Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for Juniperus virginiana 'Canaertii' liners

Posted by mrgpag swOH-Z5/6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 17:34

anyone know of a source that has small plants for lining out? We have a need for about 100-150. Going to try and root some but from what I've read it's very difficult at best.

Thanks
Marshall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for Juniperus virginiana 'Canaertii' liners

Decker Nursery lists having 4300 available in 2.5 inch liner. The are located in OH so may be relatively close to you. I could not find any info about wholesale vs retail on their website www.deckernursery.com

Keith

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to availability

o

Thanks Keith - not sure how I missed that as I must have searched upteen pages of Google hits. Very familiar with Decker Nursery and they are nearby.

Thanks again
Marshall

o

Marshall,

What are your plans for 100-150 'Canaertii' junipers?

Random screen plantings and individual groupings of 3 or more?

I have 30 + years dealing with this cultivar.

There are some pitfalls that can't be avoided but for the most part they make a wonderful screen if planted correctly.

When I planted in 1981 one of the best screen makers out there. If to do over again today there are much better choices out there if screening is your objective.

Dave

o

Dave -
Cox Arboretum is part of the Five Rivers Meroparks(FRM) system here in the Dayton area and FRM management is on a big plant native kick. And we have a couple attractive large old Canaertii in our collection which our Horticulturist wants to promote since it's a cultivar of our native J. virginiana - which do very well here locally. We do have some screening in mind for some of the plants and others may be given away to Members to promote the native plant theme - personally I wouldn't take one as I have no need for it on my property.
So if you have any comments to share, I'll pass them on to the powers-to-be for their consideration.
Thanks
Marshall

o

Marshall,

My only concern is long term survival. They can live a long time if cared for and grown in a way to ensure survival.

If planted as specimen plants they are very likely to fall victim to ice and heavy wet snow loads. Planted as a grouping, 3 or more, or for that matter in a staggered screen they tend to protect each other from limb breakage as they droop and lean against each other.

If the powers to be proceed with this venture make sure all are groomed into single leader plants to ensure survival from the elements. If left to free range most will be multi-leader specimens and we all know the problems associated with that.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave - all those things you mentioned have already been considered.
Marshall

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here