Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the month, February

To keep, hopefully, most people happy, I'll be keeping these series short on photos and try and focus on the cooler plants I grow.

This series highlights a half dozen plants that now grace my new stone path beds in the front gardens.

Pinus monticola 'Nana' - A slow grower, this plant will look much better now that it's in dry, sandy soils and full sun.
{{gwi:650270}}

Abies koreana 'Tundra' - A beautiful dark green and compact, spreading form.
{{gwi:650271}}

An unknown chamaecyparis. Moved from a neglected bed where it was being shaded by showing great form/color.
{{gwi:650274}}

Pinus parviflora 'Catherine Elizabeth' - Certainly one of the nicest parviflora's, it seems to hold more of it's interior, blue-green needles than many of the dwarves.
{{gwi:650276}}

Pinus nigra 'Komet' - A narrow fellow.
{{gwi:650278}}

Pinus mugo Jakobsen' - No pruning, just unusual form. Probably a hybrid.
{{gwi:650279}}

Picea omorika 'Piccolo' - Sneaking in one more.
{{gwi:650280}}

-Will

Comments (12)

• kmanzfive laknee
    11 years ago

Nice as usual ! Really like the Ab. kor. Tundra and Pn. m. 'Jakobsen'

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

Hi Will,

I believe that your "unknown Cham" is Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Gold Dust.' Got a couple that are about that same size from Larry Stanley a few years ago.

~Dave

• dietzjm
    11 years ago

Awesome, thanks for doing this. But with all due respect, we're going to need to see more than 6 plants from your collection per month. I'd say 30 is more like it. Many thanks in advance! ;)

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

That 'Jakobsen' is fantastic. Encore. More more =^)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, you showed us a nice selction of conifers again.

I see that you finaly put that Pinus monticola 'Nana' out of the big pot into the ground.
    I guess it will feel much better now ;0)

What colour does the flakes have on your "unknown' Chamaecyparis?

Picea omorika 'Piccolo' doesn't exist, there must be a mistake in tagging it at the nursery or garden centre.
    'Pimoko' is possible because both these names are pretty simular...

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Your unknown Chamaecyparis looks like a pisifera to me..

I agree with Edwin that your Picea omorika is probably a 'Pimoko'. The growth rate and structure look right for this plant..

Very nice pictures as always, Will. I hope you never run out of room for expanding your collection!

-Sam

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Sweet ! Always enjoyable and informative.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Edwin, as always and everyone for the compliments. Edwin, the sparkling on the chamaecyparis is more gold then any other color. It's likely a Stanley and Sons plant, just like Dave suggested, but I didn't get it from Stanley - I traded it with a nursery in 2009 or so.

I'll keep an eye on the incorrectly named omorika and see if it develops like or unlike 'Pimoko'. Right now I'd guess you are right about it's likely name though it seems slower growing in the early going. I traded that with a collector from Oregon and had 2-3 other misnamings, so I'm not shocked.

My hope with P. monticola 'Nana' is that it grows slower in the sandy/weak soil in the front and full sun then it did in the part-shade, nutrient rich soil it was in before.

I'd be happy to show a few more plants from the same garden segment. :)

Abies koreana 'Grübele H.B.' - Name corrected by Edwin, it also goes by many other names 'Kristallkugel', 'Doni-Tajusho' etc.
    {{gwi:650281}}

Picea abies 'Gold Drift' - Was in a mostly shady spot - it will be great to see how bright it gets in full sun as I let it sprawl next to the stone paths.
    {{gwi:650282}}

An unknown, Spring gold colored Picea orientalis. I'll post photos in Spring for comparison of this, 'Gold Drift' and the plant below.
    {{gwi:650283}}

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' - Was in part-shade - and no gold.
    {{gwi:650284}}

Pinus mugo 'Zundert'
    {{gwi:645632}}

-Will

• hungrymind
    11 years ago

Will, thanks for showing us these of your garden! And all the thousands of other pics I have seen of yours. A lot of these I would not know existed! Glad to see your mower is on its way out, this is how I found this forum. I was trying to reduce my turf grass, some day my mower will sit on the curb with the free sign on it. Again thanks for the pics!
    Rob

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Pinus parviflora 'Catherine Elizabeth' is a fantastic specimen. Deserves a place in the upper echelon of conifer cultivars.

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

I second whass on the Pinus parviflora 'Catherine Elizabeth'.

I would also add Pinus mugo 'Zundert'. Also a highly prized keeper. I would relocate it to a permanent location in your garden. Won't work where it is now planted.

Amazing how a half dozen conifers became 7 and then quickly became 12. Well why not. What you are seeing here is unique. As Rob says: "Some I didn't even know existed". I also concur with his statement.

Dave

Edited for spelling.

This post was edited by dcsteg on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 17:32

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Fantastic edition...and additions to the yard!

Josh