Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Hillside Gold'

per request ...

doug fir are variable in z5 .... there was some discussion that the glauca variety does better.. something about one side of the mountains or the other .... perhaps others can clarify that for mr haas ...

i buy them local.. so i dont usually do the research .... but i have lost a few.. and they all seems to take some damage.. sooner or later ... but perhaps .. that was a function of my prior inexperience with proper planting ...

this is a pic of its best spring 2006, in the nursery .. i was totally enthralled by the teal budding on a yellowish plant ... i cant think that it has ever been as showy as this .. and this alone made it a keeper ... on 5 acres ... [as compared to restricted space where you need something heart stopping]

{{gwi:642789}}

the yellow/gold is not outstanding, but that is VERY COMMON when you can see right thru the plant [as compared to it getting mature.. and filling in enough to make the yellow/gold more outstanding] .... but the teal is ... its cool ... IMHO .. i believe it doesnt like 100 degree august days ... and usually has some scorch ... which might explain the dullness of the gold.. as compared to the PNW

does this take care of you will????

ken

here is is in 2008 ...

{{gwi:642790}}

and 2009 .. pix taken between 5/8 and 5/23 .. though i dont know if i got them in perfect order.. and dont care right now.. lol ...

{{gwi:642791}}

{{gwi:642792}}

{{gwi:642793}}

{{gwi:642792}}

{{gwi:642794}}

{{gwi:642795}}

Comments (12)

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Ken, I agree with your initial assessment of the plant. It looked great. But its subsequent lackluster performance-I think that is what you're trying to show us-is IMO typical of the species whenever it is planted in this region. I'd like it to do better, but usually, it is fairly mediocre. My opinion again, but that's the way I see it.

+oM

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Ken, honestly I think it is gorgeous. I love the yellow and teal combination. I also, like the charlie brown type looking tree and the shape of yours appears to be somewhat sparse. I love it. Thank you for sharing.

• botann
    12 years ago

I can imagine what it would look like here in western Washington State where Pseudosuga menziesii grows like weeds.
    I like it, and wished I had one.
    You guys are going to make a collector out of me yet.
    Mike

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Mike,

You can post a photo of your new Hillside Gold soon!

Dax

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Ken, as usual I appreciate the pics.

What am I missing here? The couple years you had it it looks perfectly fine. Perhaps the habit is a little odd and it lacks vigor. Maybe what we are missing is what it looked like in July or August?

Who actually owns this plant now? Is it Mike?lol?

You guys have to keep in mind I live near Lake Michigan (but north of TJ) so it doesn't get as hot and humid as lets say central IL or even central WI. Not much different but every little bit helps.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

I have two specimens of this plant and while it contrasts pretty wonderfully in Spring, it is rather unexciting as a whole. It's not a bad plant, I just think there are some others that are perhaps more beautiful. 'Seattle Mountain' comes to mind, a simply stunning plant.

-Will

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What am I missing here?

===>>> ohhh avacado.. you are cracking me up .... [get it.. haas ...]

do i have to keep track of your addiction.. before the divorce .. crimminey ...

you said.. and correct me if i am wrong ... i only have room for dwarf or mini ... its neither.

you only have room for prime specimens .. its not ... its an oddity .. and cool .. but i have 5 acres of which 3 are empty ... its super for me ...

what are you missing.. perhaps only your own thoughts/words on how to develop your garden .. lol

as to FFB ... i also have Seattle mountain ... saw it in scion form and was stunned .. blew $30 on it.. it grows no better than any other PM in z5 .... and i await some appreciable size to determine if it is worth my time ....

haas.. find some mini doug firs .... whats that one i had pix of.. brooks????

ken

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Dax talked me into gifting (or perhaps he meant kill it?) my P. r 'Vanderwolf's Pyramid' so I have a couple "larger" specimens I'd like to get.

I didn't necessarily want this post to be about me but for others looking for info on this plant as well. So no worries, I can manage what filters into my landscape.

I've crossed this one off the list in favor of Picea abies 'Elegantissima'.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

My small Psuedo. m's have never given me any trouble...in my microclime (and nearer the big pond than Will). They have a species plant at Boehner that was looking a bit ratty in 2005 when I last saw it last but I had someone tell me in 2010 that it was looking very good. I haven't been there since to check it out myself. Might do that this spring.

tj

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

I may have implied that I never see good ones. There's a scant few around. A lot of the time though, they seem stunted and unhappy. I think more than anything else where I live, it's the heavy soil. But yes, here or there, there will be a decent one.

+oM

• botann
    12 years ago

The 'Hillside Gold arrived yesterday and was immediately planted. I could almost hear the sigh of relief it gave to be back in the PNW as a gentle rain came down.
    Thanks Dax!
    Mike
    {{gwi:642796}}

• gardener365
    12 years ago

haahaahaa, right on!

Dax