Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Thuja occidentalis 'Franky Boy'

dcsteg
11 years ago

A early purchase that I won't be picking up from the nursery till the end of March.

Dave

A dwarf evergreen conifer with a broad upright form. Foliage is thread-like and golden. Wonderful in winter when 'Franky Boy' turns to bronze-orange. Prefers full sun in well-drained soil. 4' tall x 3' wide in 10 years. Hardy to -20 degrees. USDA zone 5.

{{gwi:650637}}

Comments (24)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Excellent selection, Dave, and I had to jump on this before Edwin said anything:
    Don't you mean Platycladus orientalis 'Franky Boy'? ;-)

That's a big one, too, btw!

-Sam

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

for those of you who are unaware ..

most likely.. the red tag.. has dave's name on it ... SOLD!!!! ..

just cuz you buy it.. or tag it.. doesnt mean its planting time ....

why leave it there???? is it among friends ....????

ken

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sam,

Good observation. Platycladus orientalis 'Franky Boy' it is.

I saw it after I posted but what the heck I knew someone would take care of it. Thanks.

Ken, you are correct. Sold with my name on it. It has been in the greenhouse for awhile jump starting it for a March plant and garden show at this nursery. I could have taken it but was asked if I would leave it to exhibit in the show. No problem with that. I don't have to care for it till planting time. Besides you don't want to bite the hand that gives you great prices and looks for hard to find cultivars for you. Indeed it is among friends.

Dave

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Acer p. 'Crimson Queen' on high standard that I especially liked.

Beautiful symmetrical shape and straight trunk. Choice and ready for the show.

I posted this for those who are ready for spring. I used PB so you could left click for larger clearer photo.

{{gwi:650639}}

Are the pages shrinking. I hate to think GW is going to trash their web site the same way PB did. Does any sound thinking prevail concerning anything anymore? No issues with GW or PB a month ago and now we have to deal with this garbage.

Disappointed and ready to jump ship. Not sure where but looking.

Dave

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    10 years ago

This plant is on my wish list, but I'm wondering how well it holds up/recovers from snow loads with out having to tie it up? Any experiences with this situation?
    Marshall

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Dave you just hijacked your own thread!

I love, love, love 'Franky', no matter whose family he belongs to. Just planted one.

Sara

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Sara,

If I am the one doing it then it's OK.

Dave

• greatplainsturf
    10 years ago

Here is mine that I picked up this spring. Not quite as orange as I expected it to become this winter. At least not yet.

{{gwi:650641}}

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I just love it poking out of the snow like that!

What personality.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

That doesn't look like a 'Franky Boy' at all, it's way too green for that...

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

'Whipcord'? Now that you mention it, my 'Franky' is bright chartreuse green.

Sara

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

It doesn't like a 'Whipcord' eiter, it's to stiff for it.
    A true 'Whipcord' grows wider and has thicker branches...

• greatplainsturf
    10 years ago

It was definitely a lime green in the summer. I think the increased amount of shade it gets in winter has darkened it. Some orange showing up on the inner stems. It's definitely a "Franky Boy", I have the tag from Iseli.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    10 years ago

I was hoping Dave would respond to my request about snow load handling for Franky Boy. Thought he would have had some snow by now. Greatplainsturf's plant - whatever it is - seems to handle the snow well.

Marshall

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I just went out and looked at mine. Admittedly it is 50 degrees here and no snow, but mine is much darker than it was when I planted it 2 months ago and looks like the photo above (sans snow). I hoarded it all summer in a pot in the shade and it was chartreuse then, too. Edwin maybe the colder temps make it darker?

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Marshall,

Hard to believe but just a dusting of snow here. 11 inches on the ground 50 miles south of us.

Based upon various conifers with this kind of growth characteristics a wet heavy snow or ice storm is going to smush this thing to the ground. I would think it should rebound in a thaw. We will see and should know by spring.
    The 'Franky Boy' I have posted here has seen 10 days of sub freezing cold averaging about 20 F. or below. Lowest temperature about 0 F.

I think this is about it for winter coloring. For me nothing special as I don't see the bronze or orange color supposedly associated with it. Summer time color is much more desirable and that's what I bought it for.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 19:45

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

This was on my wish list based on the winter color change advertised. Glad you guys posted pictures. Hope you'll update us again at the end of winter, to report if you experienced any of the orange.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

If you want orange, try Juniperus communis 'Kalebab'.

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

Nice winter color on 'Kalebab' Sara, but gets too large for me.

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

So, with all the cold temperatures we've been having, did the color on 'Franky Boy' get better for any of you?

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

wannabeGardnr

Certainly nothing to covet in the winter for sure.

Dave

1-18-14.
    {{gwi:650644}}

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

My cryptomerias are looking like that now.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I LOVE the winter color!

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    10 years ago

Dave - I agree it's winter color is rather Blah, but maybe if I planted it near a Nandina domestica Fire Power, it might brighten up a tad.

Marshall

This post was edited by mrgpag on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 21:45