Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeylargo_gw

Need new evergreen screen after Sandy and trees dying

skeylargo
11 years ago

When we bought a house 20+ years ago our back yard, specifically the wall of evergreens that gave us privacy was the best feature of the house. In recent years the evergreens started to thin out, look scraggly and die off. About 3 years ago we lost few trees in the middle of our green fence so we planted three 6 ft Leyland Cypress, one died and we had to replace it next year and then it lost the top. The two original ones are about 10 ft now. Last year we also put in few very small Leyland cypresses but are willing to relocate them. Then came Sandy and we lost 8 more trees and the rest looks pretty scraggly but we can't cut them all down right now. We want to start planting more trees to the right and left of 3 Leylands but also plan for cutting the rest of the scraggly 35'-40' tall old trees and replace with new ones in near future. The easiest and the cheapest probably would be to just put all Leyland Cypress but we are worried that too much of the same species is not good and it also does not look that interesting. We would like as a background to have the evergreen âÂÂscreenâ and then we would plant smaller bushes and perennials for color and more interest.

- What are some 2-3 different types of evergreens (preferably fast growing) that would work well for us
- How should we plant them - in groups of 3 or 5 or some other âÂÂrandom" pattern
- Is there a good place to look at some pictures or planting plans that would help us

Thank you so much for your help. It is sad looking outside now at all the stumps, scraggly trees and neighbors two streets away. :(

The back is pretty much straight, it kind of looks curved because of panoramic picture

Comments (9)

• skeylargo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to add
    - we have lots of deer so need deer resistant so arbovite is out
    - the soil is sort of "clayish"
    - we were looking at Nellie Steven's holy - is that a good possibility?
    - don't really like "manicured" look, wants more informal, natural

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

Sometimes on forums like this, people seem not to post if they have nothing nice to say. If you search the archives you will see that almost no one here has a high opinion of Leylands. Please, spare future generations the same problems you're having now by not planting any more that will just blow over in the next Sandy 30 years later, or decline from disease sooner. It's particularly funny to see attempts at creating an "estate" feeling by surrounding the house w/hideous walls of leylandii, which look particularly comical when a few of them topple over.

At the very least, plant Thuja 'Green Giant' instead, it is more disease resistant. And because it grows slower, less likely to outgrow its roots. Among other things - put some spruces and pines in there if you must stick to cheap conifers. A screen planting should have a variety of plants so that if one becomes prone to a disease you don't lose the entire effect.

I think hollies are undervalued as screening plants. Nurseries don't push them because they are more expensive to produce as salable plants than most [screening] conifers. You do have to wait longer though, they are definitely slower than leylands. They don't get as much love here because they aren't conifers. Nellie Stevens is ok but the very large growing hybrid I X koehneana would be even more useful for your lot size. Sadly it's almost unavailable in the trade. McLean Nursery in Balto., MD, has small plants for a reasonable price but they don't ship. The grow about 1' a year for the first 5 years, but then speed up to about 2' a year.

As people have posted here previously, the real solution to quick screening is to think about what you are really trying to achieve. Are you trying to entirely block the view from anywhere in your yard to anywhere beyond it? Or do you have an area where you sit that you'd like privacy. In that case build a small screened area with some trellis lathes and grow some annual vines on it.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

I missed you are in zn 6. If it's 6a in NJ, it might be a little to cold for Koehne hollies. There are a few large ones at Rutgers, though, which I believe is zn 6b.

As for the deer, I find the various reports of their preferences somewhat baffling so I can't speak to what resists them. 'Green Giant' may or may not be susceptible. Luckily my local deer do browse things sometimes but generally seem benign. Knock on wood. I have various common and rare hollies all over the place and the deer never eat them, except once tasting 'Sceptre' which they spit out on the ground!

btw - I know what blew over probably wasn't leyland. But by replacing it w/leyland, you've planted something that's even more likely to blow over.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 21:17

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

what he said...

diversity of planting rules ...

your base problem.. is that your deck is the height of the neighbors second floor ... there will be nothing 'quick' about re-screening at that level ...... no matter how big you buy things ...

if you wish to add a pic from ground level.. it will obviously .. change our perspective of the issue ... and might add some options ...

ken

• skeylargo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wasn't looking for feel-good nice opinion but an honest opinion. I am a big girl, I can take it! :-)

I am aware of the opinions about Lelyands on this forum and that's why I am trying to figure out what my other options are. We planted the Leylands BEFORE I read about them here. What we had before was I think blue spruce and some kind of fir. We actually hired someone few years back to help us figure out what to do with our front and back yard and she recommended Leylands - it was money wasted as now we are trying to reconfigure all planting front and back.

We spend 90% of the time on the deck that runs almost full length of the house; hardly ever do we go out onto the grassy area and the back now that the kids are bigger (highly under-utilized back yard). We really liked having a view of all trees and not seeing neighbors (we get along but like seeing nature and trees more than fence and neighbors).
    Davidrt28 - we live just a short distance from Rutgers, so I think we are zone 6b then? Where are the hollies you are talking about? Maybe I can take a ride to take a look at them.
    Ken_adrian - original picture was from the second floor window, my bad. I am posting now pictures from the deck sitting position where we usually sit and from ground level below deck. Sitting on the deck once the trees get to 10-12 feet gives us just enough privacy. Obviously I know the trees will not stop growing there but I donâÂÂt need them to be 50 feet either.

Thank you so much for your input. We are having stumps removed soon to be ready for planting in early spring. I assume the neighbor will fix the fence as well once it gets warm.
    {{gwi:647199}}
    {{gwi:647207}}
    {{gwi:647211}}

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

I've never been to the Rutgers campus so I don't know where the hollies are found.
    http://rutgersgardens.rutgers.edu/hollies.html
    No matter how serious or non-serious of a gardener you are, a trip to a local arboretum is always a good idea before starting a major planting project.

I tend to have a bit of an anti-natives bias in my own collection because I figure I will be outnumbered 20-to-1 by people who will favor them for political reasons, but don't forget selected native American Ilex opacas either. They won't grow as fast as the Koehne hollies but they are nice, and might be easier to find for purchase. I wouldn't buy an unnamed seedling, though, for screening purposes. Some of them will stay straggly and If you can find a Koehne holly I think they will be fine unless you are in the extreme NW part of NJ that gets quite cold.

You see on this page that Koehne hollies are highly rated by a # of arboreta:
    http://www.hollysocam.org/PDF/reports/HSAJournal2012v30ArboretaReports.pdf
    Tripleoaks (highly worth a visit) says about 'Hohman'
    http://www.tripleoaks.com/wpgdisplay.php?id=455
    "holly with incredibly fast growth rate"
    again, not as fast as cypress, but probably one of the fastest hollies.
    rarefind seems to think this is a fast opaca:
    http://www.rarefindnursery.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/1622.htm
    but it will -not- be 30' after 10 years!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://rutgersgardens.rutgers.edu/hollies.html

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 11:44

• skeylargo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

davidrt28 - thank you for the information. I looked at the Rutgers website and I never realized that there are so many areas to explore there. I've been to Rutgers gardens but only to buy some plants in the spring for my vegetable garden. Definitely will make a trip soon to look at different trees.

Obviously I am keeping the big leylands I already have but will get rid of the little ones. I'll check out and get some hollies based on your recommendations. I was looking at Green Giant but I have to check on deer resistance in my area - seems like the deer around me did not get the memo of what they are not supposed to eat - they ate many deer "resistant" plants. What other specific evergreens would you suggest to give me a little more variety that have relatively faster growth.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i would put something like a redbud.. right in the middle of the lawn.. between your deck.. and that bank of windows of the neighbors ...

do NOT limit your solution.. to the property line ...

unless of course.. that will ruin your bocci court ... lol ...

you are in a box .... at the property line.. look outside of it ...

in fact.. consider both solutions ....

ken

• skeylargo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's not a bocci court - it was a soccer field for my daughter and occasional volleyball court.
    They came to pull up the stumps today and cut another tree that was seriously leaning, now I can see more of my neighbors on the left. Also since most of the trees left have live branches on one side and they are leaning somewhat I think it's just a matter of time before they all have to come down. My husband does not want to cut them down, he says that at least there is something there, might need to convince him otherwise. That would be 8 more trees to cut down - ouch.
    {{gwi:647213}}