Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

New conifer garden soon!

I have just cleared my front garden. We removed all lawn so we will have WAY more room for planting beds. My hope is to add a conifer section (probably small, dwarf or minis mostly). My front yard is on the north side of the house, but I am in Georgia so it is very hot in the summer. Here is my yard a couple of summers ago,
{{gwi:10368}}

And here it is as of this morning, that is a wide gravel path meandering through the front.
{{gwi:10369}}

And a view from the front stoop facing out,
{{gwi:10371}}

I'm just looking for suggestions for good conifers to use in the south and any other ideas would be wonderful.

Comments (17)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

My friend Tom Cox has a book that's being released in a few months and is for sale right now at a discounted price. I'll link you to it.

Tom is a long-term past president of the American Conifer Society, and, he lives in Georgia.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscaping with Conifers and Ginkgo for the Southeast

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, Dax. I love gardening books but especially those the are geared toward my part of the world.
    A friend mentioned a new dwarf Gingko she saw recently so hope that is mentioned in the book.
    Annette

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Given the full sun setting, and your climate, you'll want to make sure your specific selections are tolerable of drought and sun. There are many great conifers that DON'T like too much sun/heat, mostly in the fir species. If you don't regularly get into the 100s in your climate, I'd certainly be tempted to try a half dozen firs - which to me are the most beautiful conifers in no small part due to their cones.

This photo series reminds me much of my own project this Winter, photos coming soon(and it may remind you of your own project).

-Will

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

time for a road trip ....

Tom Cox, past president of the American Conifer Society, is the founder and owner of Cox Arboretum and Gardens in Canton, Georgia

to see how its done.. in regard to conifers.. see link ...
    take the camera.. note pad.. and make notes on what looks happy in GA ....

local is so much better than WWW

do you know all about how to plant PROPERLY .. etc???

good luck

ken

ps: you really know how to 'clean up' a planting area.. lol ... no half measures for you.. eh????

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Annette,

You have a very nice setting for the development of a conifer garden.

I am not sure about the wide gravel path wide enough to drive a car through. Crushed white limestone? Can't tell but there is obviously more to that then we know. I would prefer to see a narrower green pathway with flag stone,soft earth tone color, spaced for walking on to soften the look you now have.

Hook yourself up with one of the larger nursery's in your area that will order specific cultivars you are looking for. Don't get in a hurry and place your focal point conifers correctly so the companion conifers and companion plants flow good for color and balance.

Dave

{{gwi:645628}}

• texjagman
    11 years ago

Going to local Arboretums is critical in the south as others have already said here. I too am a 7A in Oklahoma and have spent several years trying to stretch the zones. Ultimately you'll find that about 90% of what they talk about here...we can't grow long term in the south. Our combination of tough heat and horrible humidity are just too much for most typical conifers. But there are still many beautiful conifers we can grow so don't get dismayed.

mark

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses and links. I looked at the Cox Arboretum site and am completely inspired. Based on the site it doesn't look like they allow visitors? I'm not sure if I'm just not finding the right info. Basically it looks like you need to become a volunteer in order to gain access. I'd love to but owning my own business which is open 6 days a week drastically limits my volunteer time :D.
    As to the gravel path, it is crushed granite (local) and is wide enough for our tractor to traverse it. I can't do any stepping stones as the tractor will just crush anything. The only way my husband would agree to this overhaul was if we made it where we could get the tractor into most of the area in order to drop loads of wood chips in the beds and refresh the gravel. No wheelbarrow work allowed! I will probably put a few seating areas in the gravel areas that I can move when we need to bring in the tractor.
    We actually have a total of 12 acres here, so we spend about 3-4 hours a week mowing during spring/summer/fall so wanted to eliminate some of that upkeep around the house.

11 years ago

i said: past president of the American Conifer Society

join the Soc... and then.. contact the past pres .... and tell him you just joined.. and am afflicted with the disease of coniferitis.. and ask if you can make an appointment .... to learn ...

or ask him if he has a plant list.. simply so you can peruse what he grows ...

done right... i doubt he will turn you away ...

if that doesnt work.. after you join.. find what region you are in.. and contact that local pres... and ask him/her ...

third... once you join.. you will get a telephone directory ... by state no less.. and start calling peeps in GA.. and find out who will allow a visit ...

99.9% of plant people.. love to show off their gardens .... [we worry about the other .1% ... lol] .... and by joining.. you become one of us.. for better or for worse ...

dont make excuses .... by joining.. you have resources available ... trust me ...

and if you are ever heading toward MI ... bring your directory.. and give me a head up ...

ken

ps: a good hint.. an email upfront.. gets you my real last name.. which makes using the directory easier .... but you could still find me.. if you tried hard enough ... lol.. since adrian in my zip code/city ....

pps: did we mention we are good enablers????

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken,
    I will get right on this. Canton is just north of me, I drive past or through Canton at least once a week and I'm pretty sure I've seen the sign for Cox Gardens and wondered what it was.
    I've sent an email to the contact so will start there.

11 years ago

i picture myself.. on the back of a charter boat.. bobbing on lake MI.. reeling in a big fish .... lol ..

welcome to the addiction..

ken

ps: with my 500 plant collection of conifers.. my DEAD LIST.. is 100 ... what i am doing.. is trying to get you to skip the big DEAD LIST thing ... and local knowledge rocks .... Carpe Diem ...

pps: conifers are trees.. and they are trees that hold their leaves ... to insure success.. as best you can.. there are VERY SPECIFIC PLANTING TIMES .... and if you miss the nearest.. plan for the next ... do NOT.. think you can plant trees in summer ... and the earlier in spring.. the better.. i like to say.. 6 to 8 weeks before the other trees leaf out.. to get the roots working ... and pumping water.. before the stress of summer ... larger transplants are immediate gratification ... but much harder to nurse thru that first summer. .. TIMING IS IMPERATIVE ... and if your only alternative.. is to build all your beds.. and delay trees until fall .. so be it .... more posts with searchable titles ..... on specific issues will get you all you need to know ..

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My husband has a fruit tree obsession and taught me years ago how much easier it was to get new trees and plants established if I just exhibit some patience and plant in the fall! Plus all the nurseries have great sales in the fall since no one wants to plant then :D. I will most likely fill in this summer with herbs, annuals and ornamental grasses and work on my layout until fall. Plus it doesn't look like that fabulous book will be out for a bit so guess I'll have to wait a bit.

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

I'll put in a vote and a few photos of a conifer garden minus grass. Depends on your attitude I suppose but grass is a marvelously needy plant and I prefer the lesser maintenance from bark/gravel/conifers.

{{gwi:645630}}

{{gwi:645631}}

{{gwi:645632}}

-Will

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ffg, that is a beautiful garden. Very impressed with your organization and labeling. That is my goal :).
    Annette

• scpalmnut
    11 years ago

I was with Tom all last week on a road trip to Florida but shared your post with him. No prerequisites required to visit his arboretum in Canton, just an email or call will work.

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

Will, Dave your gardens are ones I can't never get bored... Keep us posted, please!

• chams
    11 years ago

keep us posted bocron. I'm just starting a major expansion - about an acre. I want it to look just like ffg's and Dave's, and Tom's too! MY hubby bought me a very used bobcat for Valentine's (I'm not allowed to use it). Anyone know how much mulch it takes to do an acre! Yee gods! - but first the deer fence. They took out my prized Picea abies pendula this winter.. after I had nursed it along for 2 years. WAR!!

• coxarb
    11 years ago

Dear Friends All,

I apologize for not responding to this sooner. Have been collecting with a friend and other things to keep me busy. You are most welcome to visit and I will be happy to show you around and share my experiences here in Georgia. My contact is 404-421-6614.