Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Visit to Pond and Garden

echolane
11 years ago

Thanks you! to forum members who gave me some great advice about where to buy dwarf conifers, I made the trek to Pond and Garden in Cotati on Thursday and found some wonderful plants.

{{gwi:647263}}.

Comments (17)

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oops! didn't mean to post the message without adding a second photo and a list of the plants I acquired. I just spent the last hour struggling to learn how to add photos and I thought I had it figured out. But I couldn't get the second photo to display! Very frustrating.

And, as you see, I still can't - Darn!

But here is the list of plants I acquired and I cannot wait to go back for more.

Ch lawsoniana Silver Thread

Picea abies Mikulosovice

Abies concolor Pigelmee

Picea abies Chrudim WB

Crytomeria japonica Compressa

Picea mariana Nana

Cedrus deodora Divinely Blue

Pinus parviflora Kinpo

Abies koreana Oberon

Picea glauca Blue Planet
    Pinus mugo Carstens

Abies koreana Cis

Ch lawsoniana Elwood Pygmy

Ch pisifera Blue Moon

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

you scored some real winners. Well, done. You're on your way.

~Dave

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Nice haul! Don't forget to post pics once planted.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

My favorite place! So glad that you found it. He also carries a great selection of Japanese maples and he moves plants up into larger pots when necessary so you don't have the problem of buying severely root-bound plants. You pay a bit more but it is worth it when buying woody plants. Good going and sounds like a great haul.
    Sara

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More stuff coming soon so I can't wait to go back!

I'm already badly addicted.....

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

superb..

was it anything like the blues bro's trailer.. lol ...

using GW photos.. you can only do one per post... you could have put the second with your list of names ...

it looks like it was a bun trip.. i dont see any verticals .. well.. thats the next trip .. lol .. we can justify anything ... lol

do you know how to deal with potted trees??? bare rooting and all that???

good luck

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Imagine what it is like to live 15 minutes from this place! And the word goes around in a nanosecond up here: Scott's got a new order from Iseli (or Buchholz or Stanley or whatever) - get over there asap!

He has a 30% off sale every October for the entire month. Worth remembering.

This is making my mouth water. I may have to stop by there today. My bankruptcy will be announced next week...

Sara

• ogcon
    11 years ago

Had a nice visit there last October with the Petaluma gathering.Great store,not large but doesn't waste space
    on mediocre material.Just a bunch of cool stuff in lots of sizes.Theres no turning back for you now!!

• Simoni
    11 years ago

Hi Echolane,
    please correct the name:

Picea abies Mikulasovice

L+M S

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally! I am able to figure out how to post the other photo. I hope I have photos figured out now because I have quite a lot I could share.

These are 4 of the 15 goodies I bought at Pond and Garden last week: Ch lawsoniana 'Silver Threads' (taller one on the left), Ch lawsoniana 'Ellwood Pygmy' (taller one on the right), Abies koreana 'Oberon' (on the left), Pinus parviflora 'Kinpo' (love the little cones!)

I really did pick a few verticals :-)

{{gwi:647265}}

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And thanks to Simoni for catching me in a spelling error. Duly noted!

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken,
    I would love to know how to deal with potted conifers! If you want to respond, perhaps you could give it its own subject heading so it's a searchable topic?
    Jan

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sara,

I'm insanely jealous that you live so close! Not to mention that it's such a drop dead beautiful area besides..... I love visiting that area whatever the reason.

The bankruptcy problem is a real issue even living as I do over two hours away. Dare I mention the further temptation of mail order goodies? I have a small order from Coenosium coming this week, and I suppose I will wind up ordering from Porterhowse and Conifer Kingdom. $$$$$$

Glad to hear about the 30% off sale in October.

Jan

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Jan, congrats with your very nice additions to your garden.
    Beside Milan I've also some misspellings to tell:

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Silver Thread'
    Must be written as
    Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Silver Treads'

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Elwood Pygmy'
    Must be written as
    Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Ellwood's Pygmy'

Both these cultivars ('Silver Treads' and 'Ellwood's Pygmy') were found as a mutation on a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Ellwoodii'.

Abies concolor 'Pigelmee '
    Must be written as
    Abies concolor 'Piggelmee'
    This one is found as a witches' broom by the Draijer Nursery in The Netherlands.

Pinus parviflora Kinpo
    Must be written as
    Pinus parviflora 'Kin-po'
    This one is also found as a witches' broom.

Picea glauca 'Blue Planet'
    Must be written as
    Picea mariana 'Blue Planet'
    This species mistake we see still to often...

I hope I helped you with this info.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

Edwin,

are you sure that it's 'Silver Treads?' I've always known it as Chamaecyparis 'Silver Threads.' Maybe a typo? ;)

~Dave

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Yeah, it's a typo... ;0)
    'Silver Threads' it is...

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Jan, did you noticed that reversion on your 'Ellwood's Pygmy'?
    It's the upper darker part with a differend foliage...