Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Erika'

echolane
11 years ago

Here's another one of my oldest dwarf conifers where I am trying to verify I have the correct name. My records show I bought a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Erika' from Miniature Plant Kingdom in 1991 and I think this is the plant that had that label. Can anyone confirm this identity?

{{gwi:648199}}

Comments (10)

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Or could it be Abies balsamea Nana?

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Or is this the more likely candidate to be Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Erika'?
    (sorry, not a great photo, but I'm waiting for the battery on the good camera to recharge; meanwhile this is an iPhone photo).

{{gwi:648201}}

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Jan, The correct name is Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Erika'.
    I would like to see better photo's of both your specimens to identify the correct one.
    Maybe I can help you also with the other one :0)

For sure is that non of these is an Abies balsamea 'Nana'...

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hopefully, these are better photos so it might be possible to identify both plants. At this point, I, too, can see that the first one is definitely not Ch obtusa 'Erika' though I would still like to know its name. The other one has been hanging around for years and years in a very inhospitable shady spot and was just moved into a new spot a month ago, and I would really like to know its name.

{{gwi:648203}}

{{gwi:648205}}

• ogcon
    11 years ago

I'm hesitant to post my suspicions,but here goes.....old plant tags weathered and nearly incomprehensible
    provide odd suggestions.Its looking to me as if Erika might
    be Erica ,perhaps cineria ,a lovely heath.If so you must have noticed at least a few small flowers perhaps in winter.
    The leaves on Erica are reminiscent of conifer needles unlike Heather with its scale-like leaves.I grow a ton of it as
    I'm a bit old school and like its partnering with many conifers.Doug

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Doug, I think you might be right, the first one isn't a conifer at all...
    It could be an erica, a heather indeed.

The second one is a Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Plumosa Compressa' with a reversion.
    Please prune the reversion out, this is the faster growing branch with the other foliage.
    It looks that your first pic of this conifer shows reversions all over, especialy on it's right upper side...

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've examined my unknown more closely, and now I, too, am wondering if it is an Erica. I did compare it to another Erica I am growing, and they are certainly similar and since I've owned quite a few ericas over the years, it is a possibility. The trouble with that possibility is that it doesn't ever bloom. Could it be that I have sheared it every year before it has had a chance to bloom? Maybe......

It has just been moved and in general, I don't like to cause further insult to a plant when it has just been moved, so it wasn't top pruned this year. I guess I will have to play the waiting game to see if it will bloom and tell me whether or not it is an Erica!

Just for fun, here is a photo of an Erica I really like that I've had for years and years. It is just finishing its late winter/early spring bloom - Erica erigena 'Golden Lady' - and without its flowers, it does look very much like a conifer:

{{gwi:648207}}

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OTOH, here is a photo I harvested off the web of Ch. obtusa 'Erika' and at least to my uneducated eye, it does look quite similar to my unknown plant:

{{gwi:648208}}

Still, confusion reigns, because other photos of plants with this name appear to be vertical growers quite unlike the one in the above photo. Or, adding to the confusion, perhaps the web photo is mislabeled and it is actually an Erica..... !

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And thank you so very much Coniferjoy for identifying my other unknown! And I will take your advice to cut out the reversions (I have so much to learn!).

Jan

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Jan, your last pic is the true Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Erika'.
    It's a juvenile form of this species which is quite simular to your first pic, but when you're taking a closer look you'll see that they're differend...