Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ndas2976

Pinus Mugo Schweizer Tourist, Golden Globe, & Nana Balcanica Aure

ndas2976
11 years ago

I have a chance at getting these pines but only can find out a little info on the Schweizer and nothing on the other 2. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with them.

Comments (11)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Our friends at European Nursery provide nice photos of each plant.
    And apparently they are available for sale from there as well!
    See link below.

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: European Nursery

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey ndas ... WELCOME ...

first off.. you have me wildly confused ... are you saying you actually walked away from them .. w/o buying ... to research them..

crikey man .. buy first .... then ask questions .. lol ...

BTW.. sams link didnt work for me.. i had to use the SEARCH function on the page .. with the latin mugo name.. and up it popped .. the other two.. you are lacking some of the latin ...

when i first started.. i was adverse to latin names of everything.. in conifers.. we need full latin.. to be precise .. to insure we are talking about the same plant ...

anything that has a beach ball shape.. can be called a 'globe' .. so we need to know what species you are talking about ...

below is a primer on conifers ... pay attention to the CONIFER SIZE section ... the annual growth rate is key to understanding how big your plants will be in 10.. 20 .. and 30 years ... most estimates are at 10 years .. and they double in size in 20 ...

the yellow mugo looks very nice.. its probably a winter color ... and i dont know about the others.. w/o the full name ... i can speculate.. but why waste time.. talking about the wrong plant ...

so.. more info.. and perhaps.. tell us.. what you want to know ...

come back often ... we are great enablers ...

ken

ps: up near your name.. you have simply... 6b ... if you can go to your members page.. and add the closest city.. you will forestall being asked where you are .. ALL the time ... zone is simply to large and divergent of an area to help you specifically ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ken
    My garden center in New Jersey can get them for me. They are coming from European nursery. I talked to Jan at European and he was only able to tell me that they are a slower grower than the p. mugo Carstens'. I tried searching for more info and only the p. mugo Schweizer tourist comes up with a little info and nothing comes up on the p. mugo golden globe or the p. mugo nana balcanica aurea.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Hi,

Which garden center in NJ is it (name and city please), if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks,
    Alex

11 years ago

ok.. you read the intro.. yes???

pic at the link ...

look at the pic.. from the bud tips.. down to the place where it branches [i dont see such in this pic BTW] .. was last years growth ... w/o a scale.. but based on my experience.. let me guess that it grew 6 to 8 inches ...

and per the intro.. it will grow at that rate for the rest of your life.. if the transplant works ....

carstens is much more easily researched.. and perhaps you will find it grow 8+ inches per year.. if your guy knows what he is talking about ...

i have a feeling.. that joy might pop in.. and give us a better name for the Nana ... which might make getting info easier ...

frankly.. that mugo is sublime.. buy it.. plant it.. and if in 10 years.. it doesnt fit in the space.. get rid of it.. do not SELECT on size alone.. you will have a very boring collection ...

ken

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maple grove
    Fairfield Garden Center in Fairfield

Thanks Ken

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Pinus mugo 'Nana Balcanica Aurea' is a true cultivar name for a yellow one found in Poland or the Czech Republic.

I'm not familiar with a Pinus mugo 'Golden Globe'.
    It could be a mistake for 'Golden Glow'...

• ndas2976
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Coniferjoy
    Do you know any info on the nana balcanica aurea. Jan at European said it grows less than 1 inch a year. What's your thoughts on the Schweizer tourist?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

I'm not familiar with the Pinus mugo 'Nana Balcanica Aurea' (please write proper spelling) yet.
    Maybe I'll receive some scions of this beauty this year or next year.
    Growing less then one inch per year sounds very interesting to me!

The 'Schweizer Tourist' is a beauty as well.
    It does have very white buds at this time of year which will make a beautiful colour combination with the golden coloured needles.
    In good growing circumstances it can grow 4 inches per year.
    {{gwi:651594}}

11 years ago

Pinus mugo 'Nana Balcanica Aurea' (please write proper spelling) yet.

==>> its the form of the latin name he insists on ... as you spelled it all the same ...

if you are interested in conifers.. and inclined towards collecting some.. its very important to learn the full latin names .. it insures we are all talking about the same plant ...

and joy is our resident pitbull regarding such .. lol ..

ken

ps:
    nana= smaller version
    aurea= yellow/white tissue
    balcanica= who the heck knows what that means.. one might think the region it came from

11 years ago

in my world ...

take out the balcanica ... add the proper species:obtusa ... and you end up with:

chamaecyparis obtusa nana aurea

which is google-able.. see link ...

and that is the potential of your plant ... PRESUMING those plants are properly named ... lol.. its a vicious circle ...

and if joy wants to tell us that the word balcanica makes the plant significantly different.. i say prove it with a picture ....

when you get in the Cham obtusas.. there are a million names.. but only a few shapes ... and sizes ....

and do note.. as suggested above.. we havent even discussed if they will work in your area ....

ken

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm