Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

Montezuma cypress already leafing out

lou_spicewood_tx
10 years ago

I guess all these cold weather didn't make a difference. It's still leafing out already. Ahh... early spring!

Comments (8)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Tell it to go back, its a trap!

tj

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol. It did the same thing last year but the winter was much more mild and it was in Houston when I got it from my brother.

It should be interesting to see how it turns out by the end of February.

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

I have noticed that my Tx. Hill-Country bald cypress will leaf out 2-3 weeks earlier than a standard bald cypress I got from Arbor Day Foundation.
    But this is really early. Did the leaves get "scorched" last year?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scot,

It looked very healthy the entire time last year. I just thought it was puzzling because of cold weather this winter. The picture I'm uploading is taken on 8/11/2013.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Hopefully your tree knows something we dont ! This winter is a drag for sure. I feel for the folks in our northern states!

Al

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

It must rely more heavily on photoperiod than soil temperature to initiate growth since it is starting at a very similar time as it did previously. Probably not surprising since in its native range, late frosts aren't usually a problem especially the further south the seed source.

I know sali will disagree with this since he is in the native range and gets late frosts regularly. Again, I am referring to the more southern growing specimens.

And I couldn't help myself, tsuga

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

LOL

The tree needs to get off of Houston Time and start living on Tulsa Time.

tj

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Apparently, one of my new neighbors already had MC for years... over 20 ft and it is just starting to leaf out like mine. Darn it. I thought I was the only one with MC.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling