Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurencehawkins

Chamaecyparis obtusas 'Melange'

laurencehawkins
11 years ago

Recently purchased a Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Mellange' from the American Conifer Society booth at a Garden show in Portland, Or. It was from the Iseli nursery. I can find no information about this cultivar anywhere on the web, including both the society and the nursery. I am wondering about its origin, eventual size, etc.
Any information much appreciated.
Larry

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

well .... WELCOME TO GW ...

no where like starting at the top.. with a plant that is so rare.. there probably isnt any info out there ...

we can speculate.. we can hope someone has grown it out for 10 years to know what it does ... and we can hope that person chimes in ...

but i will give you a few ideas how to figure it out.. in case no one answers ...

the first two latin names ... Cham obtusa ... would lead to info at the link ....

and from that ... we could surmise.. that it will never grow larger than that.. keying in on the annual growth rate ....

and from there we could speculate ... that a blue one might grow a bit slower.. a yellow one perhaps even a bit slower.. and if it has useless white tissue.. it might even be slower ...

now take your little beauty ... in your hand.. and trace back the leader.. and look for where the bark changes texture and color.. and that was its last year growth rate ... aka 'annual growth rate' .. which by the way.. back at the link i gave you.. on the left margin.. look for CONIFER INTRODUCTION.. and bone up on annual growth rates ...

and once you define that on your babe.. you can tell which annual growth rate category it fits in.. mini?? dwarf.. intermediate.. etc ....

and then using that predicted annual growth rate ... you multiply by ten.. and you have a ESTIMATE on it mature height ....

or.. all that said.. snap a pic.. post it.. and we can do it for you ...

BUT .... i doubt you have something in hand that grew more than 18 inches in a pot last year.. so if there is any chance its a monster.. well ... be afraid.. lol ..

well.. there you go.. 10 years of learning in one reply .... were was i when i was learning .. crikey .... [probably not paying attention.. lol] ....

welcome.. i hope we can enable you further...

ken

ps: if it takes me the rest of my life.. i am going to figure out your tricky GW handle name.. lol ... probably something really obtuse ... lol ..

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

It is not in the cultivar registry so likely a very new introduction. Seems like there is a new cultivar of Hinoki cypress on the market every other month or so - brooms or sports must appear with immense frequency :-)

Why don't you email Iseli and ask them about it? They do carry plants that don't appear on the website or in the catalog only because the numbers are very limited.

AFA as size is concerned, there are a lot more dwarf Hinokis than larger growing ones and even those (except for the species) don't get very big very fast.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

Randy is a regular here (rcsmith). He knows the Iseli line of plants better than most people. I hope he chimes in when he sees this post. Good luck finding your answer, Larry. I don't know this plant, either.

~Dave

This post was edited by Glaciers-End on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 19:41

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Lawrence, can you show us a pic of your 'Melange'?
    Maybe then we can provide you with more help...
    Thanks!

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Melange' came to Iseli Nursery from Wil Linssen. After several years of evaluation, it seemed to exhibit little that would distinguish it as something that would make it stand out from the great number of Dwarf Hinoki Cypress already in the marketplace. Though it may well prove to be an excellent cultivar - especially for collector's, we did not see it fitting in with our current product line. This happens with many new plants that we evaluate.

Larry, you have a very rare dwarf cultivar. As to its ultimate size, we do not know. Perhaps Edwin will be able to track down the original plant in his homeland and provide more information.

• laurencehawkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well now, I don't impress easily but I must admit the response to my simple request for information regarding Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Melange' was overwhelming. I don't know whether to thank each of you who responded individually. or just say how amazed I am at the response and information received. My thanks to all of you!

Our 'Conifer Garden' is a half acre or so created by my wife, I am, or at least was, more interested in rhododendrons, hosts, primroses, alpine plants, and vegetables, but I find we can integrate many of these (not most of the vegetables) into the 'Conifer Garden' without seeming intrusive.

Busy time of year, for all of us. So many seeds, so much to anticipate, so much beauty.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Hosts in particular can be quite entertaining.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Ken has a host of hosta and conifers.

tj

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

Conifer garden?... well, we're waiting for pictures! :^)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i used to kill a lot of alpines in my day ... lol ...

then one day.. had a yard of stone.. oh what did they call it.. scree ... dumped .... and made my own little mountain side ... and did better ... but still went thru them like water thru a sieve..

DANG IT.. i want pix ... its payment for the knowledge we gave .. lol..

yeah.. i have hosta ... anyone want them??

ken

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Randy, I just had Wiel Linssen on the phone and I asked him about the history of this cultivar.
    He told me that this one was found as a mutation on a Chamaecypris obtusa 'Nana Gracilis' somewhere in the north of Germany.
    The 'Melange' makes big parts of yellow in combination with the dark green colour.
    This conifer is a look alike of the Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Opaal' which was found in The Netherlands.
    Both cultivars can loose their variegation, so it's very import to use good variegated propagation material...

• laurencehawkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to extend a hearty thank you to all who have contributed to a better understanding of C. obtusa "Melange'. And we're trying to watch the omniscient 'spell-checker' that thinks it always knows what we are thinking. will try to post a few pictures of the 'conifer' section of the garden shortly.
    Thanks again,
    Larry

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!