Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unprofessional

Thuja plicata 'Whipcord'

unprofessional
11 years ago

Anybody have pictures of a big one? It's listed as reaching 5', but haven't seen anything showing it nearly that big.

Also, anybody have a US sub-$20 source?

Comments (19)

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

I've only seen little ones at my local nurseries. I'm curious to see a large one too. They are pretty cool.

maplestoneornamentals.com is a great mail order source in Alliance Ohio that I have been very pleased with and have ordered from multiple times. You can also find their stuff on ebay closer to spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thuja plicata 'Whipcord' source

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

plicata [western red cedar] does NOT favor my z5 MI garden.. unless you could perfect a microclimate ....

look toward EASTERN red cedar for more bulletproof ... T. occidentalis if i am not mistaken... i dont have time to verify that ... joy????

there are yellow look-alikes in this type of plant ... the name of which escapes me..

ken

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

This one at Iseli is a decent size.

I prefer Platycladus orientalis 'Franky Boy' for it's great color but it does have more of an upright shape compared to the weeping whipcord. They are both stringy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Thuja plicata 'Whipcord'

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The Thuja plicata 'Whipcord' derived as a seedling from the Drakes Crossing Nurseries, runned by Delbert and Barbara Hupp which are the grandparents of Jason Hupp.

This is the original plant.
    {{gwi:642946}}

Ken, this one won't survive your zone 5 winter, Thuja occidentalis 'Filiformis' will do much better in your climate...

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's awesome, as is that mat of tiny hen & chicks right next to it. Thanks!

11 years ago

you are correct

there is an aurea version i think..

and lemonthread ... much bigger than the aurea ...

i think i might have a girards version also ...

unpro lives close by.. i dont know his version of z5 ... so i am making suggestions for bulletproof stuff..

and HLakes is between us.. and they can probably grow it no problems.. lol ...

yeah .... i know i mangled the names.. i dont have time right now to do it right ... (;0) ken

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

I think 'Lemon Thread' is a Sawara.

• etherealsunshine5
    11 years ago

I've been coveting a 'Whipcord' for a few years, too. I hadn't seen any indication that it wasn't fully hardy in zone 5 winters--in fact, I just read a listing that claimed it was hardy to warmer areas of zone 4.

...What kind of microclimate would it prefer?
    Just a little warmer? Wind protection? Moister soil? Afternoon shade in summer heat? This would be the first conifer I'll plant and unfortunately, the site I'd prefer is at the foot of a north-facing steep slope. I have no problem wrapping it in burlap and straw for a few seasons or even putting up a snow fence/windbreak in December while it acclimates.

Ken, I'm assuming you've had western red cedars fail before in your zone 5 climate? I'm just south of the 5a zone pocket in IL.

I haven't dealt with Maplestone Ornamentals, but they list 'Whipcord' in stock...many of the online nurseries I've checked in the last few years were sold out, not reputable, or overpriced for small plants.

Honestly, I think I'd have to kill one myself in order to give up on this cultivar. I just love the overall shape and texture in a compact form.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3-year 'Whipcord' $15 + S&H

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HLG does have this, Ken.

None of the alternatives are nearly as nice, so I'll definitely be trying it, and I have some silly experimental plans for it as well...

This post was edited by unprofessional on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 14:15

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

I've had a great experience with Maplestone Ornamentals and I have purchased many little plants from them over the past 2 years. I haven't purchased through their website yet, just through their ebay store. Plants have always came in plant bands with great roots and healthy looking.

• texjagman
    11 years ago

I can tell you it doesn't like it much warmer either. I've tried it twice in my zone 7a in different exposures and it fried both times.

mark

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Freak version of an essentially Pacific coastal species, liable to be less tolerant of adverse conditions than normal examples.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

I picked mine up about three years ago for $8-9 in a 4" pot (Iseli Fanciful Gardens plant). Mild winters since then so no real test. Its handling the shade of the north side of my garage quite well.

tj

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Climax species in the wild, growing up through other trees and coming to dominate where site conditions permit.

• Mary4b
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I'd thought I'd share the following. In Appleton, WI, my friend has this on a standard...at least 5-6 years now. It's always done great, does not even get winter burn. Also, farther north in Luxemburg, WI, there's a family owned nursery called "The Plantscapers". They have one that's about a 12' tall tree...no winterburn, doing great. Luxemburg is close to Green Bay, and much closer to Lake Michigan than Appleton, but still considered 4a/5b. The winter of 2014 was particularly hard on evergreens throughout the Midwest, yet both the plants at these two locations pulled through with flying colors, in unprotected locations.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

I believe if you check closely, the plant in question in WI is Thuja occidentalis 'Filiformis, not T. plicata 'Whipcord'. Somewhat similar in appearance but not the same plants and the Filiformis much hardier for the area.

The largest example I've seen of Whipcord was at Iseli's display garden. Pretty impressive and a very appealing dwarf conifer.

8 years ago

wonder whatever happened to unpro ... he burst on the scene like a supernova ... and then just disappeared ...

ken

• Mary4b
    8 years ago

Thank you Gardenpal, I was told by Plantscapers that it was Whipcord, but next time I see them I'll ask if there's any chance it might be Thuja occidentalis Filiformis.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

I am in Ontario and I purchased one last year and it didn't survive the severe winter in 14/15. I bought another one today and I am going to put it in a protected area on the east side of my house...update next year.