Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea orientalis (silver seedling)

Posted by jinxz5 Z 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 12:11

A few weeks ago someone suggested this plant had been named. If so I can not remember what it was and was the name registered? Thanks for any help. Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea orientalis (silver seedling)

Coenosium, who was first to introduce it in the US, listed it as Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling' which is also the name Van Hoey Smith attributes to the plant.

Some other nurseries are selling it as 'Sulphur Flush' which was a name attached to another cultivar of the 'Aureospicata' type. The 'Sulphur Flush' I received around 1999 (from Coenosium) is much more dwarf than 'Aureospicata' but still has an open habit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coenosium Firsts

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 16:44

I could be wrong but I was under the impression 'Sulphur Flush' is a AKA but incorrect and 'Silver Seedling' is the correct name. Hopefully someone can confirm.

o

'Silver Seedling' is correct.

It was introduced as 'Silver Seedling' around 1990 by Konijn Nursery in The Netherlands. The 1996 Illustrated Encyclopedia of Conifers shows a photo from Konijn Nursery (of about an 8-year old plant) with the name as 'Silver Seedling'.

Side notes regarding the true Picea orientalis 'Sulphur Flush':
The name 'Sulphur Flush' first appeared on a plant with coloring and flush similar to 'Aureospicata' but more dwarf.

I have also seen it incorrectly labeled 'Sulfur Spray'.

o

So let's see if I can piece this together.

There are TWO plants here:

Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling', which shows white coloring frosted over the green growth and grows laterally, burns in full sun. Sometimes mislabeled as 'Sulpher Flush'.

Picea orientalis 'Sulpher Flush'. Similar to 'Aureospicata', slower growing, gold over older green foliage, gold returns to green color later in the year?

Do we have photos of this second, entirely different plant 'Sulphur Flush', Brent?

Thanks!

o

Brentm, Thanks for the info. In this case the plant is prettier than the name. Does not always work out that way. 'Silver Seedling' it is! Jay

o

Will, that is all correct.

No photo of 'Sulphur Flush' - I have it in a corner of my folks' garden, so I can get a photo in May when it flushes...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here