Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hungrymind

Pole pruners

hungrymind
11 years ago

This is the pole pruner I put together for my first year of broom collecting. I will be making a few changes but for the first run it worked good! I like to push up and cut with the smaller cutter,I tried the hook and thought there has to be a better way.Broomers,show us yours if you can spare the time! thanks!
Rob

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

This way you can see what you're doing better than with a hook.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

The handle is almost never long enough ;-)

But if they were (10-15 metres at least, ideally 20 metres), the gadget would be too heavy to use . . .

Resin

• hungrymind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bboy, Thats what I was thinking too,also for me I got a better feel. Just taking pieces,1/4 to 3/8 in.dia.
    Resin,For now I have six sections at five feet each and hope to have more next season. 20 metres seems like the sky to me with what little brooming I've done,I have a lot to look forward to! I do have a mess of brooms that are too high at this time,so it has crossed my mind that these thinner poles might not make the cut. What do you recomend?
    thanks to the both of you for your replys.
    Rob

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Rob, I see you're very creative in making your own tools.
    It seems to work pretty well which is good to start with.

There are proffesional pole pruners and saws availlable which are used by gardeners.

How high is the reach for your pole pruner?

• longaeva54
    11 years ago

You can use saw blade.

{{gwi:642691}}

• kbguess
    11 years ago

For the broomer with a lot of $$$. 20 meter pole with attachment options

Keith

I like the mods you made to your system Rob.

Here is a link that might be useful: 20 meter pole

• hungrymind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Edwin, thanks! I have 30' of pole plus what I can reach minus the angle.LOL that dang angle! the pole is made for pulling snow off the roof of my house,friday we had a 2ft.drift on the west side roof and I thought I should see if I could clear from the peak down. This was 25ft.of pole with a reverse shovel for pulling,I though it would be too heavy for the pole but it worked fine. The roof shovel only comes with 15ft. of pole,I bought a second one this year to double my reach. I have a garden type pole with hook pruner and saw at 12ft. its good around the yard. It weighs more than the 30ft. pole. I would love to see what the others look like.
    Longaeva54, Can you tell me what brand the saw you show is? That was my next move, to fix a pull saw blade on the end of one of these poles.
    Thanks for your replys!
    Rob

• longaeva54
    11 years ago

It is Fiskars, you can check their site.
    Here is a link that might be useful:Tree Pruner

• botann
    11 years ago

I have a Fiskars pole pruner. It's the best one I have owned in almost 40 years of professional landscaping and in my large garden on ten acres. I have yet to cut a broom off with it though, just a lot of limbs over the years. I go through several blades a year.
    An ice storm took part of a Douglas Fir broom out a few years ago and it landed right on my driveway.
    Mike

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"Here is a link that might be useful: 20 meter pole"

$2000, though!

• hungrymind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Keith,You were not kidding about the big bucks! And at 12lbs.,thats more than I care to drag around alone! I need to find someone with the same interest in brooming. Glad you liked the mods! In the photo you see aircraft cable which did not work,after two brooms it curled up and the pruner had trouble opening back up. So I went with para cord.

Longaeva54,Thanks for the link! Now I need to see if they sell just the clamp that holds the blade!

Mike,I think my 12ft. pole pruner is fiskars. Your a lucky man to have a broom over your driveway! Any broomers knock on your door?LOL!
    Thanks for the replys.
    Rob