts took.
    Last January I met the Conifer Quarterly Editor.
    Please, say hi to him from me.