Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jinxz5

Picea orientalis (silver seedling)

jinxz5
12 years ago

A few weeks ago someone suggested this plant had been named. If so I can not remember what it was and was the name registered? Thanks for any help. Jay

Comments (14)

• brentm
    12 years ago

Coenosium, who was first to introduce it in the US, listed it as Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling' which is also the name Van Hoey Smith attributes to the plant.

Some other nurseries are selling it as 'Sulphur Flush' which was a name attached to another cultivar of the 'Aureospicata' type. The 'Sulphur Flush' I received around 1999 (from Coenosium) is much more dwarf than 'Aureospicata' but still has an open habit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coenosium Firsts

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I could be wrong but I was under the impression 'Sulphur Flush' is a AKA but incorrect and 'Silver Seedling' is the correct name. Hopefully someone can confirm.

• brentm
    12 years ago

'Silver Seedling' is correct.

It was introduced as 'Silver Seedling' around 1990 by Konijn Nursery in The Netherlands. The 1996 Illustrated Encyclopedia of Conifers shows a photo from Konijn Nursery (of about an 8-year old plant) with the name as 'Silver Seedling'.

Side notes regarding the true Picea orientalis 'Sulphur Flush':
    The name 'Sulphur Flush' first appeared on a plant with coloring and flush similar to 'Aureospicata' but more dwarf.

I have also seen it incorrectly labeled 'Sulfur Spray'.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

So let's see if I can piece this together.

There are TWO plants here:

Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling', which shows white coloring frosted over the green growth and grows laterally, burns in full sun. Sometimes mislabeled as 'Sulpher Flush'.

Picea orientalis 'Sulpher Flush'. Similar to 'Aureospicata', slower growing, gold over older green foliage, gold returns to green color later in the year?

Do we have photos of this second, entirely different plant 'Sulphur Flush', Brent?

Thanks!

• jinxz5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brentm, Thanks for the info. In this case the plant is prettier than the name. Does not always work out that way. 'Silver Seedling' it is! Jay

• brentm
    12 years ago

Will, that is all correct.

No photo of 'Sulphur Flush' - I have it in a corner of my folks' garden, so I can get a photo in May when it flushes...

• sph3
    8 years ago

I'm still unclear on whether 'Silver Seedling' and 'Sulphur Flush' are synonyms, or whether they are distinct cultivars. Does anyone know?

• sc77 (6b MA)
    8 years ago

They are two different cultivars

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

but of course.. that doesnt mean they are not near exact duplicates .. to all but the hardcore enthusiast ...

back in the day .. as a name collector.. i had to have one of each ... a decade latter.. and lots of money ... i realized... one or the other... whichever was actually available .... or cheaper.. was the one i needed ...

so .. dont get to caught up.. in the name game ... if you have a spot ... get one or the other... if you have two spots.. spread across 5 acres ... go for both ...

but you dont need both.. in a smallish garden ...

ken

ps: or maybe you do .. lol ... been there.. done that .. lol

• sph3
    8 years ago

Thanks, Guys. Nah, with me, it's about getting my labels right. I can't find 'Sulphur Flush' in any reputable listing, but that's how it was sold to me. When I get a new conifer, I do the research re: what it wants (other than the fabled "well-drained soil") and check the nomenclature before I make a label for it. Thus, my dilemma. So if 'Sulphur Flush' IS a separate and recognized cultivar, which I assume it is, given your comments, then I'm good.

• DeanW45
    8 years ago

My understanding is that 'Sulphur Flush' has yellow new growth; 'Silver Seedling' has creamy white tips. This makes intuitive sense to me as elemental sulfur is yellow in color, not white.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    8 years ago

I think these two cultivars are really tangled in a web of confusion. Nearly all mentions of them refer to one another as AKA... but, brentm who replied above is very knowledgeable, and the owner of conifer kingdom.. so I assume he has done extensive research to conclude the answer above. I just sent a message to Coniferjoy, and old member of this board to see if he can conclusively confirm that they are different...If he cannot confirm, I doubt anyone can

• sc77 (6b MA)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ok. 100% Confirmed. Right from Edwin Smits:

"They're different for sure. The 'Silver Seedling' is a white variegated all year, while the 'Sulphur Flush' has sulphur-yellow new shoots in spring time which will fading to yellowish green later on..."

• sph3
    8 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for all the follow-up, everyone. 'Sulphur Flush' it is.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus