Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

Wanted: Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Snow Flurry' information

I came upon mention of this one in another thread and did a little bit of googling.

Who all has or has seen this one? Is it similar to the species or more like Ogon but white tipped?

If anyone has some pics of their own from different months I would love to see them.

Ogon has to be the absolute quickest way to get a large tree's spring, summer and fall yellow into your landscape so I am excited about anything similar but of different color and I have not been enticed by other cultivars yet.

Comments (45)

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Snow Flurry':
    aka ''McCracken's White', 'Pat McCracken', 'Pat's Best White'.
    It's a white tip variegated one and grows as fast as the species.

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Snow Flurry'
    {{gwi:648080}}

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. I would not have thought that much growth was possible out of a tree with variegated foliage but Ogon has shiwn me otherwise.

Most Ogons I have seen have more.....smooth, refined trunks than comparable the species. Anyone think this of Snow Flurries?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

my jack frost is a piece of carp... its white coloration is way too subtle.. and very short lived.. as it usually greens before i even notice it ..

i SUSPECT this one also greens up.. hence no reduction in the growth rate ... thats my inference.. and i ask joy if it is a good one???

the question should be, presuming the above .. how long does it hold its white tissue ...

nice to know it has 4 names ... makes it real easy for the collector.. that sarcasm doesnt translate well to the typed word .. lol

in the alternative.. i am saying a tree with less than green tissue .. HAS TO GREEN ... for it to maintain the growth rate of an all green version ....

ken

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

The only concern I have with this one is availability. I am having a hard time locating it online...

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

It's white tipped during the whole growing season and every new growth does show those white tips.
    Older needles will fade back to green which give it a very nice scene.

Ken, your problem is the climat you're living in.
    The Pinus sylvestris 'Inverleith' in your garden does have the same problem...

• bobfincham
    12 years ago

I first saw this plant in 1993 during a trip to Australia. They had it under the name 'White Spot'. I brought it into the States under that name in 1993 and used to offer it for sale. You might try that name in your search. I don't know when the other names were assigned to it

It develops heavy butresses and is very impressive at a young age. The white puts 'Jack Frost' to shame.

Bob

• bobfincham
    12 years ago

I first saw this plant in 1993 during a trip to Australia. They had it under the name 'White Spot'. I brought it into the States under that name in 1993 and used to offer it for sale. You might try that name in your search. I don't know when the other names were assigned to it

It develops heavy butresses and is very impressive at a young age. The white puts 'Jack Frost' to shame.

Bob

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Thanks Bob :) That certainly resulted in more hits for online availability. Interesting to note that nearly all online outlets offering it for sale give a much reduced growth rate compared to the species contrary to the reports above.

John

ps - I don't spend much time over here on the conifer forum but even I know coniferjoy knows their stuff ;)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I've seen this plant for sale in my area and it was white tinged almost all season without burn. I should have just bought the darn thing.

• abciximab
    12 years ago

My understanding is Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Snow Flurry' was found by Pat McCracken of TN or NC, USA. He shared it with friends outside the U.S. before the cultivar was officially named. The tree was propagated and sold under several names 'McCracken's White', 'Pat McCracken', 'Pat's Best White' as it made its way back into the U.S. Finally it was named 'Snow Flurry'.

Is 'Snow Flurry' the same cultivar as 'White Spot'? My 'Snow Flurry' is a vigorus grower.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Bob, you started a big confusion here...both are differend cultivars.
    'Snow Flurry' was found by Pat McCracken in the U.S.
    Only the new growth does have white tips.

'White Spot' ia a totaly differend one and originated from Australia indeed.
    It's needles are white variegated.

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'White Spot'
    {{gwi:648081}}

• bobfincham
    12 years ago

Thanks Edwin. I suppose that is why 'Snow Flurries' is harder to find. It fits between 'Jack Frost' and 'White Spot' in amount of variegation.

Bob

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

To complete the variegated Metas:

In a M.g.' White Spot' in his garden Mr. Schirrmann from Northern Germany found a witches broom, which is still alive.
    He propagated and named it ' Schirrmann's Nordlicht'.Slower growing, without a cenral leader.

Wolfgang

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

The 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht' does make a central leader but this will take a couple of years.
    Henk and I both received a plant from Mr. Schirrmann's first propaged one's.
    The specimen at this picture is now 5 years old.

Unfortunately also this German cultivar name is translated in the English language as 'Northern Lights'...

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht'
    {{gwi:611629}}

• dietzjm
    12 years ago

Does anybody have any information on Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Niescke Cream'?

• bobfincham
    12 years ago

It is 'Nitschke's Cream' and was found by the late Peter Nitschke in Australia. Here it flushes a very light cream color and can suffer some burn. It is a slow grower but will speed up if given large quantities of water. During the summer it is a light green and doesn't become heavily covered with foliage.

Bob

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

Does anybody know, if there's a difference between M.g.' Little Creamy ' and ' Silhouette'. We have here a nursery which offers both, but I heard it's a synonym.

Wolfgang

• sugi
    12 years ago

Hi all,
    I think that Metasequoia G. 'Little Creamy' and 'Silhouette' are the same plants under two names.
    I heard one day that 'Little Creamy' was send to USA whithout name and back with the name 'Silhouette'. But not sure!

Here is a link that might be useful: New white Metasequoia

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

Hi Julien,

thanks!

I heard this , too and I know the story. I think the nursery buys plants in the Netherlands under both names and does not know that they are equal.

Wolfgang

• gardener365
    12 years ago

My Metasequoia 'Silhouette' is gold variegated. I've never seen white present at any time & 'Little Creamy' I've never heard of. Then 'Lightening' from Buchholz??? It doesn't all jive???

Dax

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

'Little Creamy' and 'Silhouette' are NOT the same cultivar!

'Little Creamy' grows slower then the species and does have a creamy variegation.

'Silhouette' is also creamy variegated but it's shape is much more slender and that's why this cultivar name is standing for.

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Wow that Metasequoia glypt lightning is almost white
    but its going to burn in sun.I had a Goldrush that
    burned in the sun but ok now.

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

Thanks Edwin for your help.

Could it be that you cannot see a difference between young plants?

Wolfgang

• abciximab
    12 years ago

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Lightning' apprears to be completely white. Does this tree lack or contain very little chorophyll? If so, how does photosynthesis occur? Wouldn't it have to be planted in complete shade? I thought there had to be some green color in the variegation.

• sugi
    12 years ago

Thank's for informations Edwin!

Anybody know if 'Silhouette' is on the trade in Europe or stay now a collection cultivar?

Julien

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

Julien,

I asked , because I saw it in my well-known nursery Stefan Enneking. He offers Little Creamy and Silhouette. I will ask the next days if he has available plants or if he has only listed.

Wolfgang

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Yes a very good source ive ordered from them before.

• brentm
    12 years ago

Edwin or Henk-

For Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht'

Have you had any consistent graft bulging issues or worked around them?

Best-

Brent

• aljoedfro
    10 years ago

Hi

there seems to be a lot of confusion about all the cultivars of dawn redwoods. i'm trying to find a smaller version of the species, but can't seem to get a straight answer. i just want one that grows to no more than 40ft. little giant is advertised to grow to 15ft but i've heard conflicting reports to the validity of that. has anyone had experience growing this one? does it indeed grow to only 15'?

Also, if there are any other varieties that dont grow so tall please let me know. i've heard spring cream is a smaller version.

thanks, your info is appreciated.

alex

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

'Miss Grace' would be a good bet for you.

• aljoedfro
    10 years ago

thanks for your feedback, unprofessional, but i'm aware of miss grace but do not want a weeper

• evhrox
    10 years ago

I planted a m.g. Little Giant in August of 08 and the width has held true but the height is beating expectations. It is now about 7 feet across and 18-20 feet tall. My first m.g. and the one that ignited my passion for this cultivar. This photo is 18 months ago but can give you a good perspective. Far right anchor...

Bill

• evhrox
    10 years ago

follow up pic

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• evhrox
    10 years ago

need a refresher on photo posting please

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Use the html link to share pics on antiquated ol' gardenweb.

Here you go:

{{gwi:648082}}

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

Hi aljoedfro, from what I have gathered from different sources online is that 'little Giant' is not a dwarf but will grow slower than the species at an average growth rate of around 12" per year until it dies. So growth rate is what you want to look at not the mature size that is listed on sites. Mature height is usually a vague 10 year estimate. it will keep growing well past that hight indefinitely.=^)

Two slower growing Metasequoias to consider would be 'Schirmann's Nordlicht' (Awesome!) or perhaps 'Bonsai'. I believe 'Bonsai' is more of a semi weeper that needs to be staked like 'Miss Grace' so maybe not that one.

• User
    10 years ago

I have a question.

Are the varieties that are creamy white more vulnerable to burning, and if so why? I had a cream white variety that seemed to be seared by an early April period of hot, dry windy weather. So far, the all green seem less temperamental to heat stress and drought.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No experience with the dwarfs but Ogon does well for me. Mine gets shaded from morning sun and I guess some shade in the late day so its not like the tree is out in the middle of a field but it handles a pretty normal spot.

You know, I watered it during last year's terrible heat and drought but the foliage held up great.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

this post.. is a nomenclature nightmare ... lol ...

NJ ... plant tissue transpires... gives off water ... sweats .... white tissue gives off more water.. than the plant can process.. hence it burns ...

i also like to think of chloropyll as sun tan lotion .... no green.. no pf 60 .. lol ...

two NONSCIENTIFIC explanations for why white .. and yellow tissue can burn ...

the best siting for such.. is NO SUN IN THE HEAT OF THE DAY ... when they would sweat most ... and water is usually not available ...

also ... some plants .... in some zones can handle it.. because cool nights give them time to recover ... the hotter your nights are.. the worse it will be ...

aljo.. conifers are trees.. they NEVER stop growing.. at some magical height ... they have an annual growth rate.. and will grow at the rate for decades ... once established... ALL size estimates are at 10 years ... and you can presume.. at 20... they will be twice as big ...

ken

• fireweed22
    10 years ago

The Pat McCracken I had (died due to voles in first winter) was 8-9' tall, and I have to say the variegation was not impressive in my opinion. Planted nearby a species meta, from 10-15' back you could barely tell which was which. I believe it does fade to green.

• fireweed22
    10 years ago

The Pat McCracken I had (died due to voles in first winter) was 8-9' tall, and I have to say the variegation was not impressive in my opinion. Planted nearby a species meta, from 10-15' back you could barely tell which was which. I believe it does fade to green.

• washingtonspy1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here’s my Metasequioa “Snow Flurries“. It’s been in the ground for 5 year. It serms to be slower than gold rush but faster than miss. Grace. The white does not burn in full sun In the western Maryland area. Here’s a couple of picture:

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    5 years ago

Thanks for the pic. Should not need a stake any longer.

tj

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 years ago
    Hey Nelson, Beautiful garden and exceptional cultivars! How about showing the folks here some of your larger conifers I've been fortunate to see. Or maybe start a new ' I spy thread '
    Thanks...Al
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH