Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More grafting help

Posted by kbguess z5 IA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 12:33

I have received some nice plants from Carl at Providence Farm Ornamentals. He has a picture tutorial showing his grafting technique and set up.

I know he is grafting firs on A. firma for those looking for another A. firma rootstock plant source.

Keith

Here is a link that might be useful: Providence Farm Grafting Page

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Bump

Moving along...

o
RE: More grafting help

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 11:59

Keith what are your thoughts on using A. frima in zone 5? It appears this may perform much better in clay like soils.

I wonder if the scion has a bud hardiness of lets say zone 5 or lower so you might be doing ok ecspecially if in an area with more extended snow cover.

o

Whaas,

Good question. I have not given it a lot of thought. I have a couple of firs from Carl on firma in pots that I will plant out this year. Since I have been in IA, my winters have not been Z5 winters, but it is the outlier that kills things.

We do not have reliable snow cover here.

This thread makes me think you will be OK on firma in Z5

Keith

Here is a link that might be useful: older thread on firma hardiness as rootstock

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 14:28

Maybe Dax can give us an update since its been 5 years!

o

Thanks, That grafting page had some good info and pics. I bookmarked it.

o

Only thing that should be noted is that when grafting dwarfs such as Pinus parviflora 'Pygmy Yatsubusa' (you) don't want the vigorous shoots but rather the non-vigorous shoots only, those typically taken from the sides of the plants.

Vigorous shoots are sought for large-growing conifers and intermediate-growing.

The firma ordeal is what it is. It's used for people who have failed to grow firs in either the south or climates where folks have failed trying to grow them. I had a firma seedling for three years in the ground (zone 7) and I bought a new mower last year that took time to learn to drive & naturally I bashed into it and destroyed it. So I think firma is root-hardy, no question, & I've had in the ground Abies firma 'Golden Hue' for at least three years which Stanley & Sons says is zone 5 hardy. I didn't graft it so I cannot comment on the understock that was used.

Dax

o

Great step by step tutorial there!

Also interesting about the tree wound product. Thanks for the link!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here