Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cristate leader on Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

Posted by abciximab 7b/8 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 19:01

Today while shearing my Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret', I noticed the leader had cristate-like growth. Last year, 2-3 lower branches had the same type of growth. How common is this? Also, last year I had a Taxodium distichum 'Falling Water' with the same cristate-like growth in which I removed and grafted. It grafted successfully and hopefully will show the cristate growth this growing season.
Should I graft the cristate growth from the 'Peve Minaret'?

Patrick

photo IMG_20140227_140508371_zps8f999f5f.jpg

photo IMG_20140227_140646000_HDR_zps1dc055f1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cristate leader on Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

That sort of growth is called fasciation; in other words, cristate. If left to its own devices it might turn out very interesting.

Beyond that, the tree is far too close to the fence.

This post was edited by jean001a on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 0:49

o

I'd wait to graft this one until you see what the others you grafted do. Also, since you'd have to top this one, that would give me pause. Now, if some side shoots fasciate again, then I'd have at it.

tj

PS I've heard of shearing a 'Peve Mineret' like that, but never had the nerve to do that. Looks like it works well. How narrow does that keep it when it leafs out?

o

i would like to see it leafed out.. either last year.. of this year .... if you dont have a current pic

please and thx

ken

o

Jean Thanks for your placement recommendation/critique. It's at least 4 foot away from the 8 foot fence. It was intentionally planted close to the fence because I shear it yearly and it'll never touch the fence. It takes 5 minutes. I have a 20 foot ladder and a 20 foot pole saw so I'll keep it narrow for some time to come.

Taxodium takes shearing/pruning very well. I have several other Taxodium cultivars that I shear too. In early spring, the 'Peve Minaret' looks really unique as leaves push before any new stem growth. Everyone always wants to know what kind of tree it is. I'll try to remember to get some early spring pictures. The following pictures, from last September, are the same 'Peve Minaret' 7 months after shearing last February. It's starting to fill in better every year. It takes several cycles of shearing for it to start being more full. Each sheared branch will push 1-2 new branches.

photo IMG_6904_zps0ba92668.jpg

photo IMG_6905_zpse1c350c7.jpg

photo IMG_6906_zpsaeb50d7a.jpg

o

beautiful tree

o

that is pretty aggressive for Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

almost as aggressive as my PM ... which was pointed out as not such by someone with a lot of joy .. lol

i like the pruning idea... the weirder the better.. eh??? ... lol

and with the pruning.. who cares what it really is ...

i might have to try this on my PM ... simply because i dont need a Td where it stands ....

ken

o

I apologize. After going to my greenhouse, I realized my weeping cultivar with cristate growth is 'Cascade Falls' instead of 'Falling Water' as previously mentioned. Last year I grafted the abnormal growth and it continued to show in the 1st seasons growth as can be seen on the branch tips in the following pictures. Hopefully it will continue to show this type of growth.

photo IMG_20140228_122321568_HDR_zps160633f0.jpg

photo IMG_20140228_122302858_zpsa7c9bf0d.jpg

photo IMG_20140228_122246315_zps94a1a81e.jpg

photo IMG_20140228_122402547_zps70d61963.jpg
 photo IMG_20140228_122441804_zpsc12bf480.jpg

o

I have same thing with 3 of different MC-BC hybrids. It's rather annoying to tell you the truth because I wanted a single dominant central leader. I chopped central leaders on two of them and will find out soon enough if it works or not.

Anyone know why they do that?

o

Great work, Patrick. Do you fertilizer the PM to get that kind growth each year? Its hard to imagine each of those branches was last year's growth.

tj

o

Your first pic with foliage looks like a monkey puzzle tree to me. Way cool effect with that pruning!

o

From a distance, it looks like giant marijuana buds to me.
Mike

o

Seeing that I have two BC dwarf "Jim's Little Guy", I'm going to play with one to see if ABC's way will produce similar results for the fun of it. It looks pretty cool!

o

The September pics look great!

o

I have a Lindsey's Skyward- would it be a candidate for this? It is almost the same form as PM.

o

I have a small 'Lindsey's Skyward' that I pruned to the trunk in the exact way as above. I did it once to refresh the tree. It might look weird if you shear it for a few years and then allow the high, unreachable top portion of the tree to grow naturally. The tree would be tight and congested at the bottom and more open and loose at the top....not attractive in my opinion. If you plan on yearly shearing, then go for it. It must be dormant when pruning.

o

do you guys want me to start sending out applications for my club: THE WEIRDER THE BETTER club???

and mike.. botan .... why do you know what those buds look like?? ... lol ...

ken

o

On the Internet, Ken!
It's fairly legal here. I don't grow it myself because I'm not sick enough (my wife disagrees) for a medical license to grow it. That's the way I understand it, but haven't checked up on the exact rules. No need to. Besides, I grow trees and shrubs, not perennials. :-)
Mike

o

Here is the same Taxodium 'Peve Minaret' as of May 20, 2014. Less than 3 months ago I completely sheared the tree. It's starting to fill in nicely.

photo IMG_20140520_163510881_zps6703c955.jpg

o

• Posted by conon 6b, Southern, IN (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 12:59

Very interesting pruning of your 'Peve Minaret". I've never heard of doing that with a Taxodium. I love it and want to try it when my tree goes dormant this fall/winter. My question is - Will this work on my PM that has never been pruned? Mine is about 20 feet tall and about four feet wide.

Thanks for posting and any advice that you can give.

Conon, southern Indiana,

o

abciximab, Please keep us posted with progress photos...very interesting.
Looks like yours is in full sun? Possibly going on 9'?

Thanks
Al

o

Works on larches, too.

o

Looks good, Patrick. You'll have to keep us posted on the cristate growth as well.

Thanks.

tj

o

Looks excellent!

Good to know also about the larches unpro, I might like to try that with an occidentalis.

o

abciximab,
Looking good. Your pics from last Sept are awesome. We always appreciate the pics. Thanks again for the tour.

Arktrees

o

Hahaha, Oh wow. Looks pretty funky but I like it!

Interestingly, SFASU arboretum posted a picture of MC-BC hybrid T-502s being pruned to the trunk over the winter and now showing current picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: T-502

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here