Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Picea glauca must have

dcsteg
15 years ago

A lot of look-a-likes here with different cultivar names. I wish I had spring photos for full color effect. Winter photos it is.

Dave

Picea glauca 'Blue Wonder'.An improved selection with striking gray blue foliage.

{{gwi:650986}}

Picea glauca 'Pixie. A miniature. I have had these 3 eight years. About a 1/2-3/4 inch a year.

{{gwi:650988}}

Picea glauca 'Sanders Fastigiata'. 2-4 inches a year. Plant introduced by Iseli about 1985.

{{gwi:650990}}

Picea glauca 'Humpty Dumpty'. This is an extremely dense plant. As wide as it is tall.

{{gwi:650992}}

Picea glauca 'Rainbow's End'. Wish I had a Spring time photo to show but I don't. A mutation on 'Albertiana Conica'. The first flush of growth is light green in color the second flush is a pleasant yellow giving the plant the appearance of a tiny Christmas tree decorated with lights.

{{gwi:650995}}

Picea glauca J. W. Daisy White'. Some discussion here on the forum as to correct cultivar name. Flushes white in the spring and has pale green to cream-tinted foliage through the summer. 1" 2" per year.

{{gwi:650997}}

Picea glauca 'Zukerhutt'. A miniature that grows less then 1" a year.

{{gwi:650999}}

Picea glauca 'Sanders Blue'. Blue with some green needles. Noted for being unstable for staying blue.

{{gwi:651002}}

Picea glauca 'Pendula'. Graceful narrow upright with bluish colored pendulous branches cascade down the trunk and flare out at the tips.

{{gwi:651003}}

Picea glauca 'Echiniformis'. Some discussion as to correctness of cultivar name on the larger one. I posted a second photo of a small plant...same cultivar name.

{{gwi:651005}}

{{gwi:651008}}

Comments (14)

• arceesmith
    15 years ago

WOW - that 'Blue Wonder' is, well, wonderous! I need one of those!

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

I've never had any luck with Picea glauca here in Tennessee. The spider mites eat them like candy!

K4

• affliction-acs
    15 years ago

Dave,

I just bought a Blue Wonder in December at a clearance sale. It was the last one standing kinda deal. Really nice colour but a bit thin. I hope it fills in soon. After seeing yours I'm glad I bought it.

Good stuff.

Darren

• jaro_in_montreal
    15 years ago

Dave,

You obviously need a Picea engelmannii 'Snake' :O)

I hope to get one from Darren this spring -- even though he hasn't posted any photos of his, on the nursery web site.

I found a good number of photos by Googling.... this particular snake seems somehow LESS weird than the others (like P.a. 'Fort Ann' for example), yet drastically different from your usual cultivars, to provide a great counterpoint....

• norcalconifers
    15 years ago

Dave have you ever seen a 'gnome'? Gets about 18 inches in 10 years. I really like it with pixe and rainbows end.
    Steven

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Hi Dave,

'J.W. Daisy White' is the wrong name for this plant.
    The true cultivar name now is 'Daisy's White'
    It's found in 1979 by L. Jeurisen-Wijnen from Belgium as a mutation on Picea glauca 'Conica' and the cultivar name he gave then to this plant was 'Conica Sulphurea'.
    Because this mutation was found after 1959 this cultivar name was changed in 'J.W. Daisy's White'
    J.W. = Jeurisen Wijnen
    Daisy = the name of the granddaughter of this person
    White = the colour of the new growth
    Later on the cultivar name was changed in only 'Daisy's White'
    The real true name is: Picea glauca var. albertiana 'Daisy's White'

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Later on the cultivar name was changed in only 'Daisy's White'"

Who did that and why?

Dave

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Hi Dave,

Yesterevening I called the Dutch nurseryman who brought this plant into the trade under license.
    He told me that the international licence committee didn't agree which such a long name with family names shortenings, so they give only permission to use the cultivarname 'Daisy's White'.
    I hope now that this is clear to you.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

super work and pix ... ken

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Hi Dave, everything of yours looks so nice...sigh. glauca tends to burn in the sun here; do you need to place yours with some shade, do they need more water than other conifers?
    The 'Pendula' I find to be exceptionally attractive. Perhaps you will provide some advice for growing it well too.

Thank you,
    Barbara

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning Barbara,

I hope you are not a state worker...lol

No special treatment for all my Picea glauca's.

I don't know why yours would burn...nothing any hotter then Kansas in July and August and mine suffer no burn problems in full sin. Maybe you have some other underlying issues that are causing them to appear to have burn issues.

Young and tender plants I do protect for at least a year and then plant in a permanent location. 'Rainbow's End' new flush will suffer burn if not offered some protection till it acclimates.

The 'Pendula' has no special growing needs. A beautiful cultivar. I have two of them. A great focal point conifer.

When it is hot I hose them down regularly two to three times a week along with all the other cultivars. Aside from the needed cool down this will flush out the dreaded spider mites that some of us have issues with. I have never suffered any damage from these insects and I believe the regular hose down keeps me free of them.

Thanks for your positive comment about my garden.

Dave

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

Dave,

Where did you get your stone lantern seen in the background on some of these pics? I like that one.

Thanks!
    K4

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    15 years ago

I wonder how well Picea glauca 'Blue Wonder' would take to growing in a large hypertufa container? I could place it near the hose pole so I could douse it down about every day - Like K4 mentioned, mites are a huge problem here with that particular species.

Marshall

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

K4...

The stone lantern was purchased from a nursery in Kansas City. I'll see if I can get some information on the company who makes them and get back with you.

Dave

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH