Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clusty1

guidance

clusty1
11 years ago

Hey,

A friend let me take a small bit of his tree in hope i'll manage to root it.
Unfortunately he does not know the species, thus it is hard for to google around how it can be rooted.

Anybody could tell me the name (I suspect it is a conifer).
Think every single "side branch" is a separate candidate for rooting, or I should plant it in it's current form ?

The whole length is about 4-5 inch.

Also any hints how to root it are appreciated.

This post was edited by clusty on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 18:11

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

norfolk island pine ...

find latin name ..... google if root-able ...

not sure its actually a pine ... let alone a conifer ..

the few conifers that root.. root on last years wood.. which would be brown ...

they are pretty cheap at bigboxstore... i would not invest much in trying to root it ... but i would never turn down an experiment ...

might get help in the houseplant forum ...

ken

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Coral Reef Araucaria Araucaria columnaris.

It won't work as a cutting - it might root, but it'll never develop a new upright lead shoot, remaining permanently as a 'side branch'.

Resin

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Norfolk pine (Araucaria heterophylla) is a conifer found on Norfolk island in the pacific ocean.

It's one of my favorite houseplants. I say house plant as it is not the slightest bit hardy and should not be exposed to temperatures below 40 degrees F. They sell them in the grocery stores around christmas and sadly see people planting them in their yards.

I currently have 5 tiny ones and one 4 footer named Norm, yeah I'm the type that names their plants =). I've had Norm since he was about 6 inches tall.

They grow quite slow when young but then speed up with age. I expect it will start outgrow my 7 foot ceiling in a few more years. Hopefully I will have added a room on to the house with a vaulted ceiling that it can live in until I have to say goodbye. I absolutely love this tree even though it takes up quite a bit of room. It's worth it if you have the space and some good light. These trees can grow to over 100 feet tall in the wild.

When young they have a very nice droopy look like long green dreadlocks. My wife loves touching the soft foliage. When mature the branches begin to grow upward and have quite a different look.

Resin is the expert and he is correct that your side branch will always be a side branch and grow irregularly. If you were to root the leader from the original tree then you would have normal tree, but that would ruin the original tree. I would wait and keep your eye out for one. I see them sold every year where I live in Southern Indiana. They are often sold in the floral section at the Supermarket. Sometimes they cover them in glitter though. My big one still has a few old branches with that awful stuff stuck to it lol =(

Good luck whatever you decide.

• clusty1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Will see how the new tree looks, just for kicks.
    ...or experience. I seem to have issues rooting cuttings of everything else than an ivy :)