Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
disease question

Posted by altorama 5/6 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 11:53

I have a small conifer, here is a picture of it

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

It has some sort of disease, maybe rust? These are the best pictures I could get, where the problem is you can see how the trunk has thickened. It is almost like a red dust. Here are some pictures. Any idea of what it is, and how to treat it? I cannot remember what kind of conifer it is, it's about 2 years old. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: disease question

It does look like a Gymnosporangium rust, most likely Hawthorn rust. Was the tree outside or inside? Usually they don't sporulate until later in spring in the north. Even down here you don't see the telia until mid March or so. At this point, nothing can be done for it except to prune out affected branches. The spores produced on this host cannot re-infect it, but infect the alternate host (in this case Crataegus spp.).

o

Thank you. The tree was outside, but we are moving so I dug up the plants I want to take with me and kept it in the porch for about a week, then the back hall, then a cool spot in the house.
I will prune off the affected branches, probably moving it into the house must have given the disease a jump start?
Thanks so much!
Alida

o

Unless it is something rare or of sentimental value, I would just replace it. It looks like an eastern redcedar (Juniperus virginiana). These are easy to find.

Even if you prune the disease out, it may still have other infections you can't see yet and it will be very ugly at that point.

o

i agree..

i would not take a diseased plant to a new garden.. and hope i did not effect the whole new garden ..

ken

o

Ok, I can just get rid of it. Whatever else may have been infected can be replaced,
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here