Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Picea orientalis

dcsteg
11 years ago

One of my favorite Picea orientalis cultivars 'Gracilis'.

Compact with balanced growth habit.

See link.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by dcsteg on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 13:23

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

well hello dave.. how the heck are you .. the doldrums of winter are killing me ...

thx for the pix ...

you say its compact ... dont you hate.. when ... once it gets established.. all of a sudden it puts out a leader which makes you question your own sanity ... lol.. and the guy who wrote the description???

for you newbie observational all types .. the pic is brilliant.. if you look at the leader/trunk .. you can see 3 years of growth ... by the needle patterns on the trunk ... just above the plant that i presume dave planted about 3 years ago [am i close???] ... the trunk is bare ... then above that.. the needles about half cover the trunk ... and it looks like it grew about 12 inches that season ... and then a 3rd needle pattern at the top ... but it appears to have only grown 6 to 8 inches ... [unless there was some weird second flush????] ...

anyone have any clue.. because this is common.. that they have a spurt year

now .... why is it considered compact ... well.. because P.o. .. could easily be putting out 18 to 24 inch leaders ... so.. relatively speaking [and it is usually problematic.. when we start discussing the relatives.. lol] ... it is compact .. in terms of annual growth ... as compared to the species ...

i suspect.. and dave can discuss such if he wishes .. that if it keeps putting out 12 inch or more growth.. its going to swallow up the rest of daves garden there..

he will have two options.. he can start some tip pruning to keep it in check.. as long as he can reach all the parts of the plant..

or .. sooner or later.. dave will give it the kiss of death.. and be done with it.. since he is rather space limited ... but by then.. he will have gotten his ten or 15 years of enjoyment .. but his 'hate' will have grown .. [i am getting close with the hate on a few of my favorites .. even on 5 acres]

am i anywhere close on this speculation, dave???

thx for the post.. have a great day ...

ken

ps: i am stretching hard to make a conversation out of anything.. lol ...

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken,

I think we are on the same page. I need to be active and winter always put the clamps on me and sends me into a dark funk. If I had to deal with all your snow and long winters...would be tough mudder.

Yes I am concerned about its decision to put on more growth then expected. This will be its 2nd year in the garden. In time it will have to be moved or given away. One of the common eventualities that most conifer dwarfs face in my garden. I never tip prune or try to change the growing habit of a conifer. In the long run you are always the looser. By trying to change them they always develop into another form, you won't like that either, just because they are programed to grow.

In turn my garden puts on a new face every 2-3 years. I usually replace bad renters with something more interesting and long sought after. I have Cupressus nootkatensis 'Sparkling Arrow' and Platycladus orientalis 'Franky Boy' coming the 1st of April. My only 2 new additions. I also moved 6 last fall so the photos of my garden you saw in 2012 have taken on a new look.

Hang in there. Its already February.

Dave

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Dave, I get excited anytime you provide us with a little peak into your garden. Thanks for taking the time.

'Sparkling Arrow' and 'Franky Boy' oh please do share when they come in.

I planted a tiny 'Franky Boy' last spring and it was an excellent lambent yellow and green. It's winter color is more of a burnt turd. Otherwise very nice and provides the look of an evergreen grass. Mine grew a stringy 8 inches in it's first year, so give it room or a good shearing every once in while. I have read that the form benefits from a shearing to keep it looking tidy.

Here is a big-ish Platycladus orientalis 'Franky Boy' I took a pic of while visiting Lakeview Garden Center in Fairfield Ohio
    {{gwi:644920}}
    {{gwi:644921}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

In the long run you are always the looser. By trying to change them they always develop into another form, you won't like that either

==>> sounds like dealing with my teenage daughter ...

garen.. what can i say: It's winter color is more of a burnt turd.

i am sorry.. but i will have to steal that descriptive term ... thank you .. cant wait to see RC put it in the iseli catalog .. lol ...

ken