Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Picea glauca Echiniformis

echolane
11 years ago

This is one of my oldest dwarf conifers, bought in a 4" pot around 1991 and with the label Picea glauca 'Echiniformis'. I saw an older thread on this forum questioning whether this plant was even available in the U.S. Can anyone shed light on whether on not my plant was correctly labelled? Or if not, what it might be? (I hate not knowing the correct names of my plants.)

{{gwi:648014}}

Comments (11)

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

I don't think the true form of Picea glauca 'Echiniformis' is sold in the USA.

Yours undoubtedly is Picea mariana 'Echiniformis'.

Dave

Here's an old link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea g. 'Echiniformis'..a bogus cultivar sold in U.S.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dave is right, your specimen is a Picea mariana 'Echiniformis'...

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

No such plant exits with the legitimate name Picea mariana 'Echiniformis'

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Stephen, in fact you're right.
    But since this one is known in the trade as Picea glauca 'Echiniformis' it would be better to only change the species name and let the rest be as it is...

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh dear, I'm more confused than ever! How should I label this plant?

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

We know It's a Picea mariana 'Nana' or at least a clone there of, so why not call it what it is ?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Also to me it looks like a clone of Picea mariana 'Nana' which will say that it is not the same one.
    Only for this reason I would remain the cultivar name 'Echiniformis'...

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

But it's the same in Europe for Picea mariana 'Nana' Edwin, there are all different clones in the trade, or at least plants that have been propagated from the more vigorous growth that seems to develop sooner or later. Besides not sure you can have two plants in a genus with the same name ?

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Here's an interesting tidbit I just read on the Buchholz blog:

"Picea glauca 'Blue Planet' originated as a mutation on an 'Echiniformis' in Germany, and was introduced in 1993. It is also very tight, but with a more round shape, and is attractive for its sparkling buds."

While confusion reigns throughout the industry, insightful forum members have pointed out that 'Blue Planet' and the US clone of 'Echiniformis' are P. mariana, not P. glauca.

I have recently aquired a small "Picea glauca 'Echiniformis' [sic]" from Stanley and Sons, and I'm still unclear what to label it. Is there any consensus on whether it should be called Picea mariana 'Nana' or 'Echiniformis'? It would be nice to settle the question.

Perhaps I'll just call it Picea mariana 'Echininana'...

Alex

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This topic continues to frustrate me because I really like to have the correct name of a plant.

I have the older plant pictured at the beginning of the thread which came with the label Picea glauca 'Echiniformis'. I have a second smaller plant that has a label Picea mariana 'Nana', and it does look a good deal like the former, but I am not a taxonomist, so I do not know with any certainty whether or not they are identical clones.

I was not aware that Picea glauca 'Blue Planet' is another source of naming confusion (I also have this plant, but to me it looks noticeably different from the aforementioned 'Nana' and 'Echiniformis'.

My inclination is to keep the names they came with and make note of the confusion in my records.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Echo,

I am feeling your frustration. Got my small 'Echiniformis' last fall and overwintered it in the pot with the intention of planting this spring. Now I'm considering not planting it at all because of this uncertainty around what to call it. It would be a shame since the plant is choice and I really like it. Haven't decided what to do yet.

On a lighter note, I have decided not to refer to it as 'Echininana'. I think that's a pretty cool name, but it might sound like I'm slurring my speech while trying to say "a kind a 'Nana'" ;-)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath