Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
two coniferous stars of the small screen

Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 12 at 11:33

and given Hollywood's insatiable demand for other people's creative properties, probably the big screen too, one day.

Couple thoughts: are they helped along in looking so eccentric? Or does it just happen? The handful of large cedars I've seen in the US have the more uniform appearance of the one to the right. And, cedars have been cultivated for so long in the UK, is it possible that some hybridization has occurred? The variation between these two (never mind the color, it's been enhanced) could be seen in the natural range of the Cedar of Lebanon, but I wonder if the one on the left might be a C. libani X C. deodara or C. libani X C. atlantica cross? There's something about the luxuriousness of the clumps of foliage that is odd looking. The classic English Country House Cedar is thinner and scragglier looking. Maybe this one has just had centuries of composted cow manure dumped at its roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: two coniferous stars of the small screen

Any idea what location it is? The reason they look eccentric is probably due to snow breakage events. Old cedars in the wild are similarly eccentric.

Deodar � Lebanon hybrids have not (as far as I know) been verified, but likely exist; they'd be tricky to determine accurately, and would need DNA analysis for verification.

Resin

o

Hampshire, UK (Highclere Castle). It does snow there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

o

Ah Davidrt, I've been eying those ever since me and the Mrs. started watching Downton! Great-looking trees, whatever the ID outcome. The series ain't bad either.

+oM

o

Thanks for the location! Found a higher resolution pic here, they look more typically Cedrus libani there.

Resin

o

Resin's link didn't work for me but maybe this one will:

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Highclere Castle

o

Dax's doesn't either! But (I hope!!) this will.

Resin

o

Odd . . . the GW software strips out part of the URL. Copy and paste this into the browser:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Highclere_Castle_April_2011_2.jpg

Resin

o

Drat! Still strips it out!

See if this works:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Highclere_Castle_(April_2011)_2.jpg

And experimental link:

Resin

o

Success - that last link works

Resin

o

Thanks for all the trouble Resin. I still think there's something peculiar looking about the one on the left. They are both beautiful.

o

Those two are Cedrus libani and were apparently planted in the mid 18th century from seed collected in Lebanon.
I don't know how accurate the lineage is b/c they have a Bishop Stephen Pococke as the collector but the dear Bishop probably would have been Richard Pococke. He is noted for having spent more time in the first half of the 18th century traveling (a lot at the east end of the Mediterranean) than ministering.

So ~250 years old?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here