Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

This Winter's project(s)

First of a few major projects. The last few involve removing the turf out front completely. This change to my backyard gardens revolved around giving a large conifer specimen a bit more room and removing some paths to put in, you guessed it, more conifers. Some were moved, a few acquired in trades. There will always be more changes, but the major landscaping changes are getting close to finished.

A few before/after photos.

Originally shot this photo for the three deer(hard to see near the back), which is only the second time I've ever had a deer sighting. This was about 2010.
{{gwi:644376}}

Today, Feb 2013.
{{gwi:644377}}

The original circle path, about three years ago.
{{gwi:644378}}

Today.
{{gwi:644379}}

My paths now make two wide round-abouts around the backyard garden and while there is a flagstone path for myself, I am going to recommend most garden visitors stay on the gravel paths. Coniferites will be allowed all access. :)

One path ends in a bench, the other two in birdbaths(I have a blue ceramic one indoors for Winter).
{{gwi:644381}}
{{gwi:644383}}

Some closeups. I'd be happy to identify any plants for those interested.
{{gwi:644385}}

On the left is Picea abies 'Catharine's Golden Heart', moved for the third time in three years to give it more sunshine. It should be a nice golden color here and still get a little bit of evening shade at the peak of Summer. It's about 11-13 years old.
{{gwi:644386}}

{{gwi:644387}}
{{gwi:644388}}

-Will

Comments (12)

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

Really great. I particularly like your developing Picea 'Troemner'(?).
    In the final photo, what is the identity of the spruce or fir top right (to the left of the small round lime green conifer)?
    Richard

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

The last few involve removing the turf out front completely

===>>>

I WIN!!! .. I WIN.. I WIN ... LOL ..

I told you the day we met here.. that front grass had to go .. lol ...

i win .. [i am over it now.. no more yelling.. lol] ..

ken

ps: no matter what you do ... it looks like you have more pots than you will ever wiggle more space for ...

did the deer ever do any damage.. or were they just taking a tour like any other conifer nuts????

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Will, you made me chuckle after reading your were taking out the last bit of grass. ha ha.

Your gardens are really looking nice. It looks like you have some very nice unique plants. Thanks for sharing the photos.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, great pics of your conifer paradise!

Did you check your Abies naming subject which you posted recently?

• Cher
    11 years ago

The paths always looks great but I also like what you did this time also. Everything looks fantastic.
    Cher

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Will,

Nice photos. Another glimpse of your garden is always good for brightening a dull day. The view from above is very nice since it let's us see the forest for the trees, as it were. I think your cat must be doing a very good job of keeping the deer away if you've only had two sightings. More important is a lack of deer-related damage.

'Catharine's Golden Heart' is very beautiful. I love the color which is not seen very often, intermediate between green and gold. Is this the new location in this photo? It looks great next to 'Chief Joseph' in the close-up and the 'today' pics. It sounds like you expect it'll brighten up a bit in the new location.

A few other questions...what is the blue ribbon from tree to tree in the first photo? You've got quite a few containers, how frequently do you water during (what you call) summer? The globose fir in the last photo...'Starker's Dwarf'? In the same pic, I'd like ID for the three other plants in the center (looks like two more firs and a small golden spreading spruce?) And then in the second pic, can I get ID on the golden plant in a container just north of 6:00? And also in the next picture, what's the large container spruce, looks like a cultivar of P. orientalis?

You'll have to update us with some before/after photos of your lawn after the area is planted. Though I seem to recall something similar from around this time last year, sparking just a wee bit of controversy.

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 15:45

• davidtree
    11 years ago

great looking garden

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments, I'm grinding away on the front yard changes as well now. Taking a break and then it's back out there. One thing at least that is nice about our mild Winters is that when it doesn't rain, we can work the soil.

Ken, you are and were right, the grass was eventually all going. It was mildly amusing to mow the lawn for 40 seconds last year once a week. Now I can water for a few years and then leave the maintenance to nature.

The deer nibbled off two leaves from a Japanese maple and quickly exitted stage left once I came out to film them. I haven't seen them since - maybe because I'm at about 400 feet elevation, they just don't seem to be around much.

Richard, it's Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Fletcherii' - a gem of a dwarf discovered in 1923. :)

Edwin, I did indeed, and made many corrections - thank you! I also DO have your nursery list favorited for future access as I make changes and look for confirmations/errors in plants amongst my collection. Are you 100% with every name you list there being accurate? Thanks, as always.

Alex, 'Catharine's Golden Heart' will be much more pronounced gold this year with more sunlight. It's previous spot was about 5-6 hours of direct sun, now it's more like 8-10 hours. Bob's golden seedlings, at least those wothout 'Lemon' in their name, don't seem to burn much/at all even with full sun and warm days. Speaking of warm days, I water the pots about once a week during hot stretches, twice a month for the rest. They are doing surprisingly well and since some are very very large, they can stay in their locations, dependant on variety for many years.
    Some plant ID's. Yes, Abies NORDMANNIANA 'Starker's Dwarf'(caps for emphasis, Iseli is still selling it as Abies koreana)
    Also from the last photo, the taller fir at the top, Abies forrestii var. forrestii. A Conifer Kingdom product. The fir I noted above for Richard, actually a cultivar of doug fir. The golden spruce is one of Bob's seedlings, I'll need to check the name. It's pouring right now. :(

From the second photo, the golden plant towards the bottom is Pseudotsuga menziesii 'El Dorado', a new, VERY choice golden doug fir from Conifer Kingdom. It can burn in full sun, that spot gets about 4 hours and it's brilliantly gold.

The large oriental spruce is Picea orientalis 'Skylands'. :)

I'll update with more photos as I finish up the front in the next few weeks.

-Will

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Yeah buddy, thats conifer addiction right there!

Not sure if you have plans to eliminate that brick but where the brick path(s) end at the birdbath and bench, I'm of the opinion it would look nicer by pulling those bricks out and integrating the space with the rest of the layout, whether it be flat stones or not and yes this is a run on sentence!lol!

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, I'm sure all conifer names are correctly written at my website.
    Otherwise I would like to be informed which one's I wrote wrong...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

so are you going to drag your lawnmower to fincham's .. and trade it for another plant ... ???? .. lol ..

as always.. and forgive me.. i forgot..

thx for the tour .. and the effort to post pix ...

ken

• botann
    11 years ago

I don't remember a lawn at Bob's.
    (I was looking at conifers!)
    Mike

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor