Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creepy Bugs Eating My Juniper!

Posted by amaranthena z6b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 16, 07 at 14:24

To my horror I found dozens of small black bugs eating away at my skyrocket juniper! I don't think they're mites because they're larger in size. They look like tiny spiders and they've imbedded themselves within the juniper. Some sections have dried up and fallen off. I've been picking them off by hand and have sprayed soapy water with pepper but they keep coming back. It's a little skyrocket in a pot I had purchased recently that I've been keeping indoors with the intention to plant it outside in the spring. Does anyone have any idea what they may be and how I can kill them once and for all? I'm afraid that if they're not completeley exterminated they'll infest my outdoor junipers. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creepy Bugs Eating My Juniper!

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 16, 07 at 15:14

My take on this is that they are spiders and that the dead bits are due to other causes. If you do not see them actually sucking or chewing on the plant then do not kill any more of them, spiders are beneficial predators. If you can't post a picture here try taking samples to an Extension office, if you have one near there. A reliable independently owned and operated garden center might also have answers for you.

o
RE: Creepy Bugs Eating My Juniper!

Hi bboy,

Thanks for you response. They are definitely not spiders. I'm very familiar with spiders of all sizes and shapes. They look like little black ticks. They have a tiny little head, a bulbous body with tiny antennae and tiny hairlike legs. They walk very slowly but faster than aphids. I had killed a batch of them a week ago and it looked like they were all gone but today I saw a few dozen all over the juniper again. When I squash them they ooze a dark red liquid. I'm totally confused.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here