Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy_ny

Hardy deodar questions

I have searched out mail order sources for the following more cold hardy deodar cultivars:
'kashmir'
'karl fuchs'
'shalimar'
'eisregen'
'eiswinter'

Before deciding which/how many to purchase, how do these cultivars compare to each other with respect to growth habit/shape as well as needle color? For example, are some more upright and narrow than others, are any as wide spreading and large growing as the typical low altitude provenances, are some more glaucous than others, etc. If anyone has pics of matures specimens of these cultivars, I would love to see them. The internet is filled with pictures of 15-20' (4.6-6m) specimens but no pics of larger mature ones can be found.

Of all the above, I have only seen 'shalimar' in person. For some reason, the owner of the plant I saw continues to top-prune the leader each year, giving it a wide spreading multi-trunked appearance. I can only hope the pruning is for propagation as the tree looks aweful gangly and sprawling as a result of the heavy pruning each year.

Comments (12)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I have Karl Fuchs. It was a nice blue color when I planted it last summer, however I had Eisregren prior and it was definitely more blue. Unfortunately, I hit Eisregren with my mower many times learning to drive the thing and I simply killed it.

My Karl Fuchs is currently yellow but alive and well. It needs a few three years I think to establish. I planted it as a 1-year graft.

Karl Fuchs is more narrow than Eisregren.

I don't know anything about the others, without referencing Google, etc-.

Dax

• Ruslan.Hupov
    11 years ago

in my climate (zone 6) is doing well, "Golden Horizon"
    species died last winter at -30 * C (((

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

From the ones I've seen in person and in pictures, 'Kashmir' more or less looks like the basic, generic "species" Cedrus deodara. Which is not in any way a bad thing. In other words, a typical shape and green/silvery color with a touch of blue. Rather wide stance but not as wide as some I've seen. Slightly pendulous but not really "weeping".

Haven't seen a 'Shalimar' in person, but it appears to be a bit more weeping but otherwise similar to 'Kashmir'.

'Eisregen' & 'Karl Fuchs' to me both appear much bluer, & MUCH more narrow & sparse looking, especially in youth.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

I've never seen a 'Karl Fuchs' this size in person, but if this is an accurate picture, I might have to go out and find me one:

{{gwi:647966}}

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

'Karl Fuchs' on left, 'Eisregen' on right.

{{gwi:647968}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

everyone i know in MI.. is messing with zone pushing in ZONE 5!!!!

why is this in issue in your ZONE SIX????

ken

• Sarah80
    10 years ago

Nice comparison. Looks like Karl Fuchs is an actual blue, while Eisregen is basically green. However, a Google image search shows Eisregen more blue, too.

Is that picture a few posts up a good idea of what a mature Karl Fuchs looks like?

What is Eisregen's form like?

• treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for adding to this older thread of mine! The pics are great!

I ordered a small graft of 'Shalimar' and 'Eisregen' this spring. My 'Eisregen' is more upright/stiff than the 'Shalimar', but both have a nice blue-green needle color as opposed to Unprofessional's greener 'Eisregen'.

Here's my 'Shalimar':
    {{gwi:647970}}

And my 'Eisregen':
    {{gwi:647974}}

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Nice!

Source?

How did they do for you this summer?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

The one in the lawn is nowhere near mature, Himalayan cedar makes a massive tree.

• rolf_jacobs
    10 years ago

I would like to plant one or more Karl Fuchs at my trailer park and I'm wondering if it would be happy. Full sun, reasonable drainage, sometimes high winds in the winter, 25 miles south of Youngstown. My idea is to plant a grouping of 3 and then other, smaller, trees moving down a slope. The current ares is covered with Forsythia and I am tired of it.

There is a Cedrus libani about 40' away and it seems to be very happy and grew 16" this year.

Anyone tried Karl Fuchs under such conditions before?

• treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hairmetal - the 'Shalimar' came from Kigi Nursery and the 'Eisregen' came from Western Evergreen Nursery. Both have done well this summer. Should be interesting to see how they do this winter, especially if we have a colder than average one!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!