Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Camellia Forest conifers

fairfield8619
10 years ago

In case any missed it, on A. firma they have A. concolor compacta, A. koreana 'Silber Mavers', A. lasiocarpa var arizona 'Glauca Pendula', I guess this is for bad soil since I wouldn't attempt any of them. Also they have A. squamata 'Flaky' grafted but don't say on what. They still have the P. chihuahuana seedlings. Even have several Sequoiadendron selections, Larix, Athrotaxis, more conifers than I think they have carried before.

Comments (13)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

They have nice plant material say some of my friends who've visited their nursery or other friends who have purchased from them.

Dax

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Yes, and they used to be super reasonable...now just reasonable I'd say. OTOH you can't really compare their cost of operations to nurseries in other parts of the country.
    FWIW just as I think blue spruce might be doomed in the SE no matter what it is grafted on, I'd be cautious about assuming grafting will help A. lasiocarpa survive for very long.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I don't think A. lasiocarpa would last a month in the SE but it would be worth a try in the mid atlantic or maybe the upper south if you have clay soil or less than optimum drainage. A firma stood inudated and sodden soil at the old house and never missed a beat. It may different in frozen flooded sites though. Hostas did well in the same flooded soil in winter but it was not frozen of course.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Abies lasiocarpa var arizona 'Glauca Pendula' does not exist...

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Talk to the hand Eddy, or maybe talk to CF, they list it that way.See what they say and report back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Abies lasiocarpa var arizonica 'Glauca Pendula'

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

The tag on the picture they show says 'Glauca Compacta' which is just 'Compacta' nowadays. There is also a 'Glauca' out there, but no 'Glauca Pendula' that I'm aware of either.

tj

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

"worth a try in the mid atlantic or maybe the upper south if you have clay soil or less than optimum drainage. "

Well I had 3, 2 in the garden on a mound and one in a container with grit. They were all dead by the end of summer. Granted it was an extra wet and humid one, above normal railfall for June, July & August. Several seedling Abies delavayi were fine. (and a variety of other species I ordered from Treehaven)
    The Arnold Arboretum has a few though.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was speaking to A. firma as the understock, some things are not suitable everywhere no matter the roots. I wouldn't try any of them here, but some that they offer on firma certainly would be worth it farther north I would think. Were all that you tried on firma?

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

" (zone 5-8)- GRAFTED ON ABIES FIRMA A slow The dense branching habit creates a tight conical form."
    Named "Pendula" and described tight conical form ???
    In the same way, I remember Abies squamata "Flaky" is just a true Abies squamata.
    Clement

• cubicmile
    10 years ago

Yeah looks like they've started selling conifers because there is a market/money to be made instead of them enjoying or being passionate for conifers. Getting someone that knows more about conifers over there could only help the business! Its hard to buy from someone with such incorrect names or descriptions. Also as someone mentioned above, their prices have steadily increased in a very short time. Maybe they should concentrate on the camellias.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They do have a problem with names, some are so obviously wrong. I almost think that whomever is writing the catalogue is possibly dyslexic, letters seem to get mixed up a lot, so I will cut some slack. Someone should proofread for sure though. I don't think the prices are that much when you compare to FF, Greer or Gossler overall and the shipping is much better for me anyway. Pretty much in line with Woodlanders.

• dicaro_gw
    10 years ago

I will be doing several varieties of Abies on to firma in the next few weeks. Flaky, koreana Icebreaker, spectabilis, veitchii, koreana lippital. I live in eastern NC. FYI the flakey at CF is on cannan fir. CF got them from western evergreen who got liners from Bucholtz 2 years previous.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

"Yeah looks like they've started selling conifers because there is a market/money to be made instead of them enjoying or being passionate for conifers."
    I think this is being unfair. I have their catalogs going back to the early 1990s and they've always had a few conifers. They are natural companions to Camellias, after all. Sure it isn't what they specialize in. They probably just got some scions that were mislabeled and didn't bother to check the names.